NO SPOILERS - 2012: Nemesis Sub-Terra... Part 2

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
ryanlovesaltontowers

Does anyone else agree that with this new ride making its way into Forbidden Valley, the Nemesis them should be heard from the moment you enter the top area of Forbidden Valley all the way down to near Air. I always think of Forbidden Valley an 'audio weak-spot' as you can only ever hear the Nemesis audio above the ride entrance, in the station (and brake run), under that archway thing just past the game stalls, and the monster at the top. Ideally Alton should contact Bose and get them to sort out the existing speakers and buy a load more 802s and 302s.
JB1985

Please please please....its not the Nemesis, its just Nemesis. Really grinds my gears....

I think that really depends on SW7 though, as if Air was to 'detach' itself from FV it would make perfect sense.
pluk

No it's not 'the nemesis', but if your referring to something relating to nemesis it is quite right to say "the nemesis (whatever)".
You don't say "look at bus conductor", you say "look at the bus conductor". The 'the' above is relating to the theme, they are not calling 'Nemesis' 'the Nemesis'. Pedantry, eh.

Anyway, good idea, would tie it all together nicely.
Total Unique Ridecount
Tom G

Grammar is....CORRECT! Proceed...
Colossus

This project has now appeared to organisatons on a tender website... Some of the information is below which is just for the actual building, queueline etc and not the ride hardware. Not really much info, although the project dates seem a bit long???
Scheme: Building to house indoor ride, retail, queue lines and associated landscaping.

Value: £1m

Stage: Detail planning approval granted with conditions (TP ref 11/00783/FUL_MJ). Contractor appointed but not yet named.

Start: January 2012
End: June 2012
Duration: 6 months

Next research call: 16th Dec 2011
corkscru74

Yeah, June IS a bit late for a ride that's expected to open in March :lol:
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
themealgang

June is very late for opening a new ride. I don't think Merlin are fans of opening rides mid season like Pleasure Beach or Flamingoland have done the past; even flagship attractions Merlin like to get open to the public for the first time on the first day of the season. Am I right in thinking that Thirteen's queue was finished a matter of hours before the ride opened to the public for the first time?

This a medium development attraction, and with that in mind, I suspect opening day will be day one of the 2012 season.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
.Will

[s:2wbuzd5n]They will be adding to the ride until June, doesn't mean it won't open in June.

I am still up for a 'start-of-the-season' opening to be honest.[/s:2wbuzd5n]

:)

* Edit, I am going to sit on the fence with this one to be honest I don't see the point of opening the ride mid season unless there is some trick. I would like to be proven wrong.
Last edited by .Will on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris W

I very much doubt that it will be open for the start of the season, everything I have heard suggests a opening later in the season.

Perhaps Alton has something else up their sleeve for opening day 2012.
JB1985

[quote=""pluk""]No it's not 'the nemesis', but if your referring to something relating to nemesis it is quite right to say "the nemesis (whatever)".
You don't say "look at bus conductor", you say "look at the bus conductor". The 'the' above is relating to the theme, they are not calling 'Nemesis' 'the Nemesis'. Pedantry, eh.

Anyway, good idea, would tie it all together nicely.[/quote]

Hmmmmm - my bad i think!
After reading the post again (in preperation for a debate) it appears I jumped at the 'the nemesis' part of the post and skipped past the context of the use of the word 'the'. Ooppss!

Anyway, I would be very suprised if this opens on opening day next year. Considering that they have only just put the contracts out to tender and havent actually started construction yet I find it almost impossible to see how they will get the ride built to a good standard (let alone the standard we deserve) by opening day.

In a way I hope that a summer opening is the case. This should give them plenty of time to make a real good job at this.

One thing, IF this is scheduled for a summer opening, could this signal that SW7 will not be in FV?

Think about it, if it is to be in FV would you want two big construction projects ongoing at the same time? Also, perhaps this ride will open to co-incide with the closure of The Flume? Just speculating.
Maelstrom

I know this has been mentioned before but i have heard again recently that the CCL theatre will be getting knocked down shortly and replaced with a brand new 4D Cinema (not sure if they just mean the current theatre is getting gutted and re-fitted or the whole building is being replaced by a new one) The cinema will then show ICE AGE 4D. I also heard it mentioned they would create an ice age area, again not sure i can see that happening as CCL is only a few years old but we will have to wait and see. I would imagine some kind of store would be added so they can sell Ice Age merchadise.

