Future Merchandise Ideas?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
BigAl

I haven't been on here in a long time but now I'm back on I'll start off with a new topic.

The reason for this topic is that I was rooting through a cupboard today and found an old juice beaker from Alton Towers that's about 10 years old and is a light bluey colour with a turquoise and pink lid with the old Alton Towers logo in red and white and also with the Haunted House, Toyland Tours, Nemesis, River Rapids and Runaway Mine Train graphics on it. I was delighted to see it again and it brought back a lot of fond memories I wish I could relive.

This beaker got me thinking, what merchandise could Merlin introduce into the shops at Alton Towers? Please join in and post your ideas here :)

I'll start off with an idea I had whilst looking at old memorabilia that was for sale on eBay this evening as there were a few old park maps on there (including one from 1994 which I would love to own considering this was the year my two favourite rides of all time were introduced) and it popped into my head that it would be a nice idea to reintroduce special versions of the current park map but in the style of some of the older maps. These could either be free or maybe be around 99p or something I haven't really given a price a thought I'd just love to own those old maps as it's fascinating to see the changes that Alton Towers has undergone over the decades but it would simply cost too much to own them and finding them all could take a while. some might argue that this sort of thing would only appeal to enthusiasts or something but it's just an idea and it's probably never going to happen so it doesn't really matter.
Last edited by BigAl on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

I wish they'd bring back Oblivion's original merchandise - such as the cool body spray range.

Am I the only one who hates this new styling with the font outside the logo?.. :x

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/07/0 ... t-hits-ad/
crofty2009

okay i never got to see a lot of the old merchandise, but i do remember an article mentioning a branded condom for one of the roller coasters.

since alton is now such a big resort why not bring something similar back, after all JLS bought out there own condom range.

you could have:
air: feather-light
13: ribbed
oblivion: extra safe

that sort of thing, in this day and age i can't really see a problem, they could be sold at the hotel, where you might expect them to be needed.

probably a silly thought but since you ask.
starbugger1303

They already sell Oblivion condoms in X-Cell... There in a little container by the counter.

:)
BigAl

They could also sell snow globes like they used to but feature some newer rides maybe? Another wilder idea would be to see if 'Coaster Dynamix' would be willing to work with Merlin and produce a scale model of the some or all of the coasters at Alton as the ones they make for some of the American theme parks look briliant and who can honestly say they wouldn't like a working scale model of Nemesis or Oblivion :P
Perhaps it would work if they sold just one 'Coaster Dynamix' model for the winner of the 'All Time Greats' competition to see how it would fare on sale and if it's a success maybe take it a little further? Kids would love this sort of thing for a Birthday or Christmas but at the same time they can appeal to teens and adults and pretty much all coaster and Alton Towers enthusiasts, etc... Discounts for Annual Pass holders :joy:
MinteButtons

I would love to see something like a range of charm bracelets.
You would buy the bracelet with an Alton Towers charm on for £5. Additional charms could then be sold for rides, and limited numbers at special events (concerts etc) which could then be sold at a higher price.
daveclarkedaveclarke

[quote=""MinteButtons""]I would love to see something like a range of charm bracelets.
You would buy the bracelet with an Alton Towers charm on for £5. Additional charms could then be sold for rides, and limited numbers at special events (concerts etc) which could then be sold at a higher price.[/quote]

thats quite a good idea! i know my other half would be interested.
The its man

I wish they'd finally make an attachment for your glasses so you can take them on rides [-o< . Simple, but very effective and would most certainly sell.
ImageImage
Screw the entrance fee, I have an annual pass!
MinteButtons

[quote=""The its man""]I wish they'd finally make an attachment for your glasses so you can take them on rides [-o< . Simple, but very effective and would most certainly sell.[/quote]

I've looked everywhere for one of those and can't find one. I'd buy one, as I'm very short-sighted and it's not as good when you can't see your surroundings, oh and I struggle seeing which bay I'm meant to be going to with my specs off. :lol:
BigAl

[quote=""The its man""]I wish they'd finally make an attachment for your glasses so you can take them on rides [-o< . Simple, but very effective and would most certainly sell.[/quote]

That's a pretty good idea but these could/should be implemented across all theme parks (if the park has rides where glasses have a chance of falling off).

"Merlin helping people with poor eye sight to have a better time at their parks"... ethical = good publicity!

Or possibly 'ride goggles' that are styled to the various rides they'd be necessary on maybe (and ordinary glasses can be worn under the goggles? Might not be as practical come to think of it your idea's better :lol:
mrbrightside

I'd love this! I always take my glasses off when riding and have to rely on whoever I am with to put them in a bag or look after them outside the ride if they're not riding or whatever. Means I miss out on being able to actually bloody see anything too...
ImageImage
ryanlovesaltontowers

I know this is a little off-topic but has anyone noticed that all Nemesis merchandise that uses Nemesis' logo has a funny circle design above and below the word Nemesis. I think it looks quite good and improves the logo loads, I think its featured on the 'All Time Greats' poster.
dmmosh1

the pens that when you turn the upside down the ink runs and shows a naked lady :D
.Will

More mugs and syringe pens please.

Kthxbai.

:P
Islander

(Little O/T, but...) To all those talking about glasses straps, get to your local Cotsworlds shop (don't know if they're UK-wide? Certainly a few down south) and buy a pair of 'Croakies'. Just £6, and works like a charm :D.

(Probably available online in a few places as well, haven't looked m'self).
Mike

[url=http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... _-A1130001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... _-A1130001[/url] :) <-- just ordered one, thanks Islander! :D

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
BigAl

I really hate the drinks bottles becasue they don't have anything to keep the contents safe if you leave the bottle in your bag or in a locker to go onto a ride so I'd love for Merlin to just do a simple redesign of the lid and straw to feature a closing cap which would go over the end of the straw.

To something like this:

(I mean just the cap on the straw not the bottle)

It wouldn't take a lot to fix and I really don't understand why they ever made the current bottles without a close function it's really frustrating. Whilst at Alton Towers last year with some of my friends I purchased the Merlin Annual Pass one and asked at the fish and chip shop in Forbidden Valley if they could just fill it half full because I was about to go on Nemesis. She acknowledged my request and still went and filled it up full so I stood in the queue for Nemesis with my friends and drank an entire bottle before I got on the ride because I didn't trust it in my bag full of Cola. After the ride there must have been a bit of cola left in the bottom and someone had knocked my bag whilst getting their stuff and I still managed to get it all in my bag #-o
SIMR

I remember a thread like this from quite a while back.

I always wanted socks to be sold - like the ones that have designs on them. They could easily stitch coaster logos onto them and a bit of coaster track going around the sock or something. Everyone loves socks, right? It's an easy way out of buying someone a gift...
mrbrightside

Al, I'm fairly sure that the "normal" black drinks containers have a cap over the end... So it's strange that AP ones do not.
ImageImage
BigAl

[quote=""mrbrightside""]Al, I'm fairly sure that the "normal" black drinks containers have a cap over the end... So it's strange that AP ones do not.[/quote]

The ordinary red ones don't have caps either as I asked for a silver AP one when I went with my friends and was told they didn't sell them at the fish and chips restaurant in FV so I went to the veggie place next to Ripsaw and I told them I specifically wanted the silver drinks container because I'm an AP holder and they still gave me the red one #-o After this was swapped free of charge to make up for the stupidity of the staff at the food outlets in FV that one doesn't have a cap on it either.

I imagine somebody leaving their beaker in one of the cages to go on a ride and them coming back to find the floor covered in cola or Fanta :lol: