2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
captain

Strange how Merlin are able to have theme coherence and consistency at Alton, but somehow themes at Thorpe are a complete mess.

It will be a welcome improvement to that area of Forbidden Valley, as I've always felt the theming and vague ambience doesn't really start until you get near Nemesis' crazy helix. It should make the gun feel less out of place also.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Blaze

I don't think it's the name, it doesn't really work. No one is going to call it 'Nemesis: What Lies Beneath', they'll just say 'What Lies Beneath', which is a strange name for a ride and makes no sense because there's no contect. Beneath what? I won't complain if that is the name, because it ties in with Nemesis and makes the ride a part of the 'lengen'd, so to speak. It's great that they're putting the two together.

I know we've been expecting something along these lines, but to have it confirmed is great to hear.

Looking forward to this. :D
PeteB

So next year we're getting a dark ride based around the theme/story of Nemesis... and this year Alton Towers was told by the GP that Nemesis is the king of rollercoasters.

Is there any chance they could spend a little cash on cleaning up the original ride?? I feel like this new dark ride is going to draw quite a bit of attention towards the rollercoaster as a side effect. Would be nice to see it patched up, cleaned, station painted and get that station audio working properly!
Benzin

[quote=""captain""]Strange how Merlin are able to have theme coherence and consistency at Alton, but somehow themes at Thorpe are a complete mess.[/quote]

Different parks, different managers, different audiences, different everything...

Thorpe is as much of a theme park these days as a Six Flags park...
.Will

[quote=""Blaze""]I don't think it's the name, it doesn't really work. No one is going to call it 'Nemesis: What Lies Beneath', they'll just say 'What Lies Beneath', which is a strange name for a ride and makes no sense because there's no contect. Beneath what? I won't complain if that is the name, because it ties in with Nemesis and makes the ride a part of the 'lengen'd, so to speak. It's great that they're putting the two together.[/quote]

They are not putting two and two together because many people don't know the legend What Lies Beneath is the Nemesis monster which is a story in itself. If you ask a question then people are going to want the answer so they are going to ride.

I would say the name is a smart ploy to get people thinking and more involved with a ride back story (of course not all rides should need that but that is the parks fault). Personally the I think the name works well, if the theme and ride are pulled off to a high quality that we expect of Merlin then it will be a fantastic addition to the park.

:)
Blaze

My use of the word 'legend' reffers to the aura and reputation Nemesis has, if the new ride can tap into that it will be a massive success for both of them.

The name has nothing to do with the story, it's just really literal. A ride about what lies beneath Nemesis.

:)
AshleeK

[quote=""Blaze""]I don't think it's the name, it doesn't really work. No one is going to call it 'Nemesis: What Lies Beneath', they'll just say 'What Lies Beneath', which is a strange name for a ride and makes no sense because there's no contect. Beneath what? I won't complain if that is the name, because it ties in with Nemesis and makes the ride a part of the 'lengen'd, so to speak. It's great that they're putting the two together.[/quote]

The other thing I noticed about the name is that there's a question mark at the end. It would be a bit odd if that is actually the name. I can't imagine someone saying "I love What Lies Beneath?".
corkscru74

[quote=""AshleeK""]
The other thing I noticed about the name is that there's a question mark at the end. It would be a bit odd if that is actually the name. I can't imagine someone saying "I love What Lies Beneath?".[/quote]
But then again who says "I love Charlie and The Chocolate Factory: The Ride"? After all that is its official moniker.

I like the question mark :D It's not saying "Oh hey, check it out, this is what's underneath Nemi" it's asking "OMG, What the heck is down there?" - see, intrigue. Not that I know whether this will or won't be the final name but whatever it's officially called it'll still be known as "That one next to Nemesis" :lol:
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
themealgang

Interesting; never seen a park do this before outside of Merlin! The fact that they have used a rhetorical question suggests that at this stage the information given today is being used as more of a marketing tool than anything else.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
AshleeK

[quote=""corkscru74""][quote=""AshleeK""]
The other thing I noticed about the name is that there's a question mark at the end. It would be a bit odd if that is actually the name. I can't imagine someone saying "I love What Lies Beneath?".[/quote]
But then again who says "I love Charlie and The Chocolate Factory: The Ride"? After all that is its official moniker.

I like the question mark :D It's not saying "Oh hey, check it out, this is what's underneath Nemi" it's asking "OMG, What the heck is down there?" - see, intrigue. Not that I know whether this will or won't be the final name but whatever it's officially called it'll still be known as "That one next to Nemesis" :lol:[/quote]

I'm just trying to draw attention that if you were to use the name in a conversation, it would sound like you are asking a question.
CoasterCrazyChris

I don't like the name.

It doesn't work.

