NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
adsyrah

Animatronic Nemesis egg?!?

I'm still thinking this will be a take on ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter in Disney, which makes me VERY excited. With leg ticklers, air on your neck, maybe speakers by each ear to give the impression there's something moving near you this could be an amazing experience.

For those of you who don't know the ride I'm referring to, it's now the Stitch ride in Disney Forida. The original ride was apparently terrifying (Wikipedia article). I've not ridden the original ride but I understand it was very, very scary. You were strapped into a seat, shown an alien in the middle of the room and there's a 'hitch' when the lights go out. This is when you hear the alien break free, move around the room, breathe on you neck and touch your neck/legs. The feeling of vulnerability on the Stitch ride is horrible, so the more mature theme the original ride meant parents complained about it being too scary for children.

This coupled with an unexpected drop would be awesome :D
Last edited by adsyrah on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjsh

adsyrah wrote: Animatronic Nemesis egg?!?

I'm still thinking this will be a take on ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter in Disney, which makes me VERY excited. With leg ticklers, air on your neck, maybe speakers by each ear to give the impression there's something moving near you this could be an amazing experience.

For those of you who don't know the ride I'm referring to, it's now the Stitch ride in Disney Forida. The original ride was apparently terrifying (Wikipedia article). I've not ridden the original ride but I understand it was very, very scary. You were strapped into a seat, shown an alien in the middle of the room and there's a 'hitch' when the lights go out. This is when you hear the alien break free, move around the room, breathe on you neck and touch your neck/legs. The feeling of vulnerability on the Stitch ride is horrible, so the more mature theme the original ride meant parents complained about it being too scary for children.

I went to florida a few times in the 90's. Along with Tower of terror over at MGM, Alien Encounter was my favourite ride. Proof that a good dark ride doesn't need a ride element at all. I was 10 the first time I went on it and it was really scary. I'm still hoping that Nemesis ST will incorporate some of the elements from that ride (long shot I know). I remember my Dad and Mum really enjoying it too and they were obviously adults so it appealed to everyone. It's whether Alton has the budget and the know how to re create that experience that makes me doubt it will be a similar ride.

The rumoured drop section part doesn't really bother me. I can take it or leave it. Its how they handle the nemesis back story and the effects they use that I'm excited about. Only 2 months or so and we will know for sure.
Jonny.F

I remember ETAI being one of the most terrifying things I've ever been through in my life. I did it when I was seven and I still remember it all pretty much perfectly and it was the most scared I have ever been. It's probably one of the most successful theme park rides in this field due to the fact it builds up these emotions so well.

If Sub Terra is anything like that then I can imagine this ride being very effective. The atmosphere of the terror coupled with the drop at the peak of tension will be something that will work so well.
jonnyfingers

I went on this 12 years ago and it was excellent. So unnerving being strapped in in a completely dark room with fantastic sound and physical effects really making you believe an alien was running around you.

I could definitely see something similar being done at AT. I imagine a ride where you could see a few scenes that hint that the Nemesis monster is nearby but you never really see him as you ascend up to the top of the drop tower. The ride vehicle could be themed as some sort of exploration vehicle. Then then lights cut out for whatever reason. Sound and special effects hint that the monster is getting closer but still you can't see him. This could be used to cover the unveiling of the animatronic monster while it's completely dark. Suddenly the lights flash on and off revealing the monster trying to attack you. Just as its tentacles try to grab you the ride could then drop unexpectedly allowing you to "escape".
Blaze

It just sounds like the finale of The Haunting, to be hinest, and that was about as scary as a pleasant summer afternoon. :P
siralgenon

Blaze wrote: It just sounds like the finale of The Haunting, to be hinest, and that was about as scary as a pleasant summer afternoon. :P
How is Alien Encounter anything like The Haunting?  :?

I really hope Nemesis: SUB-TERRA is like Alien Encounter, it sounds scary but ok for families too - I just hope the story line to it isn't too in depth for people to understand!  :)
Jollylee11

siralgenon wrote: I really hope Nemesis: SUB-TERRA is like Alien Encounter, it sounds scary but ok for families too - I just hope the story line to it isn't too in depth for people to understand!  :)
I want this ride to have NOTHING to do with familys.
Its being marketed at the thrill seekers so im hoping for it to be scary, thrilling, jumpy and most of all an indoor thrill attraction the park needs! so if it turns out to be another family thrill drop ride i would be very angry and upset at Alton
smudge.

As far as I know, please correct me if im wrong, ABC's 'vertical dark ride' is a concept, meaning it could be anything.

Instead of all sitting in a circle in a large size room, (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter), you are in rows of 8 (or however many) moving round diferrent scenes with similar effects... This could be an improvement of even the EE experience by; firsty the fact that you are moving, maybe slight g-forces (maybe even a drop); and secondly that you have noone around you and are up close and personal with whatever they are going have happening in there.

EE is/was one of my favourite attractions at WDW (so would be very happy with this at Alton) and Stitch's remake just doesnt cut the mustard, although I can see it appeals to a wider market.
adsyrah

smudge. wrote: As far as I know, please correct me if im wrong, ABC's 'vertical dark ride' is a concept, meaning it could be anything.

Instead of all sitting in a circle in a large size room, (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter), you are in rows of 8 (or however many) moving round diferrent scenes with similar effects... This could be an improvement of even the EE experience by; firsty the fact that you are moving, maybe slight g-forces (maybe even a drop); and secondly that you have noone around you and are up close and personal with whatever they are going have happening in there.

