what do you think would be a good area re-theme?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
ATJoseph

but theres another huge problem with oblivion
its boring its just up-turn-hang-drop-overbank-end its so boring either they need  to remove it or improve it
RyanY

ATJoseph wrote: but theres another huge problem with oblivion
its boring its just up-turn-hang-drop-overbank-end its so boring either they need  to remove it or improve it
Just no I mean that's the whole point of oblivion and any extensions would just ruin it.
BigAl

They don't need to "improve" Oblivion; it does what it was always meant to do perfectly. Yes, it needs paint. But does it need a radical change? Nope. The public love this ride, it's got a huge throughput and it's very reliable.

If Merlin wanted to turn enthusiasts and the public against Alton Towers (which would ruin an iconic brand and loose them a hell of a lot of money) then they could remove Oblivion. They aren't daft though, so they won't. :roll:

Storybook Land doesn't need changing either. It just needs improving and expanding. The theming around that area is superb and is perfect for young children. All that it needs needs is a little love. You wouldn't want it to be replaced with some garish, loud and contrasting theme as it would work against the magical entrance that the park needs. :)
CoasterCrazyChris

Well you could say that I suppose.

I personally feel the success of ride is highly dependent on its theming and effects. For example if the steam is not working properly or at all, or you are not held at the holding point for long enough, or you don't build up the tension whilst queuing because the videos are off - I feel the ride experience is greatly depleted. 

This is why, if the park want Oblivon to have real staying power in the park and remain popular for at least the next few decades, they MUST invest in getting it back up to scratch.

And no Alton Towers, that does not mean slapping a bit of garish orange paint on a cafe and letting everything else rot!

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinballEdders

it's boring? Oblivion's probably the most thrilling ride at Alton
BigAl

What about a polar/snow themed area? That would certainly be a fresh theme for the park to explore and they could be very creative. The main area could be a village with shops and food stands disguised as tents made from (faux) hide. The entrance could feature fake snow and ice which gradually becomes more built up for a smooth transition from the rest of the park to As for rides, I'd love to see a well-themed, rustic looking bobsleigh (similar to Bobbaan at Efteling), or perhaps a powered terrain coaster themed to husky dogs pulling a sleigh (would need to be made differently to the mine train)? This would be a family themed area which could tie-in with the Ice Age 4D cinema. The most suitable location would obviously be in Coaster Corner next to the theatre. That way it could help to prolong the life of the Ice Age IP (an extra year or two?) and make use of wasted empty space. Building something there is risky which is why family rides would help to minimise screaming and noise from large, fast-moving rides.

That's another idea anyway. :)
Last edited by BigAl on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't_Look_Down

ATJoseph wrote: It think oblivions lost its whole impact on the park it think its time to say goodbye to oblivion forever and welcome
Miners drop in Fort/Port Discovrey based on the finding of diamonds with powers!
What?  :|

Oblivion is probably the most iconic ride in the UK, and still terrifies people to the point where they won't even go on it.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
James

It's not a boring ride, you just think it is.

It is still very popular with the public and the appeal of it is that the drop IS the ride, it's not trying to be something it isn't, it's imposing, it's thrilling, it fears even the strongest of people. It continues to this day to scare and thrill the public.

How would they 'improve it' pray tell? Let me guess, chuck on a few 'upside down' bits of track after the drop? Never going to happen.
Last edited by James on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheepie

Just to add to the previous posts regarding an Oblivion/ X Sector retheme. I personally think that any retheme would just not do the ride and the rest of the area justice at all. Oblivion was practically made for this theme. Take Sheikra at Busch Gardens Tampa, it is longer, has a different theme and has many more features going for it, yet, in my opinion, Oblivion is the better ride as it has more drama and has much more of an impact.

I would love to see the X- Sector, theme expanded upon. It is a brilliant concept that has always fascinated me. A mixture of 1984 and a sinister government experiment. I believe the only way Oblivion can be improved is to fix the holding break- it holds some shuttles for less time than others (I'm not too sure on the technical specifics). Also to have the mist constantly on and at a good level, with a freshly painted track/ immaculate queueline with TVs working... then Oblivion will be perfect once again.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
BSwiss

BigAl wrote: What about a polar/snow themed area? That would certainly be a fresh theme for the park to explore and they could be very creative. The main area could be a village with shops and food stands disguised as tents made from (faux) hide. The entrance could feature fake snow and ice which gradually becomes more built up for a smooth transition from the rest of the park to As for rides, I'd love to see a well-themed, rustic looking bobsleigh (similar to Bobbaan at Efteling), or perhaps a powered terrain coaster themed to husky dogs pulling a sleigh (would need to be made differently to the mine train)? This would be a family themed area which could tie-in with the Ice Age 4D cinema. The most suitable location would obviously be in Coaster Corner next to the theatre. That way it could help to prolong the life of the Ice Age IP (an extra year or two?) and make use of wasted empty space. Building something there is risky which is why family rides would help to minimise screaming and noise from large, fast-moving rides.

