Indoor rollercoaster needed for alton towers.

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
SpinballEdders

I find Dark Coasters in General brilliant, Like Space Mountain: Mission 2, Rock and Roller Coaster and even X:/ No Way Out! :P

I would love Alton to get another Dark Coaster,it would be amazing, but I can't see it happening :(
mathmos

ryanyoxall wrote: I don't think that Alton Towers need one or that they will get one, as Merlin like to make big spectacles of their roller coasters (apart from Th13teen) and an indoor roller coaster isn't something you can enjoy watching when not riding. Like John Wardley said "People not riding should be able to enjoy it as much as people who are riding" and you cannot enjoy watching a building.

Maybe I'm being harsh on indoor coasters as the only one I've been on is X/.No Way Out. Although Roller Coaster with a indoor and a outdoor sections are nice, like Saw.
I think an enclosed coaster will be done at Alton again in the future.
The same could be said about the haunted house, Charlie or any other dark ride around the world, if you don't ride all you get to see is the facade of the attraction.
If the ride is themed as good on the outside as on the inside, the ride itself is thrilling enough to gain notoriety and has the scare/excitement factor it would be an instant classic like Black Hole was all those years back.
Black Hole had zero theming on the outside but was a classic in it's own rite and became an Alton institution to ride.
In today's futuristic world to achieve a mega hit dark coaster you need overall theming and this could be done better than ever in today's world with the technology and higher standards of theming we have now, giving people something to see on the outside.
AstroDan

WUZE town style building in Coaster Corner.

It staggers me they haven't done it already...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Dormiens-Dave

Coaster Corner has an Iron Age hill fort through a part of it, never going to get permission for a big building up there.
AstroDan

I had no idea.

That's that dream over.

:(

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
BigAl

How have they constructed rides there in the past though? There must be some part of that area that can be used? It seems a shame to just leave it as nothing for the rest of eternity. :/
Dormiens-Dave

Most of the stuff in Coaster Corner previously where traveling versions of rides so no impact to the fort was made (as its all underground archaeology). They could build up there but it would have to be strategic.
CoasterCrazyChris

Dormiens-Dave wrote: Most of the stuff in Coaster Corner previously where traveling versions of rides so no impact to the fort was made (as its all underground archaeology). They could build up there but it would have to be strategic.
Any ride and associated theme would need to be sympathetic to the Flag Tower as well.

:)
BigAl

Perhaps they could build a dark coaster in a similar style to travelling coasters? The numerous ugly girders that hold the travelling rides up wouldn't matter as you wouldn't see them anyway. The building could be formed around what's underground so as not to interfere with it?
mathmos

Doesn't stop them building one elsewhere in the park if they genuinely cannot build on that area at all.
That is a shame as coaster corner was a great bit of the park and sadly missed, I doubt we will see any other attractions re open there that aren't enclosed because of the noise.
Jak3 Mac

YES! GENIUS!!!
Charlee

Im gonna sound like a complete noob here but, what is the coaster corner? :?
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
CoasterCrazyChris

Charlee wrote: Im gonna sound like a complete noob here but, what is the coaster corner? :?
It's the closed off area behind the Ice Age cinema in front of the Flag Tower.

It gets its name from the fact it once housed three coasters during the 1980's (Alton Mouse, Alton Beast and Mini Apple).

As it is very close to the nearby Alton village it was closed off in the early 90's after noise complanits from residents.

BigAl

This bit...

Image courtesy of someone on here. :P
oldgitBEN

an indoor coaster? Im not against this, however I would sooner see an entire indoor area built with perhaps a small coaster as part of this area.

Alton desperately need more indoor attractions, and if they truly aim to be a year round attraction there needs to be alot more indoor attractions than currently exist. Alot more.

In my mind the FV car park area would be the best choice, extend another pathway from Splash into the indoor section (via the golf) to a place with several levels and indoor attractions, include a restaurant too and then access to FV.
So when winter rolls around and maintenance, guests could enter from the hotels into the nice family indoor area and then outside to 2 big coasters and a family flat ride.

I realise Im probably just having a pipe dream, but we simply do not have the weather for alton to be open all year round and expect people to be out in the cold/rain/snow for days.
BigAl

If they built an indoor section on the car park near Air that could be accessed by the hotels over winter then that would be amazing! It would probably cost a lot of money to get up and running, but I think that adding rides to an indoor section for winter use would get more people to stay at the hotels and obviously spend money to go on the rides. And the land between Air and Splash Landings is quite a significant amount of space too. The only problem I can think of is what sort of coaster they'd put in there? I'm inclined to say a family thrill like Th13teen or the Runaway Mine Train. Perhaps a Mack E-Motion coaster with a small dark ride area with a few effects, etc... before a coaster section around the dome?

I'd rather see a big coaster on that car park, but it would be seen and heard from the hotels, so I'm not sure if that would work as well as an indoor area. Either way, I can't wait to hear when they will do something with that space and what they plan to build on it.

Last edited by BigAl on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instant Mix

I think what alton really needs are more flats , rather than more coasters. Honestly, all we have right now is the rather slow Sub-Par , blade , ripsaw , Enterprise and Submission.  Enterprise is on it's way out and submission was a pretty bad investment anyway considering you can literally feel your testicles being crushed by the horrifically  uncomfortable restraints, so we could really do with some quite thrilling flats.
Benjsh

I have been saying it for years, Indoor rides are the best bet for the park. Height restrictions, Noise complaints and inclement weather....It's a no brainer really isn't it?

Obviously the odd coaster like next year's is important too, and very much welcome, but rather than adding pointless flat rides in between that have a very limited lifespan.....I wish they would just add more indoor / dark rides. They have far more potential in terms of theming, which creates a much better experience and also a greater lifespan as they are not exposed to the bad weather all year round.

However we did get IA and Sub Terra this year so it might be a while until we see anything else, especially with the Massive investment in SW7.
MattsDesigns

true and from Merlins POV its added incentive for people to come during challenging weather.

It could be amazing but if they do make one I hope they go for something spacey or magical or fantasy or something - I just think there are enough horror rides now, not that thats wrong - you can't go without some.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
BigAl

Benjsh wrote: Obviously the odd coaster like next year's is important too, and very much welcome, but rather than adding pointless flat rides in between that have a very limited lifespan.....I wish they would just add more indoor / dark rides.
Alton Towers hasn't installed an ordinary thrill flat for years. And what about Ripsaw? That's lasted for many years and isn't pointless at all. It's a great example of how a white knuckle flat ride should be done. I'd love for Merlin to fund a few more flats like Ripsaw because they are great filler attractions that look impressive and soak-up the queues from other major attractions. They're also brilliant fun!