Will be interesting also if the Ice Tent is put back into service as a live show venue to replace the CCL theatre.
Magrathea

I have absolutely no objection to Alton choosing to open a ride later into the season at all; I'd much rather have a ride built within a comfortable time frame, than having things being rushed and bodged at the last minute, only to be left that way for the rest of the ride's operation.

This way, the first days of the season should be quieter and therefore easier on the new staff to find their feet without a massive queue of people demanding the new ride, and also means that the park can do a secondary wave of advertising after opening, to keep the park in public awareness and keep gate figures up.

Also, it means lots of construction coverage from inside the park :D.
JB1985

[quote=""Magrathea""]I have absolutely no objection to Alton choosing to open a ride later into the season at all; I'd much rather have a ride built within a comfortable time frame, than having things being rushed and bodged at the last minute, only to be left that way for the rest of the ride's operation.

This way, the first days of the season should be quieter and therefore easier on the new staff to find their feet without a massive queue of people demanding the new ride, and also means that the park can do a secondary wave of advertising after opening, to keep the park in public awareness and keep gate figures up.

Also, it means lots of construction coverage from inside the park :D.[/quote]

Couldnt have put it better myself....
Blaze

I do, for two reasons.

First, if they have early problems, like they did with Thirteen, there's not much time to fix it before the busiest periods the year outside of Scarefest. I went to Flamingoland just after Mumbo Jumbo opened and it was a shambles. Not what Alton should be doing. At least with Thirteen they had a few quiter months before the summer to do work on it, putting the newer trims on and stuff.

Second, it's not really fair on the people who go before it opened. Like how we were saying if they made improvements to Scarefest it wouldn't be fair on the people who went earlier on. It's the 'New for 2012' ride, and therefore should be open for the 2012 season, not just two thirds of it.
adsyrah

My only problem with a ride opening in AT in June is that I tend to visit the park mid May to avoid school holiday crowds!
Magrathea

[quote=""Blaze""]I do, for two reasons.
Second, it's not really fair on the people who go before it opened. Like how we were saying if they made improvements to Scarefest it wouldn't be fair on the people who went earlier on. It's the 'New for 2012' ride, and therefore should be open for the 2012 season, not just two thirds of it.[/quote]

But "Unleashed 2012" simply means that the ride will open at some point in 2012. I doubt the majority of park visitors even think about the fact that there's a closed season and an opening day, and if the ride isn't used in promotional work until the buildup to its opening then there's very little cause for people to be disappointed, and seeing construction could encourage them to come back again.

Besides which, the ride might not be the only thing Alton have up their sleeves for next season :).
Jordan

It seems unusual for Towers to open a ride mid-season. Has it been done before?

In recent times, it seems like new attractions have always opened at the start of the season, which does build an expectation in the general public that whenever they visit during the year, they will be able to ride that year's new attractions.

Also, as WLB is most likely going to form a major part of their advertising next year, does that mean that they would have to run two separate advertising campaigns through the year - one for the first half of the year up until June without WLB, and then the main campaign from June onwards to advertise the new ride?

It seems quite messy really. :|
Vik

The last big attraction to open after the opening day of the season was RITA, which opened, I recall, 2 weeks after opening day, and just in time for the Easter holidays. I can't recall any major attraction since opening later than season start.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

SAM93

I really can't see the problem in this opening part way through the season, loads of parks do it, Drayton Manor, Flamingoland, Blackpool, even Merlin's own Legoland and Dungeons attractions do it! Many points have been made in the favour of the ride opening later, it will be of better quality and be properly finished, it makes opening day less stressful for new staff, and it also gives us something to look forward to part way through the year. Just sit tight and have patience, I am sure they know what they are doing, it will be fine :)

In all honesty, the ride opening in June could be a great thing for Alton, it would mean it opening just in time for School Trip season, meaning all the kids would go back home telling friends and family all about it, thus massively boosting the summer and late season gate figures!

Besides, like James said, for all we know, Towers may have more than one thing up their sleeve for 2012, so we may still get something new for the start of season as well! In my opinion, 2012 should be a great year for them, and if it means getting a great quality attraction I do not have a problem with this opening in June :)
Dormiens-Dave

It doesn't really bother me if it opens mid-season so long as its clear to the public thats the case, Driving school was also a mid season development.

As there is rumoured 2 new attractions next year i'm sure the smaller addition will allow for something to get excited about in march :)