2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Blaze

[quote=""captain""][quote=""Blaze""]I'm not saying they can't have that idea, I'm saying that if they did go through with that idea, it would be, in my own opinion, vulgar, pretentious and silly.[/quote]
Maybe that would be the case if a park in the UK were to attempt it, but parks on the continent, Universal and Disney etc are all more than capable of making excellent themed restaurants, so there's no reason why AT couldn't.[/quote]
There's a differnce between a themed restaurant and one with an active story that takes part in the story of the area and a ride. Especially in this case where they'd have to add something about 'woodcutters' being involved in a story that involves nothing more than finding an old haunted building.
Maelstrom

It is highly unlikly alton will be installing a second hand Vekoma coaster next year and certainly not a boomerang or wirlwind model (in fact there is no way it will be either of those models). The only second hand model from vekoma i could see them adding is a roller skater or kids inverted roller coaster. Although anything can happen i would think we would only see a second hand ride/coaster at a merlin park if it came from another merlin park.
JAMMYD777

Hey.

Not sure whether this is something to be regarded as for the 2012 season but according to UK Park News, one of the reasons for the price increase on the annual passes was this response from Merlin themselves.
– Fantastic new investment already announced for 2012 including major new rides at THORPE PARK and at Alton Towers Resort
Could be interesting.

JAMMYD777
SW7:
Maelstrom

When the 10 year plan was previewed in summer 2009 they said they were looking to add 4 medium or large rides/attractions between 2010 and 2014 and then 6 medium to large rides/attractions between 2015 and 2019. We have had 1 of those so far in 2010 with Thireen. That leaves a medium or large investment each season until 2019, according to the plan back then there would have always been one season between 2010-2014 with no medium to large investment. medium sized investments at merlin parks seem to range around £4m-£6m at their large parks and large investments £10m+

If the plan still exists in that form hopefully Alton wont be seeing any low investment seasons for the forseable future unlike thorpe who seem to be following a pattern of one major investment followed by two low investment years.
James

[quote=""JAMMYD777""]Hey.

Not sure whether this is something to be regarded as for the 2012 season but according to UK Park News, one of the reasons for the price increase on the annual passes was this response from Merlin themselves.
– Fantastic new investment already announced for 2012 including major new rides at THORPE PARK and at Alton Towers Resort
Could be interesting.

JAMMYD777[/quote]
Voke mentioned this on page 4. :)

I'm not quite sure what to expect in 2012. There are many areas that could be potentially developed on. Out of everything we've got these possibilities:
- Flat ride in Dark Forest
- Flume replacement
- Beastie replacement
- 4D cinema
- Black Hole tent attraction

Alton Towers could go for any of them really, it would be nice to see two developments next year but I'm just expecting the one development. Black Hole tent would be the most favourable addition, along with a X Sector spruce up and removal of Fanta sponsorship *hint hint* but I can see them trying to leave the tent for another few seasons and perhaps adding a flat ride to Dark Forest (this could easily be marketed as a "major" addition) along with a Flume retheme to keep the ride looking fresh for a few years. I would be highly surprised if the Flume gets replaced next year, and it's already getting in a state of disrepair so a temporary retheme may be the best thing to do just to leave it on the to do list for a good few years while the rest of the park gets sorted.
AdrenalineAlex

The robo-arms are great fun, when I was to Futuroscope they were really enjoyable but the queueing was exhausting. But on the highest intensity I really wanted to do it again :twisted:

I kind of agree with the fact that the Flume is just gasping for some TLC, and that Alton may leave it until it can't be used then replace it so they can invest elsewhere. I think Dark Forest definitely needs a crowd soaking flat ride personally to eat the queue's of two of the major roller coasters in the park (including the newest addition) so I think they will prioritize that first then work on X-Sector.
SIMR

[quote=""Blaze""]How pretentious is that! A restraunt with a story? Jesus Christ.

Anyway, Blade would be too tall for Dark Forest, and take up too much room because of it's shape.[/quote]

Well seeing as a lot of people here moan about the lack of visible story in the Dark Forest, it would at least add something there. And, you do realise that to unearth Th13teen's crypt, the supposed workers would have had to cut down trees? I don't see how that wouldn't tie in with the area; It's like saying Ripsaw doesn't fit in with Forbidden Valley just because it doesn't entirely relate to Nemesis' alien story.

Like Captain said, just because restaurants in Britain aren't at the same level as the ones in American parks, doesn't mean Alton couldn't at least try to create a restaurant that fitted in with an area instead of being plonked next to it.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""SIMR""][quote=""Blaze""]How pretentious is that! A restraunt with a story? Jesus Christ.

