2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
wburgess

I would love to think that Alton would put articles up like that just to tease the likes of us! That would be very impressive planning indeed... but in reality, who knows!

Have they done anything like this before, targeted just at enthusiasts hinting of future plans?
gazag

could we be seening another attraction as epically brilliant as pirate adventure?
sixstringhotshot88

ahh this is exciting.

Does anyone know if the budget will be specified in the planning documents?
mrbrightside

The lava lump site does seem ideal for a new construction - especially as the Water Zorbs / Climbing Wall are at the end of the contract apparently (Though I'm not sure how true this is).

However, we will all just be disappointed when they inevitably don't touch the BH tent. Also, I noticed the planning application says "Insufficient Fee" on it - surely Alton know how much to pay for a planning application? It will be interesting to see how this develops, including dates for decisions and such - and whether they will allow the general public to send letters of positivity to it - if so, maybe a well worded letter from a TTF admin, signed by all the members of the forum would help the project (whatever it will be) get green-lit.
ImageImage
Tom G

Thank you Maelstrom for bringing this to everyone's attention! I check the applications occasionally but probably wouldn't have noticed this myself for at least another few days!
RubberDinghyRapids

Discussion of this "Insufficient Fee" is rather silly. Once AT attach more (or final) documents/plans to the application that is when they'll pay the fee.
BigAl

It's not silly. It's there so it's relevant. Just Sayin'. :)

How big could a dark flat be on the old dynamo site by the way?
Tom G

While I have heard a rumour that the Black Hole tent is earmarked for an entertainment complex (or some other non-ride phrase), I think it's more likely to be going in there than anywhere else?
Adam

This planning application will be regarding EITHER The Flume site, Old Dynamo site flat or they are planning to construct a brand new building to house next years 4D Cinema.

Either way, it's exciting to see what comes of this! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Coasteraddict

[quote=""BigAl""]It's not silly. It's there so it's relevant. Just Sayin'. :)

How big could a dark flat be on the old dynamo site by the way?[/quote]

No bigger than 20m*20m which makes this more confusing.

But YAY DARK RIDE! We need more of 'em
moog666

I was under the impression that insdide the BH tent didnt require planning permission. So can we rule it out?

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
captain

No - it's only if they don't change the BH tent that it doesn't require permission. As far as I know, if they alter it, or create a building on the same site that's bigger, then they would need planning permission. So I think it could still be there.

I hope it's better than a 4D cinema.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Big C

Surely insufficient fee means alton are not entirely sure themselves on what the new addition would be?

Caught between 2 minds (or more) on the new attraction as they say?

Dyanmo site. :D
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
Blaze

They still have to go through the planning process, they can't just go and build a ride without consulting the council first, and it still ahs to pass all the regulations, but providing it passes all of them, the ride will be passed.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if this just turned out to be the 4D cinema being resubmitted? :P

I'd have thought a substantial new dark ride would have needed permission a while ago, so it makes sense to be in the tent. And it could still potentially be a coaster.

By the way, insuficient fee means nothing at the moment. The full application is not online yet, so Alton have not payed the full amount. When the documents and such are up, the fee will be payed.
themealgang

Exciting- just hoping this isn't some cheap 4D cinema that has been purchased as a "filler" attraction; the big guns come out next year. As they have requested planning permission, it suggests that it will be something a little bit more than that, and the BH tent might not be the choice of location for the new attraction; which seems weird if they want it to be enclosed.

I think it's refreshing though to see a brand new dark ride built anyway. The next 2 years are going to be amazing for the park in my opinion...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
RubberDinghyRapids

[quote=""Big C""]Surely insufficient fee means alton are not entirely sure themselves on what the new addition would be?

Caught between 2 minds (or more) on the new attraction as they say?

Dyanmo site. :D[/quote]

Not at all. They'll know exactly what they're going to develop before submitting a planning permission. Once they have submitted the documents, you should see the fee paid.
mrbrightside

Now someone has mentioned the 4D, I really hope it's not just that :/
ImageImage
BigAl

If it does go where Dynamo used to be then there's a stretch of grass along side the Monorail below that site that could be used as a queue if the dark ride and housing needs to be bigger. They could cut a few trees down above this site too as they're all very small and could easily be replanted (if need be) when the ride is removed from the park. But that is if it's to go there and as of yet we don't know.

As for a 4D Cinema... [-(

...unless there's going to be more than one addition next year?
Tom G

I find it highly unlikely they'd refer to a 4D cinema as a ride.
BigAl

Well they refer to Th13teen as being a "psychoaster" so nothing would surprise me. :P