NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AstroDan

aru wrote: Everyone has gone mental! Keep things in perspective or we'll end up with Thirteen disappointment MKII.  :lol:
They have not gone mental. People are merely looking at what appears to on the table here.

A basic ride, but with a pre show and post show. Rumoured entertainments staff involved, a story based ride, queueline TV's. An experienced based attraction. That's better than some of the drivel that has been churned out. A bit of a back to basics approach.

I doubt anyone here is billing in their head as the next Oblivion or worlds greatest experience or whatever. But personally I have jumped off the "it's 4 frog hoppers and will be c**p" bus and into the "actually, this might be kinda fun" bus.

:)

EDIT - Nightfall. The ride requires 1.2m. However, it is a 1.4m attraction. It is designed to scare and is not suitable for under age 12. However this will be advisory, not enforced - much like a Scare Maze concept.
Blaze

There's a difference between being optimistic and mental.

This topic hasn't always been very upbeat, now it finally is, it's maybe causing a bit of a slingshot effect, going maybe a touch more happy than it should be, but it will naturally level out at a nice, reasoned but optimistic level, as it should.

End of the day, it's a new ride at Alton Towers. The day I no longer look forward to it, the day I delete my account and stop being an enthusiast.
oldgitBEN

While quietly optimistic about this I will remind you of another alton ride that has:

a simple dark ride
a dark ride with an added experience
a dark ride based on a story
a pre-show room
the pre-show room has a projector rather than a tv
staff in a themed uniform

--

Yep, Charlie and the Cardboard Factory.

Just abit of perspective.
CoasterCrazyChris

Sam wrote: Oblivion has different types of tellies. The ones in the station are beautiful widescreen TVs, added a few years ago. The ones in the second queue building are new, but smaller. The ones in the first building are horrible CRTs.
I'm in the minority, but I think they suit the ride perfectly.

Removing them would be like stripping Oblivion of part of its identity, which is deeply rooted in the pre-millennium years. I think its important the Secret Weapon rides reflect the era they were conceived.

And besides, the Lord of Darkness doesn't look right with his face stretched out on a widescreen TV.

On the other hand, the Monorail stations really need sorting, as the gateway to the park large HD screens would be really effective at showing the park off. Little point though unless they shoot some new footage, which doesn't surprise me given the current state of the park.

With Sub-Terra, it's hardly a revelation it will have screens in the pre-show, this was pretty much assumed.

Dormiens-Dave

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
With Sub-Terra, it's hardly a revelation it will have screens in the pre-show, this was pretty much assumed.

The "revelation" for want of a better word was screens in the queue.
Nightfall

AstwoDan wrote: EDIT - Nightfall. The ride requires 1.2m. However, it is a 1.4m attraction. It is designed to scare and is not suitable for under age 12. However this will be advisory, not enforced - much like a Scare Maze concept.
This is what has been assumed not known. We are assuming 1.2 meters based on a normal Extremis tower. However rumours suggest this is not exactly the same (smaller trains with 4D cinema type effects). Therefore we don't know that the ride is 1.2 meters by default.

Again where has this under age 12 actual come from? I can believe it but I thought 12 was a random number someone guessed several pages back after spotting the 1.4 height limit.
[align=center]Image[/align]
James6

I do find it frustrating how someone says one positive thing and suddenly it's "over-hyped" -.-

Every update there is I seem to be a little more impressed, which considering how I felt towards the start (not too bothered) is pretty exciting :)
Last edited by James6 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Poison Tom 96

Afraid to say I shall add to hype. Aren't the Dungeons a big preshow? Simple design system that feels amazing

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk
mezza

It's true that everything is looking really positive for Sub-Terra.  And I see absolutely no reason to resist getting caught up in excitement about it.

The thing with Sub-Terra as opposed to Th13teen is that for the AT enthusiast, there's nothing to lose with Sub Terra.

Th13teen was the park's first rollercoaster for five years, and the first SW for eight years, and was the replacement to the iconic Corkscrew.  So regardless of the hype generated by the park or this forum, the stakes were high.  Th13teen had to be amazing.

On the other hand, Sub Terra is an interim attraction, that replaces two crappy, unthemed pay per play attractions.  Anything would be better than what was there before, and the expenditure isn't huge, so we don't need to fret too much about other things the park could have spent the money on.

If Sub Terra is amazing, then that's fantastic.  If it's underwhelming - ah well - we've got a huge rollercoaster to look forward to in twelve months time.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Boz

i was, to say the least, very disapointed with the choice of ride type, but as has been said already, hex's isn't amazing but with the full experience, is one of the best dark rides in the uk.
the marketing around this new ride is something AT, and it's fans, haven't seen scince oblivion (i think it's fair to say that),
only with modern methods such as twitter.
with effectively four stages of ride experience plus an immersive queue line, this has all the hallmarks of another hex, which is definitley something to get excited over.
however, no one, not even AT, is saying that this is going to be the best ride on the planet, and i'm not expecting it to be. but if this ride pulls out all the stops, and truly gives a fantastic dark ride experience, it'll be a step back towards the AT magic we all miss terribley after its demise at the hands of Late era tussauds. also, if it does pull this off on a medium budget, it will give high hopes of SW7, having a large budget, being another outstanding attraction.

