The Next Major Coaster To Depart

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which coaster is next to depart?

Poll runs till Fri Aug 11, 2051 6:29 am

Oblivion
18%
Nemisis
4%
Air
6%
Rita
67%
TH13TEEN
6%

Total votes: 102
Big C

So,
Which major coaster do you think will leave us for scrap or go to another park?

I haven't included Spinball as that is said to be moved/demolished on the MTDP and RMT as it is getting old. Thats the one most people will of chosen, i think.

I voted for Oblivion as i think the X - Sector in the near future will be demolished back down to its bare bones so they have a chance to think of a new area/ride etc.

But thats just me...

Thoughts?
Last edited by Big C on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
fredward

I don't think any of them are going for a very long time, but if it was any of them, i'd expect Rita to go before any of the others, partly because it's the only one that isn't a SW, and secondly it was a cheap addition added to the park.

On a slightly unrelated point this is in my opinion a very depressing topic :lol:
Voke

None of them will be going any time soon, they all have at least 10 years in them and they will build new Coasters on the existing land that they have, Coaster Corner, The Valley etc.
James

It's Oblivion and Nemesis, ride names spelt wrong in poll. :P

All the rides have got years and years ahead of them, Alton have still got a lot of "virgin land" so space shouldn't be a problem for years. My money would be on Rita going first though, only because it's a monstrosity, it ruined UG Land and I still think it's an eyesore in Dark Forest. Otherwise it'll be *gulp* Nemesis or Oblivion, but we are very far away before any removals of the big rides becomes a reality.

Also, TH13teen in the poll, it hasn't even been open for a year! :P
Pennywise

I would say that the big 5 will depart in this order:

Rita >> Oblivion >> Th13teen >> Air >> Nemesis

:)
DiogoJ42

I don't even want to think about this, to be honest. But not counting Spinball, it'll probably be Rita.
[Archive]

I would say the order will be like as follows. I do think, however, that it will be a good ten years before we will be saying goodbye to any of them, and then another 20 until there are few left.

>> Rita (will eventually lose its purpose in life and get replaced);
>> Oblivion (the concept of the drop will wear out and the ride with it);
>> Th13teen (does not sound as if it has the same life span as the others);
>> Nemesis (it will get tired eventually and perhaps its pit will get the better of it);
>> Air (the last one to go probably, because of its long life span).
Voke

Why do people think Rita will be going first, it usually always has one of the longest queue's if not the longest of all of the rides in the poll, even TH13TEEN at times. And it's been like that since launch, with or without TH13TEEN.
[Archive]

Queues have very little to do with the life span of a ride.
Voke

[quote=""electricBlll""]Queues have very little to do with the life span of a ride.[/quote]

But if the public love, and continue to ride it, then why would they need to get rid of it, people love the idea of a lauched coaster. It barely ever has technical difficulties and the technology is hardly far-fetched, it's hard to consider what The Dark Forest would be like without it.
Big C

^^Queues do have an impact. Say if a major investment got no queue then a removal and replacement would be on the cards would it not?
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
Voke

[quote=""numb3r1towersfan""]^^Queues do have an impact. Say if a major investment got no queue then a removal and replacement would be on the cards would it not?[/quote]

Exacely my point, this why Nemesis has lasted so long, becasue it rake's in the queue's and people including me, love it!
[Archive]

I find it very easy to imagine Dark Forest without it:

Empty space.

Perfect for building from scratch, with the slight obstacle of Thirteen to one side and the Skyride above. Rita was only a quick fix to bring in more guests, and was probably never meant to last that long anyway.

Remember, the ride is only 5 years old and there are minimal launched coasters of its type in the UK at the moment. I am talking about ten or more years in the future, when the situation will be very different. Rita, out of the big five, is in my opinion therefore likely to be the first to fall. Its popularity will decrease, and it will probably be the least missed coaster of the five anyway.

Say if a major investment got no queue then a removal and replacement would be on the cards would it not?
Well, no, not really. If that was the case, then the marketing depo has pretty much failed catastrophically. I have never heard of a new ride that gets no queue upon opening.
Exacely my point, this why Nemesis has lasted so long.
No, not at all. Nemesis has not "lasted this long" because it has long queues. It has lasted this long because that type of rollercoaster is built to last this long, and Nemesis is a near perfect coaster anyway and therefore is going to be sorely missed if it does go. It is also built in a quarry, making it very hard to get rid of.

