NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Johno

Nemesis: Sub Terra, gives us some idea of it being a thrill ride (important), and also its relation to Nemesis. I like the idea that its a bit mysterious, and guests won't quite know what the ride is until they get to it!
siralgenon

Can I just ask a question, going a little off topic. Is Nemesis an alien or a monster?

Because when I think of Nemesis and you see the attraction it looks like a monster and that's what the older vids show it as, but when you look through the comic it has a whole different side to it?  :?  :P
Blaze

Well, both. :P

It came from space, therefore it's an alien. It's a weird giant crab thing, so it's a monster.

*Insert popular stuffed meerkat catchphrase here* :P
Dormiens-Dave

Its an alien from another dimension that came to earth a million years ago. The legend is in the audio section of the TT media page
siralgenon

Thanks haha, yeah iv'e heard the story etc. just the story seems different from the comic somehow? It's a monster, iv'e decided  :P
RustyRider

adsyrah wrote: *Sigh*, it's a bloody name!

It's totally on brief - infers you're going to experience something underground while alluding to terror being felt in the process.

Personally, I like it far more than "what lies beneath", but it seems ridiculous to focus on something that won't affect you once you're actually on the ride itself.

EDIT - written while Dan was posting! The rant was directed towards Blaze and others focussed on the name change.
:P :oops:

Sorry but what sort of ridiculous statement is that, of course it matters what it's called! If that's your theory then they may aswell call it "dark ride 2.0" and hey while we're at it, let's call sw7 "generic x-sector coaster".

P.s I love the name, I think it's fantastic...

EDIT: just re-read your post, sorry I think I've completely missed your point there lol, ignore me and carry on as you were
Last edited by RustyRider on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
bilvy man

guys seriously, what does a name matter if it's a brilliant coaster.
and also im sure the eye at the top of the page blinked!
bilvy man

just wanted to give a few examples of coater that don't matter what theyr'e called

oblivion-might as well be call big droppy thingy
13- dito
nemesis-evil monster coaster where your legs dangle

all brilliant coaster that would still be as good with those names
.Will

bilvy man wrote: guys seriously, what does a name matter if it's a brilliant coaster.
It's not a rollercoaster.
Jollylee11

The name plays a big part on the ride, i think Alton has dug themself in a hole, people will expect it to be as good as nemesis now its name after it
I want this ride to be a major thrill ride, we already have a family drop ride and a children drop ride, its time for an adult drop ride!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

.Will wrote:
bilvy man wrote: guys seriously, what does a name matter if it's a brilliant coaster.
It's not a rollercoaster.
The Sentinel thinks that too! :P

The name grew on me, when you guys explained the Latin and all that. It questions me whether the pre-show will be the discovery as the video softly hinted.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Blaze

Why does the name coming from Latin ake it any better? :?
.Will

Blaze wrote: Why does the name coming from Latin ake it any better? :?
Well which sounds better?

Nemesis: Below Ground or Nemesis: Sub Terra?

It just adds an extra element of secrecy when it comes to the ride, it tells you blatantly what it is but keeps you asking questions a very smart move.
mrbrightside

Blaze will you bloody well get over the Latin name already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Blaze

.Will wrote:

It just adds an extra element of secrecy when it comes to the ride, it tells you blatantly what it is but keeps you asking questions a very smart move.
What I mean is, how does the fact 'sub' and 'terra' come from Latin make it any better than if they came from English, which is what the post seemed to be suggesting.
sibic

Blaze wrote:
.Will wrote:

What I mean is, how does the fact 'sub' and 'terra' come from Latin make it any better than if they came from English, which is what the post seemed to be suggesting.
Sub Terra is both as English is the magpie of language shine words lets nick them.  think how meny french words we use.
corkscru74

ponder wrote: A lot of people say that drop towers need to be tall to be effective. I would disagree. Extremis had much more of an effect on me than Detonator, say. I assume this has something to do with how your brain reacts.
When I was a little boy I was upstairs playing when my dad ran over and wrapped me in a towel. I couldn't see a thing and as he picked me up he told me he was going to drop me over the banister and down the stairs. As I struggled to break free he walked towards the stairs and began to count down. 3...2...1...as he dropped me my heart stopped as my mind plummeted me 20 feet down to the ground floor. Except I didn't plummet 20 feet, I fell 2 feet onto my own, soft bed.

I have since been on drop towers of various sizes, I've ridden rollercoasters like The Big One at BPB and (of course) Oblivion. But none of them have created that sense of fear that I felt by being dropped 2 feet onto a nice, soft bed.
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
Tom G

The dash is annoying, Subterra would have been fine.

I also hope there isn't the colon in the official styling, or that it's in ALL CAPS.
Bote

Well at first I really didn't like the name, but I have to say it has grown on me. It's descriptive and insightful, without being blunt and obvious. Just what a darkride name should be. That's always part of the beauty of a darkride for me. The element of mystery and discovery.

The Sub suggests the attraction is below something. It seems to suggest that there is something hidden/undisturbed about the attraction and it's story, which links to the story of the Nemesis monster lying undisturbed for all those years.

The terra part informs of ground which alone is nothing special. But when tied to its prior word the first thing that comes to mind for me is subterranian. This then suggests the attraction is underground. It sounds impressive that what you are about to experience is going to occur hidden away in the Earth and sets the scene well. At the same time the little pun of terror on the word gives it that edge that the experience is/should be fear inducing and thrilling.

The only thing I dislike with the name is the use of Nemesis. Leaching off the popularity of one of the parks most notable attraction just feels cheap. Sure, it provides the public with something they can associate the new ride with, creates a very clear tie in with the other ride. But it just feels like a cheap way to sell the ride.

Nemesis has become a brand (at least that's how it feels to me) Like any other IP attraction it is becoming a way for the park to slap a known name on an attraction to sell itself from. Most of you will also know that I'm far from a fan of IPs, so that doesn't do it any favors in my eyes :P

I think it's a far better name than "What Lies Beneath". Towers have a knack of creating clever and subtle names for their rides, which usually bear some meaning to the attraction. Hex - A spell/curse; Duel - To do battle with; Nemesis - An enemy/rival; Oblivion - Eternity of nothingness*

While I think in previous years some of this cleverness has vanished (Giving us the likes of Rita!) this name seems to be a sign that some of that is starting to seep back in. The name Sub-Terra was a good choice in my opinion :)

Also, on the subject of the video, sure it maybe wasn't the update everyone was expecting, and maybe the video wasn't perfect. But for Towers they did a damn good job! At least they've made the effort, and proved they are willing to do that bit extra. Having now seen that I'm hoping that we may see a return of the comic, which will aid not only Sub-Terra, but also help to further convey the Nemesis story to the public.

Well done to those at Towers and Merlin involved in it :D

* I refrain from using the work darkness ;)
Jiminy Cricket

will everyone get over the name, its done! it wont change! at least its not a bloody number  :D