Future Of Hex

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JoshM

So I was looking through the new Mack website and I when I was lucking at their Mad Houses an idea came to me ... lets improve Hex and make it 4D.

The first room will be just the same. In the second they should get all the effects working again. In the vault is where all the 4D is added.

They could have small air blowers on each bench so when you sit down you get a cold bit of air blowing at you're neck. They could also add air cannons under the benches so they shoot air at you're feet. Maybe some water could fall from the roof when the branch sets on fire.

Now, I love Hex how it is but I think making it 4D and not changing the story line would improve the ride. So what do you think?
Mankey

I can see what you're saying, but quite simply, from my opinion that is...

... No, I'm absolutely SICK of this 3D/4D fad. It's nice every now and again, but for some odd reason everyone wants to implement 3D/4D stuff into EVERYTHING and it's just getting tiresome now. In small doses 3D stuff can feel unique and fresh, but the amount it's being used now it's almost predictable.

People seem to try so hard to get 3D/4D things that they forget something better is there... Reality. Nothing can get more real and exciting than the real thing! :D

Anyway that's my 2 cents! haha! Not having a go at you young sir, but it's an issue which has been grinding away at my skin for the past 5 years! :lol:

Also, whilst there are a lot of Mack mad houses, Hex is not one. Hex is a Vekoma mad house.
Back from hibernation!
JoshM

Yes, I know Hex is a Vekoma. The only reason I added the Mack Madhouses was because on their site they mentioned 4D Madhouses.

I'm OK with 4D rides and attractions if their original and the park came up with the story. But if they do something 4D about an IP I bloomin hate it.
[Archive]

Sorry for giving you a bad rep! :oops:

But I really hate hate hate stupid "-D" gimmicks. Ooh, this television is 3D! This film is 4D! This ride is 5D! When will it stop? We already live in a real world where we can use our senses to detect the atmosphere, we don't need to wear plastic glasses to enhance anything!

This is not a rant at you, JoshMillward, I just dislike 3D gimmicks quite heavily. :D Everybody was going on about it before Thirteen opened as well, and I think what we ended up with in the crypt sounds better than all those 3D rumours! :P

I think if you study Hex and interperet its meaning, then you can start to build upon it. It is, however, a near perfect ride as it is. It would therefore extremely tricky for the designers to not mess something up in the process of altering it. That is why rides are not usually changed once they have reached a "classic" status.
JoshM

Don't worry about the rep :)

But I can see where you're coming from. It was just an idea that popped into my head and I never really gave it much thought before posting it on here.
Themeparksandy1981

I think the only thing they could do with Hex is in the video room update it to HD. You cant do anything with the attraction as it would change the story altogether.
Blaze

Didn't the Octagon have water at one point?

Anyway, I agree with what has been said eariler. Hex is pot on as it is, it doesn't need anything doing, anything they did to it would ruin it. Including making the video HD, I actually like it being pretty poor quality, it makes it feel older annd more authentic.
seanyboyuk

Theres no need do anything with hex. 4D cinemas dont appeal to me i find them boring. Unless we see a spiderman type ride at AT i am against one coming.

I am almost certain that Hex's time will come and something else will go in there someday. The only problem with Hex is its inconsistansy of effects working and not working. They need to be working almost all year round to give a good ride experience. Ive been on it at times where you miss all the rooms and it doesnt just feel the same.
[Archive]

Didn't the Octagon have water at one point?
I felt water effects for the first time last year. I rode Hex twice and both times there was a sudden sprinkle from above just before the genorator came back on.
Cheese

Mack saying they can add "4D effects" to their "Revolving House"/madhouse is a poor choice of wording. They're not on about 3D effects like we usually see supplemented by a bit of vibration and wetness in 4D cinemas*, so with no disrespect meant to those of you understandably voicing frustration at the current 3D/4D trend, put the polarising glasses down now :) .

They're just referring to air blasts, water jets and those downright odd-sounding butt rollers on Kassandra's Curse (mentioned by Nightfall in his Europa trip report). I'd be completely against any proposals of adding this sort of stuff to the Earl's secret vault. If Hex had been a Mack creation and it had all been fitted to start with, I'd probably never question whether it was necessary, but I feel the illusion, soundtrack and lighting effects in there are spectacular enough as they are.

In fact, I hate the thought of any changes being made to Hex in the future because I don't see the need for any. Even my least favourite thing about the ride, the frankly rubbish effects in the Octagon, manage somehow to be suitably dramatic. I don't think I'd dare attempt to upgrade them, because my concern is that any attempts at replacing them might be far superior technically but detrimental to the ride's atmosphere. I'd be interested in seeing the UV-lit hag in the window return though.

Long live Hex the way it is now, and mark my words Merlin, if you ever change the music or remove the Smugshot from the first pre-show, there WILL be trouble :twisted: .

* Come to think of it, 4D is probably a misnomer for so-called 4D cinemas too, as it seems charitable to call the aforementioned vibration and nastily hard to anticipate water jets an 'extra dimension'. That said, the only 4D film I've experienced is Time Voyagers, which probably says a lot about my current opinion of these pseudo-rides.
Michaél

This is an interesting idea, although I think Hex is fairly outstanding even with the lack of 4D effects so I can't really see the need for them.

Kasandra's Curse at Oyropa as an example does have 4D effects and it does indeed add another aspect to the revolving house concept, it's not at all gimmicky, in fact some of the effects come as a bit of a shock... even if the ride is a little aged.

If Alton were to add 4D effects, it would mean lots of money and to be honest I don't think Alton Towers are prepared to spend lots of money on dark rides... any more. ;) It would require a brand new seating set up, which would have to be custom design from Vekoma. Unless of course, they manage to get it dirt cheap to showcase it for Vekoma... ala Efteling.

However, I think Hex is effective enough as it is and I don't think there is much need for further effects. Hex is a very well thought out ride and the theming is by far the best in the resort, every rider I see go off the ride looks amazed and when they stop looking amazed; that's probably the time for a re-think.

Leave Hexy alone! :P
Rowe

Hex needn't be changed in any way right now, the ride and theming is fine as it is. Perhaps a few touches of TLC here and there in the vault but nothing distinctly different. The -D concept already I'm against because it's just something from film that's evolved to just make money, and that's not what Hex is doing, which is only amazing visitors of the GP with it's unique-ness to anything else on park.

All I'm hoping for with the future of Hex is that when the ride is removed from the Towers, the wonderful life it had won't be forgotten. Or rather, hoping the ride stays with the Towers for several years to come because it really does a handy job of spooking the guests as well as us (regardless of how many times we've been on it).
moog666

Just full restoration to full operation is all this ride needs.

If you must make jokes about Steve Jobs, Try to keep them PC.
ShadowTD

• Fix the bass in the vault
  • Bring back the water spray in the Octagon (haven't felt it this year - 20+ rides)
  • Update the dials on the vault machine
The last one is the only thing that breaks the fourth wall on the ride for me - the painted on readouts. One of them on the far right has been snapped in half for about 4 years. How amazing would it be if there were actual brass dials on this panel that moved in time with the sequence? One of the things I remember loving from BTTF: The Ride was seeing the DeLorean's speed and rev counter move accurately with the simulation.

Will Never Happen, but there you go. ;)