Next Concert?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
BigAl

Actually, Radiohead stated on Radio 1 that they think Kings of Leon are the best band in the world without anyone even mentioning them. :)
Blaze

Yep, and they were not being truthfull. Plus they were talking to Radio 1. The music Radiohead are into isn't exactly down with the R1 crowd.

Album launched do skew things, but between that, when no one has a new record to promote, it's pretty much unamimous that U2 are in a league of their own. The 360 tour atests to that.

In October, Coldplay were called the biggest band many times, this October, Muse will be. It's just journalism and record companies trying to make some money. :)
BigAl

But talk to average Joe and the chances are they'll say they like Kings of Leon. Their music reaches a wider audience as it isn't the usual garbage that Radio 1 play. Plus, they make their own music, sing without being auto tuned, play their own instruments very well, have meaningful songs rather than repetitive noise and are well received wherever they play.

U2 just don't have the same appeal to younger audiences. I like them but I know that I'm one of few out of my entire school. Coldplay would also suit Alton very well and would probably be more likely to play at Alton Towers. Not sure about Muse though, although I also like them too.

I'm just going to make one more suggestion. The Who! *runs off and hides* :P
NemmyJunkie

I want Ed Sheeran to come to AT ! :D
formula1fan

If Towers managed to get an act to come to AT as a part of their tour anyway (i.e. not a special extra date - one that was planned for the original schedule), then it could be a real money-spinner for the park. For example, I have a feeling that Muse will be touring in either 2013 or 2014, so to get them to play at AT would be a massive coup. What could be better? Have a great day out at one of the world's most famous theme parks, and end it with a performance from one of the world's best bands at Alton Towers?
Poison Tom 96

please please don't have Coldplay. people come to the park to enjoy themselves not hear some depressing music!
Blaze

BigAl wrote: But talk to average Joe and the chances are they'll say they like Kings of Leon. Their music reaches a wider audience as it isn't the usual garbage that Radio 1 play. Plus, they make their own music, sing without being auto tuned, play their own instruments very well, have meaningful songs rather than repetitive noise and are well received wherever they play.

U2 just don't have the same appeal to younger audiences. I like them but I know that I'm one of few out of my entire school. Coldplay would also suit Alton very well and would probably be more likely to play at Alton Towers. Not sure about Muse though, although I also like them too.

I'm just going to make one more suggestion. The Who! *runs off and hides* :P
Actually the average person would be much more likely to say U2. I wish it wasn't so as I despise them, but it's true, plus KOL deffinately do not reach a wider audience, Sex On Fire is sooo deep. ;) Ok yes, ther older stuff maybe but since the album that was on, they've just been a pop band dressed up with the rock'n'roll look. Just a bearded Take That, as I said.

It's unlikely Muse would due to capacity and demand; they did a similar size gig or two on the last tour but only in countries where they aren't quite as popular. It would be difficult to get a band who can sell Wembley stadium twice in an hour to play Alton.
Poison Tom 96 wrote: please please don't have Coldplay. people come to the park to enjoy themselves not hear some depressing music!
You obviously haven't listened to much Coldplay recently, have you? Their last few albums have been nausiatingly upbeat.

Again, like the rest of the 'big four', U2, Muse and Radiohead, they're just too big for Alton to handle. They put on a brilliant show, they could do much worse, but I wouldn't attend.
muttlee

I think in reality we are more likely to see the kind of act that do the summer evening concert circuits. AT isn't able to provide enough capacity and infrastructure on park for the stadium acts, and tempting / affording groups to do this kind of event as a one off is much harder than if they are on a tour of Summer Concert events.

The Forestry Commission are one producer of these events, running different gig locations throughout the country, normally rotating the same acts around all of them. Their lineup this year includes Plan B, Will Young, The Wanted, Razorlight, Steps, Alfie Boe, Ed Sheeran, Madness, The Wombats, and The Darkness.