Anyway, it does have very short queues nowadays compared to the lengths it used to have at time of opening. So, its queues have dwindled, although they still get very long on busy days. That does not affect its life span in any way.
Last edited by [Archive] on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

[quote=""numb3r1towersfan""]^^Queues do have an impact. Say if a major investment got no queue then a removal and replacement would be on the cards would it not?[/quote]

You can't just base a rides popularity on how long the queue is though. There's a lot of things to take into consideration: What time of the year is it? Is it the school holidays? What day of the week is it? All attractions will get queues at Alton, however big or small they are.

Queues have a certain impact, but other areas will also be looked at such as if popularity of a ride/attraction has decreased/increased over the years, if it appeals to guests still.

It's not just about the guest either. How safe is the ride? Can Alton afford to maintain a certain ride for much longer? How much does the ride cost to run? Has the ride lost it's magic? Could the area that the ride is in be used for a better and bigger attraction? When removing a ride, it will come down to a lot, and is most likely something Alton look at every angle.

Rides such as Nemesis are still there as it is one of the most popular rides with guests, Alton can still afford to maintain [s:1lgkyra3]it[/s:1lgkyra3] the beast, the ride is smooth and safe and is a world renowned ride.
Voke

Okay I get your point, but I'm talking about the rides lifespan from the public's point of view. Not how it's constructed. I agree with your point about Rita, the launch may wear out withen a good 10 years, when more concepts for future attractions have been made. If it wasn't for the launch, the queue-line would be pretty much vacant, it's an average coaster really.
Pennywise

I'd also like to add that the reason Rita gets long queues is more due to a low capacity then it being more popular than the rest of the Big 5.

Throughputs of the Big 5:
Air - 1500 pph (Running 2 stations/3 trains, probably slightly less due to frequent breakdowns)
Nemesis - 1400pph (Running 2 trains)
Oblivion - 1900pph (Running 6 shuttles)
Rita - 800pph (Running 2 Trains)
Th13teen - 1500pph (Running 3 Trains)

;)
Blaze

I hate topics like this...anyway, I'd guess Rita, it's the least substantial, was a cheap, quick fix that doesn't really fit, and in my experience is the least reliable of the major coasters.

But none of them will be going for at least 10 years.
Vik

Rita may of been cheap and a quick fix, but it is still popular amongst visitors, scoring quite highly in surveys. It often commands a good size queue as well, even with a brand new, marketed to the hilt, ultimate coaster right next to it. For example, on Sunday, Rita had a 50 minute queue, where as, at the same time, Th13teen was less than 5 minutes wait. Lower capacity on Rita alone would no explain such a huge difference in queue times.

On Throughputs, Rita is around 1000, they have got more when staff really push it. Th13teen can get 1400 easily, Air, though in theory can get 1500, I am led to believe it is more like 1200, even on 3 trains.

As for what will go first. It is difficult to say. All of them have a long life ahead of them. Despite the rumours that crop up every year, Nemesis has got a long time to go yet. Whilst Rita is still popular, that won't be going anywhere for a long while. I have grave doubts about the longevity of Th13teen, and imagine that in 10 years time it will be another 'Corkscrew' (I.E, one that never really gets a queue, but is worth a ride just for the sake of it. But theres no doubt it will still be around in 20 years time.

Though it is not in the poll, I would suggest Spinball. Even if it does move to any new entertainments area as per 10 year development plan, it will still look temporary, and has awful throughputs, especially on wet weather operation. Even though, I would still expect this to still be around for up to at least 10 years from now, though only if it does get moved to a new area. If not, then maybe less time than that.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

dominoes

i said oblivion, but possibly nemisis because it is sooo old, even if it is really good
seanyboyuk

No way any of them will go for at least another 10 years. Nemesis is the oldie out of them but even that would cause riots if it was to be removed. The park would have to think very well to remove it with a replacement and i think they would be silly for it to go.