Two rides called Nemesis?
BigAl

It'd be cool if there were areas in the queue line that had fallen through and you could see/hear something moving around underneath you as if whatever it is down there has moved around and disturbed the surface. You could stand in the queue and try and lean over the fence to get a better look but it's too dark down there to see properly. There could be warning signs and tape cordoning areas off because they're unsafe and parts of the ride building looking as though they're being pulled into the ground by making the earth around them all built up and uneven. Probably a bit too much though! :P
ryanlovesaltontowers

i know i'm probably thinking ahead here, but i can see this new ride having the same design of signage around the area and Nemesis' themetune being used as this rides themetune too (or perhaps a slight variation of the theme). Also i agree with other by saying when this ride is built Nemesis will be in need of some TLC, even if it just a station repaint (the station audio could do with being sorted out though). And hopefully if Nemesis' themetune is used on the ride, speakers will be placed by Forbidden Valley's entrance and near the Skyride and the Generator / Nemices (perhaps even used in the Fish & CHips place).
Benjsh

Am I missing something here? Why the excitement? I don't think people have thought it through properly.

Firstly, although it's not officially confirmed yet but may as well be, we're getting a 10 meter drop tower or several of them. I think the nemesis backstory is clouding people's judgement. Its just a glorified extremis ride.

Secondly, thanks to this new attraction, queue times for Nemesis (coaster) are going to be huge next year.

X Sector is already like a ghost town....probs be even more so next year with everyone in FV.

Out of all the areas that needed a ride the most to bring it back to life a bit....FV is well down on the list for me.
fredward

You are complaining it's going to be a glorified extremis ride. OK. In that point of view all dark rides are glorified granny scooters! :P and Hex is a glorified haunted swing. Dark rides are about atmosphere and set pieces. If done well this glorified Extremis ride will still be great fun.

So you are complaining that the queues for Nemesis are going to be huge next year and complaining that the queues in X-Sector are going to be small.... Surely you are just complaining for the sake of complaining since the two statements contradict each other...

Stop being so cynical and pessimistic. It's fine pointing out flaws in concepts, but if that's all you ever point out your life will be a very very depressing place.
Last edited by fredward on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDF14

[quote=""moog666""][quote=""DDF14""][quote=""DiogoJ42""]This ride will have nothing to do with Nemesis. If it does, I'll eat my pirate hat :yohoho:[/quote]

Ketchup or mayonaise dude !!! :lol: [/quote]

I just laughed so hard some wee came out.

Im really looking forward to this now. But I should raise the point that if this is not a good ride (which I doubt) it could be damaging to the Nemesis name.[/quote]

Good stuff!!

First of all im going to sympathise with Diogo about the use of the Nemesis brand, I get why It feels like Nemmy is being raped for all its worth especially after Inferno name use, the lack of TLC it has had and the fact we all now know its even the public favourite. However I am a supporter of the story line and concept as seen in my earlier post having mentioned about the comic, narration and original video footage (which follows some of the comic book story) some footage is used here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dMZcXJGWeI . I do hope the name is a working progress but can not blame Merlin if they stick with it and use the suggestive link. But they have now created a tough situation for themselves because they know if it is not up to scratch not just as a ride now but as a complete story and theme package that the coaster community will not forgive and will probably be very vocal of there opinion to Merlin unlike past mistakes forgiven (13 Marketing).

Like I said in my first post in this topic, for Merlin to fail on the theme / story of this ride would be no excuse considering the amount of media and backstory available plus having the genius behind the original back on board.

I am quietly confident that this ride should live up to expectation, lets just hope the marketing people and creative geniuses are together on this one, and its not a stunt to pull everyone in.. Time will tell..

So excited
AstroDan

Bring on attention for one of the greatest coasters ever built, I say!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
fredward

I don't understand about "raping the nemesis brand" firstly Nemesis Inferno didn't rape the brand, it simply used the word Nemesis, for no apparent reason. Apart from the word Nemesis, it has nothing to do with our beloved Nemesis.

Even if you do believe that NI "raped" the brand. This is a dark ride, I can't see how it'll ruin Nemesis reputation in the slightest. Even if it has a cheesy ending where the Nemesis monster decides to marry a fairytale princess. It's not going to affect the Nemesis experience in the slightest.
Benjsh

[quote=""fredward""]You are complaining it's going to be a glorified extremis ride. OK. In that point of view all dark rides are glorified granny scooters! :P and Hex is a glorified haunted swing. Dark rides are about atmosphere and set pieces. If done well this glorified Extremis ride will still be great fun.

So you are complaining that the queues for Nemesis are going to be huge next year and complaining that the queues in X-Sector are going to be small.... Surely you are just complaining for the sake of complaining since the two statements contradict each other...

Stop being so cynical and pessimistic. It's fine pointing out flaws in concepts, but if that's all you ever point out your life will be a very very depressing place.[/quote]

I'm not COMPLAINING about any of those points, I'm merely having an opinion.

I was trying to make the point that X Sector seems a bit neglected proved by the fact you can literally walk on any of the rides there, including Oblivion. With a new attraction coming to FV.....I fear this being more apparent next year.

And where are the people going to go after the new ride? Nemesis of course. I think my point was a fair one.
BigAl

I hope that next year X-Sector gets a freshen-up that those posters in MB hinted at. Perhaps some form of entertainment in there next year or the year after until a ride can make it its new home a year or two after SW7.