NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
PeteB

.Adam wrote: Guys, is this new:

http://www.altontowers.com/nemesis-sub- ... rs-wanted/

Asking for people who rode Nemesis in 1994 to apply to preview Sub Terra.
Finally! Something that really appeals to the older enthusiasts!

Step aside noobs... Grandad Pete coming through... Application sent!  :D
Tom G

I think I first rode in 1996 and was afraid of losing my Nike Air Max with the large bubble in...

I'm almost certain I didn't ride in the opening year as I used to visit semi-regularly with my grandma and she was terrified of rides - even to lett me go on. I don't think I was tall enough anyway as I was 8 or 9 when it opened. I think I can remember when it arrived though and given that I was super scared of it in 1996, the chances are I wouldn't have dared ride anyway.
Adam James

Currently loving the marketing going on with the viral Twitter account and the launch event with the original riders - this is top quality advertising from Merlin in my mind!  :)

I can imagine Forbidden Valley being rather busy during half term, particularly with Dark Forest and X Sector (bar Oblivion) being closed - so hopefully Sub-Terra will spark some interest with it being passed by a huge percentage of visitors heading to the thrill rides.

Oblivionesque "Keep Moving..Nothing to see here.." actors perhaps?  :D
adsyrah

I mentioned it before and I'm going to bring it up again.

The back of the seats really look like there's a hinge there - I think the ride seats will move backwards and forwards as well as up and down. I guess this could be for loading riders or it could make up part of the ride experience...

By adsyrah at 2012-01-16
Last edited by adsyrah on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Islander

^I mentioned something similar as well, but quickly got shot down and told that they'll use 'generic ride seats' in promo pictures, rather than anything accurate...
Dylan

The seats shown in the promo image are from a Gerstlauer Eurofighter. Which is why they have a hinge, as there should be OTSR's. The exact same 'hinge' is shown on the promo material for Krake, which I posted an image of to show this, and we know this to be a B&M.

Last edited by Dylan on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
adsyrah

I'm not convinced of your argument...

The promo image is clearly photoshopped, so if the hinges in the background weren't part of the ride they would have just erased them from the image completely.

There's no oversights when it comes to these promo images (especially this close to the ride opening) - the fact they've added in a hand bar in front of the riders in the new picture won't be an accident either.

Personally, I think this is an accurate depiction of what the seats will look like. Fair enough if you don't!
thefatone

Merlin have a habit of using wrong restraints for rides - it's not accurate.

Biggest ones from my memory is stealth promo art using infernos seats (later photoshopped black?) and Krake using eurofighter (as above).

The whole point of the imagery is to show what the rides gonna do or relatively look like. This is why they wouldn't photoshop out what is blatantly a OTSR when this ride has lapbars.
adsyrah

As I said, the back of the seats stick out like a sore thumb. I think that if they weren't part of the ride they would have been erased.

Guess we'll have to see what we have in 7 weeks!
Dormiens-Dave

I personally think we will have a standard ABC drop tower lap bar and seats. Though i think a few 4D effects may be incorporated. They honestly would bother photoshopping out a hinge and as said even existing rides are never accurate (nemmie cars on vekoma track for instance)
Dylan

adsyrah wrote: I'm not convinced of your argument...
The seats on the photo-shopped Nemesis Sub-Terra promo are identical to the seats on the photo-shopped Krake promo.
We know for a fact that the seats on the photo-shopped Krake promo are incorrect as Krake is a B&M, and the seats shown are Gerstlauer.
The seats on the Nemesis Sub-Terra promo are also Gerstlauer and we know that it is an ABC ride.

I'm not entirely sure how that isn't convincing, but yes, we will see in 7 weeks time.

I think the focus of the promotional material is really about the people's expressions and surrounding images, and not about the tiny detail of a hinge next to a head-rest (which I hadn't even noticed)!
sheepie

This is reminding me of how everyone was over-analysing Thirteen's promotional material and then how lengthy discussions were invested into potential projection effects inside the crypt.

Speculation is good, in fact, it's great, I just prefer to remain realistic as to what we're going to expect from the ride. Often the more simple effects are more effective anyway!
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
Magrathea

May I remind everyone of this promo image which is still used to this day in places:

adsyrah

There are also promo images that have been accurate in representing an unopened ride:

By adsyrah at 2012-02-03

By adsyrah at 2012-02-03

I'm not overanalysing the Sub-Terra image, just seeing what's there. I just think it speaks volumes they left whatever's behind the seat in the image.
Boz

what about this one then, this was only last year

the final version appears to be missing the wings it was advertised with, hence why no one is reading too much into it

in fact here's another one of their promo images for an identical tower

the final version doesn't look anything like this
Last edited by Boz on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom G

There's no brick walling (effect) in the crypt and the lights on the front are fake ;)
Dobba

That second image Boz posted is possibly the worst promotional image for a ride I have ever seen.
JaykeAT

Dobba wrote: That second image Boz posted is possibly the worst promotional image for a ride I have ever seen.
it isn't a promo image, he was showing how raptor doesnt have the wings at the ends of the seats like it did  in the promo image
Poison Tom 96

the son on the hole wrote:
Dobba wrote: That second image Boz posted is possibly the worst promotional image for a ride I have ever seen.
it isn't a promo image, he was showing how raptor doesnt have the wings at the ends of the seats like it did  in the promo image

i think Dobba meant the second promo image
JaykeAT

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
the son on the hole wrote:

i think Dobba meant the second promo image

sorry,my bad
Last edited by JaykeAT on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.