EE is/was one of my favourite attractions at WDW (so would be very happy with this at Alton) and Stitch's remake just doesnt cut the mustard, although I can see it appeals to a wider market.
I was basing my hopes about Sub-Terra being like Alien Encounter on Nathan's comment about there being no room for a central tower within the building as there will be animatronics in the centre of the room - i.e. the towers will be backed onto the four walls of the room.

This configuration allows for the theatrics of Alien Encounter (in the middle of the room) as well as a drop.

This ride has by no means been confirmed as being an ABC Vertical Dark Ride.
Blaze

siralgenon wrote: How is Alien Encounter anything like The Haunting?  :?

I really hope Nemesis: SUB-TERRA is like Alien Encounter, it sounds scary but ok for families too - I just hope the story line to it isn't too in depth for people to understand!  :)
It's not. The description makes it sound like it, though. :P

This is getting weird. One week we're saying there's no room along the walls for them to fit in the towers, the next we're saying the centre will have something in it.
siralgenon

Blaze wrote:
siralgenon wrote: How is Alien Encounter anything like The Haunting?  :?

It's not. The description makes it sound like it, though. :P

This is getting weird. One week we're saying there's no room along the walls for them to fit in the towers, the next we're saying the centre will have something in it.

I'm not saying it will be the same layout i'm just saying I hope it has the same concept.
Last edited by siralgenon on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudge.

By having the 4 towers on the sides would mean a huge railing & walkway infront of you that has to drop down with you, therefore spoiling your experience/view. (how else could you board the ride)

Unless of course they come up with some elaborate floor like Griffon (i Think not)
SLC

This would be amazing, I went on it when I was 6 but was too small to really get the full effect.
Morgano

smudge. wrote: By having the 4 towers on the sides would mean a huge railing & walkway infront of you that has to drop down with you, therefore spoiling your experience/view. (how else could you board the ride)

Unless of course they come up with some elaborate floor like Griffon (i Think not)
How would it obstruct your view? Imagine this:

Board from the top on a gantry held in place via beams on either side of the 4 drop towers and supported from above. A team member will tell you that you are about to be lowered down to the Nemesis cave (perhaps an exploration or rescue mission). Once you get to the bottom you'll have meet the alien egg with animatronics etc... I guess the egg will hatch and the alien will escape from the egg. Then I guess something will go wrong and you'll be greeted with leg ticklers, audio, and visual effects to make you believe the alien is near. Here I imagine the team will try to rescue you by pulling you back up and here we'll see the alien attack and we'll fall back. I guess there will be a struggle and a few more smaller drops or one large one at the end  before finally succeeding with the rescue and getting you back up to the gantry where you disembark.

Consider the special effects wouldn't need to be amazing, darkness + smoke, flashing warning lights and a loud audible noise will be enough to scare you crapless combined with the drops and sensory exploitation of leg ticklers and wind blowers.
Bote

smudge. wrote: By having the 4 towers on the sides would mean a huge railing & walkway infront of you that has to drop down with you, therefore spoiling your experience/view. (how else could you board the ride)

Or it could be a case that each tower's car has a floor already on it with no railings. Just a basic flat floor under the seats which sits level with the boarding floor when loading and unloading? It'd probably detract from the experience, but it's still a possibility.
Islander

^That's on the assumption that you board at the lowest level - I think Smudge was assuming you board at proper-ground level.
smudge.

I really like Morgano's idea, and it sound really good (and hopefully right), but there has to be clearance, but also there couldn't be any sort of gap stepping over a 11m hole!
Bote wrote:

Or it could be a case that each tower's car has a floor already on it with no railings. Just a basic flat floor under the seats which sits level with the boarding floor when loading and unloading? It'd probably detract from the experience, but it's still a possibility.
Sorry, maybe we are at cross purposes, but wouldnt you need railings to stop you from falling off the edge  :?
Bote

Not if the entire raised level filled the room with just a hole for each car to pass through. Obviously around each hole there would need to be a fence to stop people wandering into the drop zones :P

What I mean is the entire "ground level" is a floored room, and when the cars are up at that level for loading and unloading there is a floor on the base of each car which seals the hole by sitting vlush to it. This enables guests to get seated. Once seated and the restraints have been locked and checked the ride host stands around the other side of the fence, and uses their host pannel to start the ride. The cars then drop through the floor leaving a hole behind. The drop area remains unacessable until the car parks again and covers the gap.

Also, think. If the entire underground level is closed off it also means that guests waiting to board are unable to see the main themeing elements, and also how far down the drops go, which could add to the thrill. The idea of not knowing what happens down below.

Lets say for argument's sake that there are four towers, one along each wall, sort of Mystery Castle esque, but smaller, then the "ground level" could be used for batching riders too. I.E. a whole group walk into the room after leaving the lifts. They are then split down into smaller groups for each tower, and set to wait at there allocated one behind the fence. Ten when they are ready to be loaded an airgate is opened and they enter the drop zone to board.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. If anyone still doesn't understand what I mean I'll try and do a diagram :)
themealgang

I'm not trying to be funny here, but surely knowing Alton Towers, if this is the concept for ABC's vertical enclosed drop ride, they would be marketing it as a worlds first. No park have ever built one!  :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
smudge.

Ahhhh, i see now, thank you for clearing that up. I really hadn't even contemplated having the whole level as a floor. I was assuming (wrongly ) that this level could be part of the ride being as it is a pretty small hole really.

And yes, through the relatively small holes the ride would leave, guests would have no idea of 'what lies beneath'  8)
themealgang wrote: I'm not trying to be funny here, but surely knowing Alton Towers, if this is the concept for ABC's vertical enclosed drop ride, they would be marketing it as a worlds first. No park have ever built one!  :D
I cant really see  how the line "Worlds first ABC Vertical dark ride" would attract 1 member of the GP