Other producers will offer a variety of shows over a weekend, such as a Classical Orchestra / three tennors style gig on the Friday night, a Pop act on the Saturday, and a 70s / 80s / 90s act on the Sunday. I think the idea of running three slightly different gigs on consecutive nights would work well for AT, with the costs of the infrastructure being spread over three events for a short time period, the ability to market a "season ticket" for all the concerts, and the option of doing hotel packages for the weekends etc.

The other thing that some producers are trying is bringing west end type shows to outdoor concerts. We recently did a performance of Thriller Live! at Audley End as part of their summer concert weekend which went down really well. (see below!)

Last edited by muttlee on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Tom 96

Poison Tom 96 wrote: in regards to Mutiny bay Alestorm should play..... After all they are a pirate metal band :)
^maybe this was a bad idea. went to their gig last night and nearly broke every bone in my body!

Mosh pits @ AT would not be a good idea :D
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

With the Olympics this year, Alton will be likely to get more guests, and I cannot stress enough how much they should have at least one Summer Spectacular concert this year. But I guess Alton won't risk it since they got lower numbers than they expected for the last few concerts.

I don't care if it's another pop band, but it needs to be done.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
The gibon

all time low!!!
roary01

Everyone will shoot me down for this, but recently i went to one of the Steps Live shows, and they are now doing summer shows!
The show was really interactive with a dance game style part where they got everyone dancing the old moves... was an amazing show and since all the shows have been sold out im surprised Alton hasn't tried to get them to do a show in the summer as its definitely the family friendly act, and would definitely draw a crowd...

but who knows what they have planned for 2012...
oldgitBEN

I dont think I have seen anything regarding concerts for 2012 (please correct me if im wrong) which after many complaints about the parking and leaving the car parks also with areas and paths being closed I think some people didnt have great opinions of the towers as a concert venue.

I must admit Im abit of a concert snob, I wont 'stand' anywhere, I refuse to pay money to be unable to sit, have my own space (not surrounded by sweaty strangers) and have access to the beers without fighting through people. For that reason I would never go to towers as a venue, I go to a big old indoor arena, yeah the sound quality is often poor but I get my own space.
Blaze

oldgitBEN wrote:
I must admit Im abit of a concert snob, I wont 'stand' anywhere, I refuse to pay money to be unable to sit, have my own space (not surrounded by sweaty strangers) and have access to the beers without fighting through people.
But...But that's the fun! :)
Poison Tom 96

Blaze wrote:
oldgitBEN wrote:
I must admit Im abit of a concert snob, I wont 'stand' anywhere, I refuse to pay money to be unable to sit, have my own space (not surrounded by sweaty strangers) and have access to the beers without fighting through people.
But...But that's the fun! :)
Agreed Blaze

I wouldn't pay to sit tbh
oldgitBEN

Im sure its nice for you, but its just not for me.

What if you get stuck next to someone who sweats really bad, and has BO, then they dance about abit and that sweat lands on you *vom*. Or you really really need to wee and cant get past all the people blocking your way. No, no, its just not for me. Different folks and different stokes or whatever.

Are there any concerts planned for 2012?
Blaze

It's something you learn to live with. If you're sweaty and dancing jumping and moving as well, it doesn't matter. :)

I've sat at gigs and I've stood, and I prefer standing, plus it's normally cheaper, but it's not for everyone though, that's fair enough.

I doubt it; if there were to be any, surely they'd have announced them by now, especially after last year. Unless anyone knows something I don't.
Poison Tom 96

My friend went to the BEP gig at AT and apparently it was horrendous getting out from the park.
I wouldn't say AT are even adequate at handling traffic.

O.G.Ben I can see where your coming from but I agree with Blaze that when your going mental in the crowd you just don't care about it.

Gigs would have been announced by now me thinks.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

oldgitBEN wrote:

Are there any concerts planned for 2012?
Considering the timing of the announcements of he concerts last season. I doubt we will get anything, judging at no indication currenty.

I'm hoping for a British Band or collection for the Olympics. It could be a real marketing opportunity missed out for Alton.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Sazzle

I was saying yesterday when on park that its looking unlikely there'll be a concert this year - we'd already know about it, I'm sure!

The low guest numbers of BEP & the Live! concerts have probably scuppered budgets for any 2012 plans.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk