2012: Nemesis - What Lies Beneath - Part 1

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
sku11dude123

Click me!!

Just in case the other one didn't work
Last edited by sku11dude123 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djtruefitt

If you view where the image is posted its on Towers Nerd and says the following:
"We thought we'd add to that speculation by presenting an artist impression of the kind of thing we'd love to come to Forbidden Valley. Our very own John Burton has produced the following graphic, a concept for a ride named 'Nemesis Encounter'"

Which basicly mean that a fansite has created this image.
altontowerskid

Haha :D Love the image, not official but done a good job and IF this ride does end up being an "Extremis" style ride then i don't think that would be far off :)
mcivkev

What about this, works for the ride soarin at Disney and its a fantastic ride. Queues are long tho.

http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=57
FDS Website & Media Design
altontowerskid

[quote=""mcivkev""]What about this, works for the ride soarin at Disney and its a fantastic ride. Queues are long tho.

http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=57[/quote]

Has already been discussed, would be a brilliant idea but the Towers wouldn't have the budget to make a good enough video to go with the ride - therefore the whole thing would be tacky. I really would hope for something more 'high thrill' too :)
mcivkev

Merlin made a fantastic 4D film for their new Blackpool Tower Eye attraction and i dont think it was too expensive. Soarin is fantastic bt queues are stupidly long. But i bet we have all mentioned what it will be, lets hope its something we are not expecting. But i am thinking it will be a kind of stop gap (not too big etc) what with SW7 coming in 2013.
mcivkev

Soarin at Disney cost $3.5million (£1.9million). I am sure the towers could afford this. It would be a fantastic park to have such an attraction and they could make a briliant film based on the UK.
AdamPanic

Something about that picture of Nemesis Encounter reminds me of Energizer.
Maybe a standup version with wall sized screens?
Maelstrom

Sourin cost alot more than $3.5m to build ,the film may have cost that much but including the ride system it was close to $100m including all the reaserch and R&D when they were devloping the attraction, the version at Disney world will have alot less but still around $30m+, yes there are now cheaper alternatives but Alton would need to spend close to a SW sized budget on a similar attraction.
mcivkev

[quote=""Maelstrom""]Sourin cost alot more than $3.5m to build ,the film may have cost that much but including the ride system it was close to $100m including all the reaserch and R&D when they were devloping the attraction, the version at Disney world will have alot less but still around $30m+, yes there are now cheaper alternatives but Alton would need to spend close to a SW sized budget on a similar attraction.[/quote]

Well my info came from the source below.

http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much ... -soarin%27

So only going on the info found.
altontowerskid

$3.5m is not even what Disney would have spent queue line theming for Soarin, let alone the whole build cost. Soarin was a huge investment for Disney and one that i would be very shocked if the Towers could pull off. It would be great to think so, but it would be very doubtful, especially during a year which is meant to be a medium investment. Anyway, we won't have to wait long until we'll have enough clues to go on for the ride! :)
mcivkev

I will soon know how much it cost as i have contacts at WDW who is emailing me over all the details facts etc.
haydn!

Did Soarin open at the same time as California Adventure?

Disney were criticised quite a lot when California Adventure opened as it was done very much 'on the cheap' by Disney standards. The budget for the entire project was just $600m so it's unlikely Soarin cost $100m, though at the same time I would say $3.5m is an unrealistic sum also! I'd place the cost around the $35million mark.

Either way, it's extremely unlikely we'll see anything to that standard at Alton Towers.
AshleeK

[quote=""haydn!""]Did Soarin open at the same time as California Adventure?[/quote]

Yes.
James6

Also, not going to lie, I thought Soarin was pretty poor for Disney Standards.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
altontowerskid

[quote=""James6""]Also, not going to lie, I thought Soarin was pretty poor for Disney Standards.[/quote]

I agree, Disney can do much better! I honestly still don't think that the Towers could pull it off though, i'm just really hoping whatever ride does go in there, that it packs a punch. Would be nice to have a really thrilling dark ride, something they do lack.
mcivkev

[quote="haydn!"]Did Soarin open at the same time as California Adventure?

Soarin' Over California Disney California Adventure. It debuted with the park on February 8, 2001. The same attraction opened on May 5, 2005 at Epcot in Florida, as Soarin'. However the Florida version was built differently and ride system was designed by one of their own. Mark Sumner developed a different idea for the ride vehicles, using an Mechano Set and string to create a working model. This design would allow Disney to efficiently load guests on one level instead of three, thus cutting construction and labour costs greatly.

The California build had a budget of $600 million but Florida was way way way less than this. The building for Soarin was already there and was already in The Land Pavillion in Future World, with the ride entrance accessible through the former Food Rocks attraction. The building itself is shaped like a huge, truncated hangar, simillar to what you might find at a medium sized municipal airfield, it is not built the same as a normal building but he same as a Airport hanger, So no expense spared.

The interior is also reminiscent of a municipal airfield, with chain link fencing in places. There is no seperate pre-show to speak of. However, when you are ready to load up into your moving theater, you are treated to a short safety spiel type video on an overhead monitor.
Last edited by mcivkev on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

Let's try and keep to the topic at hand, rather than discussing Soarin' at WDW/DLR.

:D
Evostance

I take it you've all figured out where the ride will go? Don't fancy trawling through pages of rubbish about Soarin'

If not, its going here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alton+t ... =0.06&z=19

The total height of the inside will be 11m.
Total height of the main building is 5m with a 6m deep basement:
Below ground, the proposed building will be built down to
approximately 6m to create a new basement area
http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... d%20(30684).pdf
haydn!

There is one page of comments about Soarin' and it's hardly irrelevant. It was suggested a similar attraction could be house within the building (the location and dimensions of said building were revealed some twenty pages ago...) and the follow on discussion centred (with little deviation) on whether an attraction of that level was within Alton Towers financial reach.

How boring is this speculation and discussion going to be if you cannot draw comparisons or suggestions from existing attractions that could potentially be replicated here?