That's another idea anyway. :)
I think it was last winter, someone put up pictures of X Sector caked in snow. It had a Siberian facility look about it. Kind of simulaneously beautiful and foreboding.
BigAl

Merlin just need to install snow machines in X-Sector then and rename the area to X-Cекторный. I think that might cover any cracks and dodgy paintwork! :P
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

In a ideal world;
  • Adventure Land into a Retro Gaming land
  • X-Sector gets a general spruce up with items of theming and fresh licks of paint here and there.
  • Dungheap revamped into a site of a small children's coaster. Farmyard updated to look new. More animals.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
dominoes

I would love to see something done to the Forbiden Valley. Apart from the alien thing, the area is fairly generic... Maybe there shouldn't be a re-theme, but I think it should be made more fantastical.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

dominoes wrote: I would love to see something done to the Forbiden Valley. Apart from the alien thing, the area is fairly generic... Maybe there shouldn't be a re-theme, but I think it should be made more fantastical.
But Nemmy was built around that area, it'd only happen if Nemmy went, with Terry.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
CoasterCrazyChris

Adventureland does feel like a very pointless and generic area. It needs something doing with it. If Spinball is to stay put in that location the area needs breaking off from Storybook Land and a new themed area created for it. I don't think The Beastie site is large enough for a modern children's coaster so a family flat would work best at the back of the area. Or maybe create a new building with interactive gaming features based around Sega video games.
BigAl

Something Egg Man or Robotnic or even Tails related that lifts up and then spins around? :D

I'd like to see a new attraction for Storybook Land on the Ice Show tent site. Merlin have no intentions of getting a new show up and running or we'd have heard something by now, so get rid of the tent and create a new kids coaster on it. Vekoma and Mack do great kids coasters and they hardly cost anything but fill the gap in Alton's line-up that needs filling desperately.

CoasterCrazyChris

Everybody is quick to say how X-Sector is the worst area of the park but Storybook Land probably clinches that title I would say.

I don't think the park have spent a penny on it in years - it's just terrible. The theming is rotting and faded and everything is messily overgrown.

Why do the park let this happen to their premium rides?

Both Oblivion and Squirrel Nutty are the flagship rides in their respective categories, but both of them along with the areas they sit in are decaying.

BigAl

The rustic look suits some parts of Storybook Land but some other aspects are just downright tatty now and it's an utter shame that the park hasn't done anything about it! I think something would have been done to the area last year with the proposed Shrek 4D Cinema but that fell flat on its face. :/
Nightfall

fredward wrote: X-Sector becoming VALVeland

The Half-Life IP would be the most epic IP in any theme park... especially since the G-Man is very similar to the Lord of Darkness, and a Portal themed dark ride for SW7 would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't care if it's not an original IP... it would be amazing.
I did have a really clever idea for a Portal themed ride. From the outside it was simply going to be called Test Centre. The queue would involve several physical and mental exercises (think of Kinect games for the physical stuff). You would then boarded a vehicle to take you to the other side of the facility but shortly after leaving the station walls start to fall away to reveal Aperture Science, only then would the rides true name be revel. Following would have been a rollercoaster taking place in a similar manner to the ending of Portal 2.

I am still thinking of making it for RCT but obviously it would require a lot of custom scenery. I did make a couple of animated panels but I couldn't get the animations working... at the time.

I think the whole idea of going on a ride to be tested would work amazingly as a dark ride story.

That aside I think Steam Punk would fit Alton really well. What makes the park unique is that unlike many other theme parks it already has the underlying theme of an abandoned gothic house. Steam Punk would complement that quite well.
[align=center]Image[/align]
DomB

I think Adventure Land has personally lost its identity completely. Sonic works with the area, but it could definitely do with some form of makeover, maybe the retro gaming thing that others have suggested.

It also now only has one ride and could really do with a flat and another kiddie coaster to take the burden off Sonic.