The future of Nemesis.....

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Has The Smiler Taken Nemesis's crown?

Yes
13%
No
45%
50/50
14%
They are different types of coasters
28%

Total votes: 149
djneice

I personally think if it was to go they should replace with the same ride but maybe try making it longer by going further out (if they can) but yeah I think they should replace it with the same ride but somehow improved if they could. I could not see it leaving for a long time. And if that day comes thy will defo be having a big send off and some sort o memorial for it.
Luke

I suppose it all depends on how quickly ride & roller coaster technology develops.  At some point Nemesis will be outdated and an inferior experience to other rides.  Who knows how long that will be?  But if John Wardley says our grandkids will be able to ride it, he's the expert on this thing!

And at the moment, that's far from reality.  17 years on and with world firsts including Oblivion, Air and Th13teen - Nemesis is still the king at Alton.  I'm sorry Voke, but that 2016 rumour is nonsense to be given absolutely no thought at all.  Unless Nemesis has some sort of significant structural damage where the cost outweights its attraction power, it's gonna be around for a while yet.

The thing that concerns me with Alton however, and this is where I get very nostalgic, is that based on the current layout of the park, they are running out of space for new developments?  Asides from the Air car park, old rides will have to be knocked down for new rides for eg Corkscrew.  I guess The Flume would be the next one, but where next - Air?  It's cache 22, because we obviously want the latest thrills, but we also want the older rides to stay too!

I wish I was around in both 1994 & 1998 for Nemesis and Oblivion, the buzz and excitement must've been amazing, Air and Th13teen were both pretty special but those two beasts were even more so.
Poison Tom 96

Seen as Nemesis has no gimmicks it has relatively simple tech. this stuff would be quite easy to replace i believe....
JayTricky

It will happen one day. Hopefully not in my lifetime but I'm not holding my breath. It's going to eventually run its course especially because of the technology we have now, looking at some of the new coasters coming out. Yet Nemesis still is one of the best in the world, currently.

I can personally see, say, a 'Nemesis' Revenge' or something like that filling the exact same Valley, maybe going further out and being longer, replacing it one day. With the blood waterfalls theme and alien theme maybe staying just that it's another new coaster that's pinning it down. The Nemesis brand to me IS Alton Towers - they go hand in hand. I really cant see that EVER stopping. Yes, they'll change the ride but they'd be stupid to get rid of the brand.
Mr P

"Let's build a new dark-ride, to reinforce the Nemesis story, then get rid of the reason that the story exists!"

I'm sure that board meeting decision definitely happened...

:?
seanyboyuk

The park would have to think very well when it comes time to place a replacement coaster there as all the land was made just for that beast!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Surely if they extend it and update it, Alton would be tempted to call it NEMESIIS? :P

They could stretch it out over the old queueline if needs be.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
seanyboyuk

Id love many coasters to get extended but its never going to happen. The first designed and built layout is final. Extensions etc cant just be simply added due to coaster phsyics.
Blaze

False.

Phantom's Revenge. ;)
Poison Tom 96

don't mess with perfection
DiogoJ42

There's a difference between extending a layout, and reusing a couple of bits of track but otherwise building a new coaster. I know it has been done in the past with Blackpool woodies, or as you say, Phantom. But most modern steel coasters are 100% custom track that is designed for that specific part of the ride. Old woodies, and especially old Arrows were very much "plug and play" coasters made from standard elements that could be interchanged (to a point).
Blaze

I'm pretty sure no one was offering that as a serious suggestion. :P
Themeparksandy1981

If it does get boring they could turn the trains round lol
Will04

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: If it does get boring they could turn the trains round lol
Or not... :evil:
Bubbaride

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: If it does get boring they could turn the trains round lol
I don't understand how it could get boring? surely that rush of adrenaline and the feeling you get makes it exciting.... you only experience it when your on the ride :L
Themeparksandy1981

I was joking ain't teens got a sence of humour any more. I can see Nemesis getting new trains and the station nemesis monster rebuilt to last another 20 years. Last season the coaster ran better than it has ever done.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Nemesis is one of the best thrill rides in the world! Towers would have to be mad to get rid of that BEAST! It's the most intense ride in the park and removing it would just be a sad re-repeat of Corkscrew. One beloved coaster out, one useless, overhyped world-first coaster in.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
Last edited by Benjy Alton Towers Kid on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
BigAl

Going back to the discussion regarding changing parts on steel coasters, Maverick at Cedar Point had one of its planned heart-line rolls removed before it was opened as it would have literally been a killer inversion! :P

Before:

After:

So they could modify a part of a steel roller coaster with new track. The chances that they would with Nemesis are slim to none.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

With Nemesis almost 20 years old, some new and improved track might be a good idea. However, the old and rustic track fits in well with Nemesis' theming.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
BigAl

The track is fine. Bits will be changed over the years but they will be made to blend in with the rest of the track.

Changing the layout wouldn't just be Alton shooting themselves in the foot, it would be more equivalent to nuking themselves in the foot.