NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Boz

I was expecting a slightly more terrifying name but i'm sure it will grow on me, in the same way i originally thought that air's name was pants when they first released it, but i got over it the first time i rode it, and i'm willing to bet the same thing will happen here.

correct me if i'm wrong but there doesn't appear to have been any discussion of the video itself (just a rather drawn out argument over the origin of the English language :)).
anybody else believe that the pre-show will be a military style briefing where you are the made to believe that you are an elite squad of soldiers being sent down to recover the missing team and the book from the comic, then again perhaps the two sides are for different missions 1 to retrieve the book and the other to rescue the missing team.

this also lends further support for the idea of an ABC vertical dark ride (as illustrated on page 55), whereby the loading occurs on one side and offloading on the other. a wild idea might be the addition of interactive elements such as blasters or a (fake) control panel on the arm rests, like the old 5th dimension ride at Chessie.

whatever happens i think there will definitely be a well thought out story and I personally can't wait  8)
siralgenon

Site up-dated with new logo and name  :) http://www.altontowers.com/events/re-opening/
Jollylee11

Yes finally! About time they did
Still stays What lies beneath on the mini site though  :roll:
mrbrightside

Jiminy Cricket wrote: will everyone get over the name, its done! it wont change! at least its not a bloody number  :D
'Th13teen' is a brilliant name. It would have been a lot worse if they had just called it '13' but the combination of the word, the digits and the connotations that the word has was a very clever move in my opinion.

Also the tag line 'if you go down to the woods today, you'd better not go alone' is thirteen words long.

It really annoys me when people dig at Th13teen for no real reason tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mrbrightside on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
NemmyJunkie

Also the tag line 'if you go down to the woods today, you'd better not go alone' is thirteen words long.
I never noticed that until you said :D
Last edited by NemmyJunkie on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan

I think sometimes when tag-lines are released at the start of the marketing campaign, people get used to them.
When an actual name is released, then it never seems 'right' somehow.

Let's take Th13teen for example. I loved the 'Surrender - Ride the Demon of the Dark Forest' promo material, and deperately hoped it would be called Surrender. Then when Th13teen was announced, I just wondered where that idea had come from. It has no bearing whatsoever on what was originally suggested from the marketing. They could have created a nice story around it.

In the same way, I was getting used to Nemesis: What Lies Beneath, even though I fully expected the name to be different. As it happens Nemesis: Sub-Terra sounds good to me. From what we already know, it seems very fitting of the theme of the ride, being underground etc.
Nightfall

As much as I like Th13teen I disagreed with the name from the moment they announced it. I've come to like it and had a lot of fun joking about it but as a ride name it doesn't work. It means nothing. It doesn't tell us anything about the experience we’re about to have. Don't try and convince me there's a good meaning, There isn't one, it was just the marketing department trying to be clever.

The name Sub-Terra is better because it has meaning. However I feel that once again they've over thought the name. The best names are those that are simple, easy to understand and have immediate hitting meaning. Here's a list of a few of my favourites:

Nemesis: You're greatest enemy
Oblivion: Entering the unknown
Maverick: A wild beast
Manta: A graceful creature

While a bad name doesn’t hurt a ride (although iSpeeds bad rating in last year’s poll might suggest otherwise) a well chosen name like those above perfectly explain it. I only have to tell someone that there's a ride called Oblivion which dives into a deep whole and they get exactly what the ride's about. Personally I feel that if a rides name has to grow on you to be seen as good then it has failed. If you're average member of the public doesn't immediately have the name spark something in their imagination then you've already lost their attention.

Now I've made my point and I'll leave it at that. The name has been chosen, it's good but not great. Regardless of how I think it could be better this is what they've decided to go with.
[align=center]Image[/align]
dominoes

I actually like the game. It works for a wide market:
1. People who know geology (Sub-terra)
2. People who don't (terra or terror)
3. And people who like roller coasters (It is called Nemesis, so it must be good...)
Sure, some rides have names that are easier to say (Nemesis, Blivy ect) but I think the team are now thinking of much better names. It went from good (Nemesis ect) to bad (Stealth - None of the "theming" has anything to do with planes of general secret stuff) and now it is good again.
Ryan.

After a Google search for 'ABC Vertical Dark Ride' I found an article about Nemesis Sub-Terra by the Los Angeles Times dated 01/01/2012, the article seems to suggest what the ride system is.
A prototype Vertical Dark Ride concept by ABC Rides features a central drop tower with benches that rotate and stop at animated scenes at various levels inside a themed building.
full article here: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/01/news/la-trb-nemesis-sub-terra-alton-towers-12201131

I'm a little sceptical that this is confirmation of the ride type as journalists aren't always the most reliable people, possibly just speculation on the their part however I guess they must have got their information from somewhere. However an interesting article nonetheless, especially considering where its from  :?
Last edited by Ryan. on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbrightside

I think more than likely, the LA Times has just done a quick Google and looked at popular speculation from sites such as this as the article doesn't actually state that it knows what the ride will be. Of course, it is interesting that a foreign news site is commenting on the new ride.
ImageImage
Ryan.

