NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
siralgenon

I think the new promotional pic looks amazing! Much better than the comic video!  :D
AT TeeJay

I really do hate this cut and stick promo's Merlin always release even the ad on the construction fence looked like a few chicken fences and nuclear logos stuck on a gradient. Poor.
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
Magrathea

Mi-Nigle wrote: The faces the models on the ride are pulling are far too comical!
But isn't that just perfect? Coming straight from a comic-based teaser video to a promo image with actors baring hyperbolic comic-esque expressions of fear makes the theme consistent! (Just my thoughts, anyway :))
Blaze

What park doesn't use overly terrified expressions in their promo images? You'll be hard pressed to find one.
ATJoseph

er? Fantasy Island  :)
Big Dave

Well they are hardly going to put pictures of bored adults wishing they hadn't gone on the ride are they?

This comes to mind :P
Mi-Nigle

Magrathea wrote:
Mi-Nigle wrote: The faces the models on the ride are pulling are far too comical!
But isn't that just perfect? Coming straight from a comic-based teaser video to a promo image with actors baring hyperbolic comic-esque expressions of fear makes the theme consistent! (Just my thoughts, anyway :) )

I hadn't thought of that, it's consistent with what we've seen so far of Sub-Terra as a stand alone ride. But...

Moley wrote: Love the B-Horror Movie cheese of that graphic.

That's is the impression I got, but I don't like it. This is a continuation of a current theme which was not built around 'B-Horror Movie cheese' in any way and I think Sub-Terra should be more faithful to that sinister theme. I'm aware Nemesis did have a comic book, but I think it's an anomalous part of the theme when compared to the music, Tom Baker's narration and the area itself. Forbidden Valley doesn't have a comic book vibe and I'd wager most people who look at that promo video won't have a clue why there's a comic, just for us enthusiasts. :P

Don't get me wrong though, I like the image! Little bits just bugged me a little.
corkscru74

Jollylee11 wrote: From the people behind the ride it looks like their exploring the underground of nemesis.. this could be the pre show, but i could be reading too much into it  :P Well they do look scared and my excitement has come back to sub-terra.. for now
Yeah, from the promo pic I'd say there must be some sort of live maze element to the ride. Educated guess would be before the lifts and ride proper.

So is that what the people-in-the-know have been hinting at when they said "It's much more than just an extremis clone"?
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
siralgenon

corkscru74 wrote:
Jollylee11 wrote: From the people behind the ride it looks like their exploring the underground of nemesis.. this could be the pre show, but i could be reading too much into it  :P Well they do look scared and my excitement has come back to sub-terra.. for now
Yeah, from the promo pic I'd say there must be some sort of live maze element to the ride. Educated guess would be before the lifts and ride proper.

So is that what the people-in-the-know have been hinting at when they said "It's much more than just an extremis clone"?
Although that would be nice there's no room in that building to fit in a maze section as well as the pre-batch rooms, elevators and the ride.
Dormiens-Dave

Mi-Nigle wrote:
That's is the impression I got, but I don't like it. This is a continuation of a current theme which was not built around 'B-Horror Movie cheese' in any way and I think Sub-Terra should be more faithful to that sinister theme. I'm aware Nemesis did have a comic book, but I think it's an anomalous part of the theme when compared to the music, Tom Baker's narration and the area itself. Forbidden Valley doesn't have a comic book vibe and I'd wager most people who look at that promo video won't have a clue why there's a comic, just for us enthusiasts. :P

Don't get me wrong though, I like the image! Little bits just bugged me a little.
Actually quite a lot of the origional Nemesis PR was cheesy, what with having the High Priests of Nemesis at the opening and the zombie walking followers in the promo videos you can see a similar style.

Check this link to a video TTF got from the Alton Towers archive in November

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/media/videos/1994.htm
Wes

All the press is cheesy. Find me an advert that isn't. Even the magical 1995 has its touches of cheese.

The wanders of advertising. They need to sell it.
themealgang

A bit off topic, but does anyone else just love the way in which now the Alton Towers website is displaying who manufactured the rides next to the attraction profile?! Love that little enthusiast touch.

Back on topic, that new promotional image is quite epic. So epic in fact it's now my wallpaper on my phone. The "riders" do look terrified, but more noticeably, Towers are promoting this as a THRILL ride. We all know, if the ABC drop tower is coming, it will be a family ride, so I hope that some people are not left a bit disappointed. I suspect marketing is really going to step up a gear now, and I am looking forward to seeing what they have been up once the TV advertising starts.

Again, its shaping up to be another sublime marketing campaign for what will hopefully a smashing addition to the park.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mi-Nigle

Dormiens-Dave wrote:Actually quite a lot of the origional Nemesis PR was cheesy, what with having the High Priests of Nemesis at the opening and the zombie walking followers in the promo videos you can see a similar style.

Check this link to a video TTF got from the Alton Towers archive in November

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/media/videos/1994.htm

Ah, never seen that side of it, I was 2 at the time! While I agree that PR is generally cheesy, the old Nemesis stuff is very typical of the 90s and difficult to compare to today's PR. It's going to be compared to Nemesis now and I just think there's a bit of a clash. But yes, I suppose there's no harm in a little cheese.
Longy

I'm guessing Nemesis: Sub-Terra will go where the travel award is now, just to make it even.
As for the promotional image, I think it's ok, not the best, but not really bad.
The images are poorly Photoshopped, but the poster as a whole is surprisingly good. The marketing for this ride seems to be spot on!
Is it just me who thinks the guy on the left of the promotional image looks like Steve Merchant?
Mi-Nigle

Just wondering if the roadheader will receive any attention? Considering Sub-Terra is based around digging and is right next door.

CoasterCrazyChris

^That is, without a doubt, the best thematic element at Alton Towers.

I hope it gets the attention it deserves this year with a new ride opening next door.  A new paint job and thicker smoke would be good.

:)
siralgenon

Mi-Nigle wrote: Just wondering if the roadheader will receive any attention? Considering Sub-Terra is based around digging and is right next door.

It's possible, If it gets the attention is deserves then I hope so, but if it's just a slap of paint then I hope not for the obvious reason...
AstroDan

I am sure it will be painted for 2012, as it often is anyway.

What lets it down is that the smoke machine is often left unfilled.
CoasterCrazyChris

It is easy to forget that Alton Towers was once capable of such theming brilliance as this.

Saying that, Thirteen's station frontage ain't half bad.

:)
mezza

Sam wrote: Some lame ride mechanism, where the focus of the entire ride will be some effect happening in the middle.

You know what this ride reminds me of? The Haunting at Drayton Manor.
You know what it reminds me of?  Hex.  I think the Hex ride mechanism on it's own wouldn't be particularly thrilling, but the theming and effects make it awesome.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER