The future of Nemesis.....

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Has The Smiler Taken Nemesis's crown?

Yes
13%
No
45%
50/50
14%
They are different types of coasters
28%

Total votes: 149
lozzyhickers

the son on the hole wrote: that wan't what i was meant, What I was implying was that If it starts getting dodgy on a regular baisis aloton will either change alot of parts to rides or get rid of it IMO
That won't be happening anytime soon. In the past 18 years, very few parts have actually been replaced! So the next 18 probably won't be much different. It would take ALOT for it to be removed, being a custom and all.
RyanY

Why would Nemesis get dodgy? It was made by B&M who are probay the best company for maintaining their rides. And jut think of the cost there would be if they were to remove it, there's just no point.
Jammydodger

I could imagine land erosion being more of a bigger problem here. I shouldn't imagine the landscaping will last anymore than another decade or so, before it requires some extensive work. After all its put under a lot of pressure and intense vibrations, and some of the footers are literally hanging off a cliff edge.

The question is, did they plan for this when they built it originally? I'm not saying they wont make the effort, but it'd be awful if they ran into some sort of unsolvable landscaping issue.
lozzyhickers

Jammydodger wrote: I could imagine land erosion being more of a bigger problem here. I shouldn't imagine the landscaping will last anymore than another decade or so, before it requires some extensive work. After all its put under a lot of pressure and intense vibrations, and some of the footers are literally hanging off a cliff edge.

The question is, did they plan for this when they built it originally? I'm not saying they wont make the effort, but it'd be awful if they ran into some sort of unsolvable landscaping issue.
Of course they thought about it, it was built for the long term. Wardley said it will be there for my grandchildren to ride, he knows about such issues, and I believe him.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Cos if you can't trust an Alton Towers worker, sausages are currently floating in the air outside your house!
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
lozzyhickers

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Cos if you can't trust an Alton Towers worker, sausages are currently floating in the air outside your house!
He doesn't work for towers anymore. He's been right about the first rides he ever designed, he can be right wth Nemesis. Structurally theres no reason why it'll be going for a long while, and it certainly isn't losing popularity.
TB2

Jammydodger wrote: I could imagine land erosion being more of a bigger problem here. I shouldn't imagine the landscaping will last anymore than another decade or so, before it requires some extensive work. After all its put under a lot of pressure and intense vibrations, and some of the footers are literally hanging off a cliff edge.

I read somewhere (no idea where) that B&M see their rides having a shelf life of approximately 25 years. Now as long as Alton look after Nemesis and its surrounding landscape there is absolutely no reason why it won't be there in another 20. Even 18 years later it looks and rides like a modern day rollercoaster so it certainly hasn't aged in the same way that Corkscrew did or Vampire and Colossus have. It's queue times will be that little bit longer this year with the connection to Sub-Terra, having the parks most popular ride Air on top of it and being one of the first attractions you see from the Monorail.

Nah, I stand by many posters sentiments. Nemesis has a long time as long as its surrounding landscape is maintained.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

truckaddict

Nemesis has been my favourite ride ever since I had been on it earlier this year - but I would hate the fact that in a few years it will go. Do you think Alton Towers will rebuild this great ride or have you got something completely different?

Merry Christmas  :)

Bi and proud
Th13TEENGUY

I think they will keep it for a while maybe until sw8 it will be sad to see it go  :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
LCFC til i die
truckaddict

Th13TEENGUY wrote: I think they will keep it for a while maybe until sw8 it will be sad to see it go  :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
You never no - sw8 could be a bigger and better version of Nemesis  ) :)

Bi and proud
Th13TEENGUY

truckaddict wrote:
Th13TEENGUY wrote: I think they will keep it for a while maybe until sw8 it will be sad to see it go  :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
You never no - sw8 could be a bigger and better version of Nemesis  ) :)
Hopefully but it would hard to top it
LCFC til i die
truckaddict

John Wardley should be able to - or they could do something like Thorpe's wing coaster

Bi and proud
Hitch

truckaddict wrote: Nemesis has been my favourite ride ever since I had been on it earlier this year - but I would hate the fact that in a few years it will go. Do you think Alton Towers will rebuild this great ride or have you got something completely different?

Merry Christmas  :)
Im hoping they will replace track pieces and keep it for aslong as they can, however thats probably not going to happen :( Its got atleast another 10 years though surely? who's said it's going anytime soon?
Boz

Topics merged
Another reminder to everyone, Please help us keep the forums tidy, by looking for existing topics before creating new ones.
Also, please consider whether or not your topic really need's to be discussed before creating it.
Benji

if corkscrew, which was a pretty 'old' design of rollercaoster lasted 30years, im sure a B&M could last a lot longer!
It has only been there for almost 19years..

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Tryst

Nemesis is a world-famous roller coaster. Not because it's the tallest, fastest or has the most inversions. If you took away the theme and the landscaping and put it on a flat piece of dirt, it would merely be a good roller coaster, as opposed to a great one.

I suspect that for as long as AT can get the parts for Nemesis, they'll keep her going. She may not be composed of any of the original parts in 10 years, but she'll still be the same roller coaster.
DrReeve

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Look Nemesis is now 18 years old. So far this legend has:

Been called one of the world's most intense ride experiences from Day One to today.
Been voted the Alton Towers visitors favourite ride. (Remember KING Nemmy?)
Been a world known story and comic strip told by Doctor Who (I'm sorry, I meant Tom Baker!)
Has now spawned a sequel (Sub-Terra in 5 days)

So putting it that way I have one question,

WHY THE HELL WOULD ALTON TOWERS REMOVE THIS RIDE ANY TIME SOON!!!!
the story of nemesis has created 2 sequels nemesis inferno is connected if you dind realise from the names being slightly similar
Image credit to Lewis97
MC4

I think sw8 will be the cross-valley woodie and Nemesis will stay for years to come :D i think it still has at least another 10 years to go :) They can always close it for a year to do extensive resoration and regeneration works on it if necessary :)   
silenthillXD

I hope when Nemesis does leave they have a massive send off year for it. I am thinking reintroducing the story music to the queue, adding Phalanx soldiers around nemesis itself and plastering Phalanx propaganda hiring people to tame the Nemesis, culminating in the defeat of nemesis (a hell of a lot of fireworks) after the final ride. That would be amazing if they could do that. Allthough I can't see this happening for ages, as altons signature ride they will keep it for as long as they lack a ride which beats it.
DrReeve

silenthillXD wrote: I hope when Nemesis does leave they have a massive send off year for it. I am thinking reintroducing the story music to the queue, adding Phalanx soldiers around nemesis itself and plastering Phalanx propaganda hiring people to tame the Nemesis, culminating in the defeat of nemesis (a hell of a lot of fireworks) after the final ride. That would be amazing if they could do that. Allthough I can't see this happening for ages, as altons signature ride they will keep it for as long as they lack a ride which beats it.
Your right when it does go i would love to see loads of effort put into it Like the things you said. The fireworks show could be about taming nemesis. SO a firework show with a story line again
Image credit to Lewis97