Two thrill rides in as many years, AT fans are being spoilt!
thefatone

Poison Tom 96 wrote: Afraid to say I shall add to hype. Aren't the Dungeons a big preshow? Simple design system that feels amazing
No. People don't go to dungeons to ride rides. They definitely don't do that. It's just an added extra to get people talking.

However, I adore the ride there. Scares me half to death everytime I approach it.
AstroDan

Yeah. The trembling palms as you approach TRAITOR! BOAT RIDE TO HELL!

:P
Tom G

The noise of Extremis scares me, and I'd be interested to know how they'll try and drown the noise of four of them out (if they are going to try).
smudge.

I don't think there has been any overhyping particularly in this thread, people are just optimistic after each update or any new information, quite rightly imo.

As a few have mentioned, its a NEW attraction, and even if it doesn't live up to expectations, it will still be a 'good' solid new attraction to add to the line-up at Alton.

Already though, I think it CAN live up to what we expect:

- Solid theming - yes
- Back story - yes (but up to what standard we are unsure)
- Intimidating ride system - yes - (some could agree otherwise - but as suggested in comments just above, you do feel it)
- Quality not-so-in-your-face marketing - YES
- Giving Nemesis some long awaited attention - yes (not matter how poor/good the ride is)
- Extra elements (tv's/uniformed staff etc) - yes - not essential, but positive none the less.
- 1.4 restriction & therefore in the thrill seekers category
- post/pre shows - yes - (this cannot do anything but ADD to the experience or they would be irrelevant & again, unnesssary)

All in all, this CANNOT be a bad (or even average) attraction. Yes, the ride system is basic, but already we KNOW the experience will be a lot more than that. With a budget of £5m, this will be a solid addition & unless Merlin completely & royally screw up (I don't see how they can with this) this will become a 'must ride' for every visit to AT & will be one talked about the most alongside Hex and the 3 B&M's, (maybe 13 & Rita for not-so-pure enthusiasts  ;))

-
Sazzle

Okay so we all have our own views - some are pessimistic and some are excitable. One things for sure, I'm more excited for this than I ever was about Lava Lump or Dynamo ;). I don't care what it turns out to be - we've lost nothing and gained a new dark ride - winner all round!

Personally, I'm REALLY looking forward to it, and expect the experience to be nothing short of fantastically terrifying :p.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
CoasterCrazyChris

Sazzle wrote: we've lost nothing and gained a new dark ride
Exactly. This is the bottom line.:)

But let's not pretend for one second this will be the new Hex.
Islander

Tom G wrote: The noise of Extremis scares me, and I'd be interested to know how they'll try and drown the noise of four of them out (if they are going to try).
This is just guesswork on my part, but AFAIK the noise on Extremis comes from the associated compressors etc., which are in the same chamber as the main ride. Perhaps (hopefully?) with Sub Terra this machinery can be removed from the chamber and placed outside?
Sazzle

But how do we know it won't have "The Hex Effect"? Some may know more than others, but I'm fairly certain none of us have been in the building yet... we might be very pleasantly surprised!

So what if the outside is currently a little basic... never judge a book by its cover.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
DomB

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Sazzle wrote: we've lost nothing and gained a new dark ride
Exactly. This is the bottom line.:)

But let's not pretend for one second this will be the new Hex.
How do you know that though, people are allowed to get excited about it.

I agree that it's bad to over-hype things, but no-ones pretending this is on a Disney scale. But Alton Towers did make Hex, so what's to say they can't again?
smudge.

This could be the new hex, modern innovation & technology will always/nearly always be better than previous attempts. 12 years since Hex believe it or not!

With regards to the building, unfortunately N:ST didn't get a grant from the heritage dept. like they did on hex & they don't have the building infrastructure in the 1st place. (or a local legend to rape)

I have no doubt the entrance & front of the building will be well themed & immersive like hex, but I don't care about the rest of the building (from the outside) it would be a waste of money which is put to better use elsewhere (hopefully)

Does anyone know how much of hex's 4m budget was for the ride system? I cant imagine it being a lot, at a guess 1/4? My point being that with a cheap ride system from ABC, a cheap building, that should leave a hefty bunch of money for other 'stuff'  ;)

Complete stab in the dark, but maybe 1m for the drop towers, 500k for building?  leaving 3.5m for.....  :?