Future Merchandise Ideas?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
jackgcse

My idea was always to have proper 'team wear' merchandise, i.e. like a sports T Shirt with all the advertising on it and recognizable everywhere.

It's difficult to grasp, but take for instance an F1 Team's F1 Shirt that anyone can Buy. There are slight differences to the genuine shirts worn by the team but very similar. Now imagine the advertising on that shirt and replace it with say "Alton Towers" and then with some of the theme park's Brands like "Nestle" or "CocaCola".
In a sense the Shirt would be an enhancement of the shirts they currently sell but keep a seasonal shirt that is the official top, and most of the staff could wear them...it's advertising, it would probably be popular and keep the brand identity going.

Now we have the issue of recognizing staff to guests with the same tops. As I said there are slight differences, for example like a footballers shirt they have their name "Staff" could be on the back of their shirts but not on public sale shirts. Furthermore staff have name badges and lanyards anyway so they are recognizable.

In my head this merchandise idea is all about marketing and promoting it to a wider audience, if sport can use advertising in such a way and sell shirts etc for a fortune why can't the park profit from the same thing? It doesn't take a genius to realise that the ride shirts with just "Th13teen" written on them, could easily have had also "Mastercard" on the sleeve etc, because they are the park's promoters.

Anyway that's my idea, hope you enjoy it!
Last edited by jackgcse on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach

jackgcse wrote: My idea was always to have proper 'team wear' merchandise, i.e. like a sports T Shirt with all the advertising on it and recognizable everywhere.

It's difficult to grasp, but take for instance an F1 Team's F1 Shirt that anyone can Buy. There are slight differences to the genuine shirts worn by the team but very similar. Now imagine the advertising on that shirt and replace it with say "Alton Towers" and then with some of the theme park's Brands like "Nestle" or "CocaCola".
In a sense the Shirt would be an enhancement of the shirts they currently sell but keep a seasonal shirt that is the official top, and most of the staff could wear them...it's advertising, it would probably be popular and keep the brand identity going.

Now we have the issue of recognizing staff to guests with the same tops. As I said there are slight differences, for example like a footballers shirt they have their name "Staff" could be on the back of their shirts but not on public sale shirts. Furthermore staff have name badges and lanyards anyway so they are recognizable.

In my head this merchandise idea is all about marketing and promoting it to a wider audience, if sport can use advertising in such a way and sell shirts etc for a fortune why can't the park profit from the same thing? It doesn't take a genius to realise that the ride shirts with just "Th13teen" written on them, could easily have had also "Mastercard" on the sleeve etc, because they are the park's promoters.

Anyway that's my idea, hope you enjoy it!
No offence but no, just no. It's bad enough they ruined Oblivion with Fanta branding on the ride, no one wants an oblivion sponsored by Fanta t-shirt or hoodie! Keep away from branding as much as possible and keep the magic alive. you talk like a business Person, you're not, you're not one of them, you're a nerd keeping the magic alive nooooooooo
Last edited by Zach on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toonsville

I would love to see Costumes with full head masks with faces hiding which will look like animals or cartoon characters as merchandise suitable for children and adult, as I would love to see kids dress up in costumes with full head masks with faces hiding. That's my idea for Alton Towers merchandise.
jackgcse

That's what I study Hospitality and Marketing Management...And I would love to see the magic remain, unfortunately these businesses are interest in image, brand, etc.
RedStar98

I'd really like to see more DVDs, CDs and booklets available- park music, old adverts, footage of old rides and events, old news articles, that sort of thing featuring the history of the park, just because it would be cool.
Burniel

Sell some Corkscrew merchandise in the 13 exit shop ;)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Dom

In my opinion, the merchandise they offer at the moment isn't hugely 'spread out'. It just seems to be the same. Mugs, key rings, clothing, pens etc etc. It is the usual 'tat' that you can find at any tourist attraction. It does sell though. The only 'decent' and unique thing I have seen them sell is the little Oxford Diecast train model of the old style Rita trains. These I think are brilliant, (and not just because i work in the toy/model industry). They are unique and slightly different to the other stuff they sell and I personally would love to see more unique items like these. I think they should expand the little models of the trains, to cover all the coaster trains. Also I think more literature and multi-media items should be sold. I also feel that in Towers Trading Company, they seem to have focused at least a third of the shop selling sweets. I personally don't think they should do this. They should remove the sweets and confectionery and open up another smaller shop, (sponsored by Cadbury), and have that selling the sweets and confectionery. This would open up more space for more items.
Tom.B

I'd love to see some more resins (like The Smiler 'trophy' as they call it), but one of all 6 main rides. If they do, I'd definitely buy them all, and they could all focus on the ride's main feature.
  • Nemesis - Loop or helix.
  • Oblivon - Drop.
  • Air - Any part of the ride really.
  • Rita - Air time hill or launch.
  • Thirteen - Freefall drop part.
  • The Smiler - Marmaliser.
Last edited by Tom.B on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samandmelvin66

I would absolutely love it if they would sort of copy Walt Disney World's idea by introducing toy replicas of the ride cars

Test Track:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Coheteboy/Toys/Disney/01-23.jpg
Dinosaur:https://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/203/589/890/l_disney-world-diecast-ride-vehicle-test-track-%2B-dinosaur-339b.jpg
Cobby

I know it the old style Rita car but I would love to see this in the shops @ Alton Towers Image
Danny

One thing that is very unlikely AT will ever be able to do well is pin badge trading. I LOVE disney spin badge trading as it gets all the staff interactive with the kids and also adds to the children's experience, and let's face it, it's not just for the kids! :)
However I do understand that AT have barely anything that they could make badges of, like disney use the characters, AT have nothing really which Is a real shame.
jmed

Chessington do (or did) a kind of badge swap. They just themed them after each ride. This could work. Even introduce old rides or mascots etc, bring some
of the magic back.
nemyjoe

I would love to see ride train replicas i think they would look so cool
Aswell they could make models of the rides stations like who wouldnt want a thirteen station in the bedroom.
Lastly i would like to see some merch for hex.
Count-Vonduel

Here is what I would like to see in the shops at Alton Towers.

I would love to see them open a shop outside CatCF
and sell some Wonka Chocolate (Cadbury)

I would love to see some figurines (the same size as resins) of Characters such as the Park Keepers or Snorlax and friends.

I want to see some Clothing for Mutiny Bay, Pirate Show, Duel, Congo Rapids RMT, Hotels and Franklyn Patch Skelvin and Phil at Scarefest.
Morgan

Wonka have a brand already from Nestle, but would be great to have around CaTCF. Also, RMT has a clothing line
Inferno Attractions

DUEL MERCHANDISE NOW!!!!!!!!

Especially a Pin Badge of the logo
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Morgan

Duel logo badge sounds good!

RMT resin would be neat, and a motorized train-track engine themed to the front-carrige. Maybe some ScareFest merch like a torch, resin and phone-cases.
SuperWill

Maybe we could have Smiler toothpaste? :P :P

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Morgan

Oblivion bin!
KatangaZebra

I saw a Haunted House patch on ebay a while ago and thought that ATR should have patches with the ride logos on