Anyway, Blade would be too tall for Dark Forest, and take up too much room because of it's shape.[/quote]

Well seeing as a lot of people here moan about the lack of visible story in the Dark Forest, it would at least add something there. And, you do realise that to unearth Th13teen's crypt, the supposed workers would have had to cut down trees? I don't see how that wouldn't tie in with the area; It's like saying Ripsaw doesn't fit in with Forbidden Valley just because it doesn't entirely relate to Nemesis' alien story.

Like Captain said, just because restaurants in Britain aren't at the same level as the ones in American parks, doesn't mean Alton couldn't at least try to create a restaurant that fitted in with an area instead of being plonked next to it.[/quote]

That Woodcutter's place isn't even in Dark Forest, so its a bit sily they've tried to theme it that way when they could of tried to make it fit with Fountain Square instead. To be honest, as much as its a nice restaurant and all, I really think it was better suited to an entertainment area. It's not even that popular, even during the summer there arnt many people in there.

:)
Blaze

[quote=""SIMR""][quote=""Blaze""]How pretentious is that! A restraunt with a story? Jesus Christ.

Like Captain said, just because restaurants in Britain aren't at the same level as the ones in American parks, doesn't mean Alton couldn't at least try to create a restaurant that fitted in with an area instead of being plonked next to it.[/quote]
Ripsaw doesn't have a story though, it's just a ride that's made to fit in with the look and feel. If a ride doesn't have a story then a restraunt that isn't even technically in an area certainly shouldn't. When I go to eat, I go to eat, not to take part in some sort of story. I just want food.
SIMR

"Ripsaw is a piece of shrapnel which was thrown out of the Nemesis pit", it is linked to another ride in the area, which means it does have a story, even if it is a little less prominent than others.

I agree completely that you go to a restaurant to eat, but saying "not to take part in some sort of story" is blowing it way out of proportion. I never said I would think that the restaurant would take part in that big of a way, just having it referenced in the (repositioned) Blade's story would be enough to make a point and make the restaurant serve more of a purpose than it does now.
Blaze

Ripsaw is themed to shrapnel as you say, but it's not doing anything, it's just a reason to justify it's appearance, and it is not used at all in the park, it's just what it is supposed to look like.

A restaurant needs no other purpose other than to provide food. It's fine to have a themed restaurant that fits in, but to give it a story and one that changes the story of the area is just a no-no, especially to tie it in to a ride. Giving Blade a proper story would probably be too far if Thirteen and Rita don't have one. They're just themed rides, they don't need a story. It would be much better to just leave them as they are.
bradpeet

I thought that Ripsaw was supposed to be a device to detox people who had been too close to Nemesis? I'm sure that I heard an announcement at the end of the ride only last year which said "You have been detoxed by Ripsaw. Please exit to the right"

And I hope that they never relocated blade. Remove it maybe, but it's not fit to be reused because it seems to have such a limited swing.

Maybe roboarms are the way to go. If they had something like 4 groups of 4, with an operator for each group but the load/unload staff moving to each group in turn I would have thought that throughput and staffing would be perfectly aceptable. And if the queues get too big, they can always run them on shorter cycles (we all know that is what happens).
Blaze

That's a joke reffering to the water and the spinning. :P
Coke

[quote=""bradpeet""] And if the queues get too big, they can always run them on shorter cycles (we all know that is what happens).[/quote]

Can they make 4 seated roboarms instead of the standard 2, as that would increase capacity greatly?

----------
Last edited by Coke on Sun May 22, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you thirsty?
Rob_Green94

I thought Morwenna said at the TH13TEEN evening that they had something install for the BHT come 2012? I want a Roller coaster to go in there.
AstroDan

She said it was a likely place but not definite. If it stays empty again it'll be unbelievable to be honest.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
haydn!

She just said it was one of the locations being considered for the next SW, but they had other ideas for the Black Hole site if the next SW went some where else.
James6

After this year I doubt Merlin would create hype and then not back it up. Major, I think to most people, or at least myself, means a roller coaster or a dark ride, and for either of those the Black Hole tent seems the only option on a short time scale.

Fingers crossed :P
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
bradpeet

I'm not so sure, James.

Although the MAP posts on Facebook aren't always worded as carefully as they could be ;)

I just checked back to their post, and the actual quote is
Fantastic new investment already announced for 2012 including major new rides at THORPE PARK and at Alton Towers Resort
So the investment has already been announced? I thought that all we had heard of so far was LC12. If there is no major new ride at Alton Towers in 2012 that statement will be misleading to say the least. But they can always argue that plans do change.

Do they actually care what people say on Facebook anyway?
Nightfall

[quote=""haydn!""]She just said it was one of the locations being considered for the next SW, but they had other ideas for the Black Hole site if the next SW went somewhere else.[/quote] Not from what I recall. They didn't mention anything to do with SW7s location. All they said was that the Black Hole tent development would be either 2012 or after SW7.
[align=center]Image[/align]