I figured thats possibly just what they did, maybe the foreign interest (or atleast from LA) is a positive of having Jack Osbourne as 'director of fear'?
James

mrbrightside wrote:
Jiminy Cricket wrote: will everyone get over the name, its done! it wont change! at least its not a bloody number  :D
'Th13teen' is a brilliant name. It would have been a lot worse if they had just called it '13' but the combination of the word, the digits and the connotations that the word has was a very clever move in my opinion.

It really annoys me when people dig at Th13teen for no real reason tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I love even more about Th13teen is that the whole queueline music/station music/soundtrack for the ride is based on Teddy Bear's Picnic, if you listen really carefully you'll hear the tune! It's utterly beautiful! :D

Th13teen never sounded like a great name, although I like it merely due to the thought that was put into it and the theme of the ride (plus also the little 'bad luck' jokes - e.g. walking under a ladder into the station).
SIMR

^ Following on from the Th13teen music, I really hope Sub-Terra uses some of Nemesis' soundtrack - in particular the parts from 2:15 to 3:30 here ( Imagine Nemesis appearing at 3:30 before being dropped suddenly! The pan-pipes? flutes? whatever they are are enchantingly haunting (oh yes), and they would create such a tense atmosphere for a dark ride.
corkscru74

NemmyJunkie wrote:
I never noticed that until you said :D
Me either!

But I think you'll find it's pronounced th-wun-three-teen  :P

Jokes. But I'd love to have been in that marketing meeting:

"But you can't replace the letter R with a 3! THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!"  :D
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
Tom G

Ryan. wrote: After a Google search for 'ABC Vertical Dark Ride' I found an article about Nemesis Sub-Terra by the Los Angeles Times dated 01/01/2012, the article seems to suggest what the ride system is.
A prototype Vertical Dark Ride concept by ABC Rides features a central drop tower with benches that rotate and stop at animated scenes at various levels inside a themed building.
full article here: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/01/news/la-trb-nemesis-sub-terra-alton-towers-12201131

I'm a little sceptical that this is confirmation of the ride type as journalists aren't always the most reliable people, possibly just speculation on the their part however I guess they must have got their information from somewhere. However an interesting article nonetheless, especially considering where its from  :?
The LA Times is a good newspaper by American standards. It is typically well-versed and frequently comments on Alton Towers/Thorpe Park.

You have misinterpreted it though, they stating that the new dark ride concept exists, and that it could be relevant to this development.

This will certainly be an ABC *drop* ride (is the new dark ride capable of dropping freefall?), still most likely four mini Extremis clones or a four-faced Extremis-style tower in my view.
Last edited by Tom G on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaze

I think Thirteen is ever so slightly better than Surrender was. Possibly because it caught on so well. I expected it to be a disaster but it turns out to have been a brilliant choice.

Certainly better than this! :P

Also, Thriteen's music is beautiful, creepy and surely one day, iconic in the way Nemesis and Oblivions are. I expect the Nemesis music, or something based on it for this.
Nightfall

Tom G wrote:(is the new dark ride capable of dropping freefall?)
From what I’ve read I believe the new vertical dark ride is an Extremis tower with the exception that it can rotate around the tower as well. That's why it's always mystified me when people have talked about it like it will be so much better, when all it really does is gives you a better look at the different scenes inside the ride. The actual drop’s should be exactly the same which I assume is freefall.
[align=center]Image[/align]
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote: I think Thirteen is ever so slightly better than Surrender was. Possibly because it caught on so well. I expected it to be a disaster but it turns out to have been a brilliant choice.

Certainly better than this! :P

Also, Thriteen's music is beautiful, creepy and surely one day, iconic in the way Nemesis and Oblivions are. I expect the Nemesis music, or something based on it for this.
The audio of the Dark Forest as a whole is superb.

Also it must be noted the quality of the audio in Thirteen's station is so crisp and clear - it really builds up the suspense.

It is probably the best aspect of the theme.

Let's face it - what ruins Thirteen's theme is quite simply the presence of Rita.

I would imagine the Sub-Terra theme music to be a variation on Nemesis'.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir Bobinski

Is this what has been recently described?  Central towers with rotating scene positions?

Theoretical 720pph doesn't sound to bad throughput for this ride type.

http://www.abc-engineering.ch/ride/dark ... rtical.pdf

http://www.abc-engineering.ch/ride/darkride.html (I'm sure the video concept was posted somewhere else before)
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bote

I'm still trying to work out how this thing works, as I'm unable to view the video. I imagine that all four sides of the tower must have to rotate together? Surely if they can move to one face at the same time it'd not only throw out the weight distribution, but also mean any drop is limited due to the lack of height?

But then does that mean that dispatching would have to be timed perfectly to avoid the rest of the ride stopping? Either that or will the whole tower function as one, without using seperate ones as could be possible with four individual towers. It's still a bit of a mystery  to me :P