2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Benzin

[quote=""sibic""]looks like a retheam of merry old England is the big thing for 2012 have a look on face book[/quote]

2007 called... It wants it's news back...
Tom N

The black hole is still in the tent, actually. It was closed due to not having a safety walkway around the edge of the ride, and because the ride took all of the space in the tent, there was no room for the walkway, so it was closed due to health and safety regulations.
~Thomas N - Apple Developer
Magrathea

I don't think we'll be seeing another TopScan in a Merlin park for a while, I imagine the company will have seen what being at Chessie and Thorpe did to Samurai, and they're hardly going to jump at the chance of destroying another one...

[quote=""Tom N""]The black hole is still in the tent, actually. It was closed due to not having a safety walkway around the edge of the ride, and because the ride took all of the space in the tent, there was no room for the walkway, so it was closed due to health and safety regulations.[/quote]

Au contraire, Black Hole has since been sold to another park and has reopened as an outdoor coaster somewhere abroad. The tent is almost certainly being used for Boiler House and Carnival Of Screams this year :).
captain

You get a thanks for using au contraire in a post! :D

[s:1xt5ab4q]Black Hole[/s:1xt5ab4q] Rocket:

I have absolutely no idea what a 2012 attraction will be (if anything...), but surely a kiddie coaster or flat must be in the running.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
BigAl

The Black Hole cleaned up nicely. I have to admit that looks pretty stunning!

I think Alton said in their plan that this year we were supposed to see a small investment for children and then next year a larger investment on a bigger attraction before 2013's SW7. I'll go with something on the Beastie site to tidy that area back up, a retheme or goodbye to the Flume and something done with the Black Hole tent. If not then at least the rumoured X-Sector clean-up. I think getting all of that (taking into consideration the hash they've made of 2011) wouldn't be asking that much of Merlin, surely? Decent kiddie coasters are fairly cheap and a retheme to the Flume won't exactly break the bank either. A new larger attraction in the Black Hole tent would follow their plans and it is their duty to look after X-Sector so price of fixing it up shouldn't come into it (unless we're talking about many tens of thousands to get it back up to scratch, which it shouldn't).
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""BigAl""]The Black Hole cleaned up nicely. I have to admit that looks pretty stunning!

I think Alton said in their plan that this year we were supposed to see a small investment for children and then next year a larger investment on a bigger attraction before 2013's SW7. I'll go with something on the Beastie site to tidy that area back up, a retheme or goodbye to the Flume and something done with the Black Hole tent. If not then at least the rumoured X-Sector clean-up. I think getting all of that (taking into consideration the hash they've made of 2011) wouldn't be asking that much of Merlin, surely? Decent kiddie coasters are fairly cheap and a retheme to the Flume won't exactly break the bank either. A new larger attraction in the Black Hole tent would follow their plans and it is their duty to look after X-Sector so price of fixing it up shouldn't come into it (unless we're talking about many tens of thousands to get it back up to scratch, which it shouldn't).[/quote]

To be honest, after a year of zero investment I would expect something fairly substancial next year.

:)
BigAl

So that's why everything on the list I just wrote out MUST be done for us... to the very highest standard! :P
Maelstrom

Not seen this anywhere yet but a full planning application was submitted on the 20th August for

"CONSTRUCTION OF NEW INDOOR RIDE AT ALTON TOWERS RESORT AND ASSOCIATED HARD/SOFT LANDSCAPING WORKS"

Application can be seen below, no doccuments attached yet so you cant see any of the plans just yet-

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... TY&module=
captain

Maelstrom you absolute hero. Thank you. Black Hole tent?
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
BigAl

OMG YAAAAAAAAAY :mrgreen:

Black Hole tent please! [-o<
Maelstrom

With it needing planning permission i would assume a new building is required, i think it could possibly involve the old dynamo area and maybe some kind of preshow (like hex) and then finish with somekind of indoor flat ride. Could be completly wrong as so many posibilities.
wburgess

Bloody good spot!

Mind you the status for the application is "Insufficient Fee"... silly Alton not paying enough for a planning application!

This is exciting news however... it's about time the Black Hole tent got some TLC
adsyrah

How exciting!

I'm going to go out on a limb here... I think it'll be an indoor flume. Something like Valhalla. I'm basing it on the last paragraph from one of the Mutiny Bay newsletter articles:
Heave Ho adopted as local area chant

The words 'Heave Ho' can be heard for miles around the Mutiny Bay as scores of Black's
reinforcements haul massive boxes of wood and metal from Black's Galleon.

According to witnesses of another great Black victory, he may be turning the wrecks of
ships lost in battle into an amusement ride to entertain his marauders during their
downtime.
AstroDan

From TT News:
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have this week received a planning application from Alton Towers Resort Operations for a new ride, which is presumably designed to be the main new attraction for the 2012 theme park season.

The application, which does not have planning documents attached yet, is for the 'construction of new indoor ride at Alton Towers Resort and associated hard/soft landscaping works'. This would therefore suggest that the park are looking at some form of dark ride for the 2012 season, although the exact nature of this is unknown. There have been rumours in recent weeks of developments in the Forbidden Valley area of the park, but these are currently unsubstantiated.

An indoor ride for 2012 would be the first totally new dark ride experience at Alton Towers since Hex in 2000. Both Duel and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were re-themes to existing attractions.
wburgess

If you could get fuel for cars that was as powerful as that poster has been typing fuel for coaster enthusiasts.. then the worlds environmental problems would be solved...

...surely everyone is reading into the articles a wee bit too much...

Something like the size of Valhalla or even on a smaller scale would need planning applied for a lot earlier than this for next year. I think!
AstroDan

I believe this completely ratifies the recent rumours of a dark ride experience on the Lava Lump site in Forbidden Valley. Exactly what the ride is remains unknown, but it is obviously going to be fairly compact.

:)
Jordan

I'm pretty sure that those articles were put out there by a certain person in Marketing to create a bit of excitement and stir some discussion about SW7. When I posted the picture, I never expected that the reaction would be as big as it has been! All the rumours I've heard have been completely contrary to what the article suggests, but hey, maybe I'll be proved wrong.

I'd love to see some sort of themed indoor story-based flat ride built, and I think we could expect something along the lines of Extremis at The Dungeons. I don't necessarily think it would be a small drop tower, but I like the concept of enhancing what is a relatively small attraction on paper to make it feel much more intimidating than what it really is through darkness, theming and effects.
adsyrah

[quote=""wburgess""]If you could get fuel for cars that was as powerful as that poster has been typing fuel for coaster enthusiasts.. then the worlds environmental problems would be solved...

...surely everyone is reading into the articles a wee bit too much...

Something like the size of Valhalla or even on a smaller scale would need planning applied for a lot earlier than this for next year. I think![/quote]

Killjoy! At the moment it's the only real fuel we have :)

Valhalla knocks the socks off any flume ride in the UK, so that's the bar that's been set for a replacement flume at AT. I live in hope!
Joel

I believe in all of these Mutiny Bay newsletters too much, it would be a massive distraction for us if Towers were completely faking it, or some kind of very clever hinting as to what's coming next.

Either way we're being played with, but I'm game for it. A new indoor water type ride on the Flume site? Why not!
BigAl

Hmm "insufficient fee" for Alton's 2012 attraction planning application... something smells fishy! :?

:P

They really aren't that stupid... are they? It's not like they haven't done this before. :roll: