The Next Major Coaster To Depart

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.

Which coaster is next to depart?

Poll runs till Fri Aug 11, 2051 6:29 am

Oblivion
18%
Nemisis
4%
Air
6%
Rita
67%
TH13TEEN
6%

Total votes: 102
Blaze

Is it old? It's only in it's 16 season, when you consider Corkscrew, an off-the-shelf, cheap ride designed for travel and small parks lasted 28 years, and could have lasted longer, Nemesis, an extremely compicated, expensive and brilliant ride designed to last, will be around for a lot longer than 30 years. It's barely reaching middle-age.
Themeparksandy1981

launched coasters are still been built all around the world and its taken this long for Orlando to build hopefully 1 next year with Busch Gardens as well. I can see them giving Rita another upgrade soon to make it even quicker.
Nemesis is still in the top 10 coasters in the world so that wont be going to after its 30th birthday at least.
Oblivion was a world first coaster and so was Air and 13 can be re themed in the indoor section to keep it fresh.
All of them still get good queues but out of all 5 of them I think Oblivion will go next unless they update it.
[Archive]

I can see them giving Rita another upgrade soon to make it even quicker.
Things like this do not happen to coasters, though. It is pretty much a myth. I assume you are thinking about when Stealth got "upgraded" to go faster, but that turned out to be a marketing ploy. Instead of making the train launch faster, they simply changed the way they measured the acceleration.
Slappy McGuire

I don't think any ride will be going anyware anytime soon, unless maybe swapped with another park's ride, but wouldn't be surprised to see a ride revamp as part of a future strategy; imagine a corkscrew in Rita, or a loop and extra track added to Oblivion, as an example. Air and Nemmie are both considered just about right, whereas 13 I suspect will be tweaked, but never massively overhauled.
Blaze

[quote=""Slappy McGuire""]Imagine a corkscrew in Rita, or a loop and extra track added to Oblivion, as an example.[/quote]
I hope you are being sarcastic.
Trixz

In an ideal world i would want it to be thirteen as i prefer all the others over thirteen but that aint going to happen sadly
WE ARE ALL WITNESSESS
TB2

[quote=""Blaze""]Is it old? It's only in it's 16 season, when you consider Corkscrew, an off-the-shelf, cheap ride designed for travel and small parks lasted 28 years, and could have lasted longer, Nemesis, an extremely compicated, expensive and brilliant ride designed to last, will be around for a lot longer than 30 years. It's barely reaching middle-age.[/quote]

To add to that, a B&M rollercoaster has yet to be removed or "destroyed" from old age. So whilst they may say their rides have 30 year life spans, there is no reason at all that Nemesis can't go on and on. As long as Alton maintain it well, and lets be honest they have done a cracking job with it.

I'll say Rita. I know it does well with audiences and on score surveys. However to me, it just doesn't look that permanent to me. Whilst it would take a lot of effort to replace Air, Nemesis or Oblivion, Rita could easily go..

This is all conjecture though, realistically, the big 5 could go on for years and years.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Blaze

I don't see how Rita looks temporary, it's not like it's an old Swarzty built on metal beams, it has big thick supports set in concrete, and has quite a lot of accompanying infrastructure, and cost a lot of money, so it is in no way temporary.
James

[quote=""TB2""]I'll say Rita. I know it does well with audiences and on score surveys. However to me, it just doesn't look that permanent to me. Whilst it would take a lot of effort to replace Air, Nemesis or Oblivion, Rita could easily go..
[/quote]

Rita's very popular with the general public, and rates high on the customer surveys.

While it was plonked in UG Land, since Corky has been removed and Th13teen is now there Rita looks more embedded into the area I looks more like it's a part of the Dark Forest. I can't see Rita and that queue going any where for a good while.
CoasterCrazyChris

^Personally I disagree.

It still stands out like a sore thumb and what's worse although it sort of fits in it has virtually no theming and most importantly it has no identity or real brand like the other rides.

:)
Slappy McGuire

^ how much of it standing out like a sore thumb do ttf'ers is down to its interminably silly name? I'd argue if it had a suitable name for the area, like 'sinister' or something, it would be more accepted.

Personally I think it fits far better now, but lacks a proper theme.
Blaze

It fits better now, but the way it cuts through the area means it will never fully fit in, and the way it goes over Thirteen's queue ruins the feel the queue is trying to create. The fact the theme is slightly confused doesn't help either, but at least it's better than it was. If it wasn't for the "You must escape!" voiceover, the theme would be really good.
TB2

[quote=""James""][quote=""TB2""]I'll say Rita. I know it does well with audiences and on score surveys. However to me, it just doesn't look that permanent to me. Whilst it would take a lot of effort to replace Air, Nemesis or Oblivion, Rita could easily go..
[/quote]

Rita's very popular with the general public, and rates high on the customer surveys.

While it was plonked in UG Land, since Corky has been removed and Th13teen is now there Rita looks more embedded into the area I looks more like it's a part of the Dark Forest. I can't see Rita and that queue going any where for a good while.[/quote]

Heh why did you quote my post and say basically the same thing that I did about guest surveys. :P

As I said, it is a personal thing in that Rita could quite easily go. It's not in a pit, it hasn't exactly got a huge station building or a queue line that interacts with the ride or land.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

James

I'm actually not sure why I quoted you. I'm not sure what point I was trying to make either, since I practically said exactly the same as you. :lol:

Rita might not be a huge pit, go underground or interact much with the terrain but it was built to last. I'm not sure what the managements idea was when building Rita but it's not a temporary coaster, it was designed to last. I can see why it'd be easy to get rid of but it would leave a big gap in Dark Forest and would cause Alton to change the shape of the Dark Forest in order to build another coaster in that area.
dbeatz13

Hopefully none of them for a while yet [-o<

I would be least gutted if Rita was to go, I feel that it served its purpose and now it no longer has the same thrill as it once did, its relatively tame compared to the other coasters.

I would be devastated if Nemesis went.
TB2

[quote=""James""]
Rita might not be a huge pit, go underground or interact much with the terrain but it was built to last. I'm not sure what the managements idea was when building Rita but it's not a temporary coaster, it was designed to last. I can see why it'd be easy to get rid of but it would leave a big gap in Dark Forest and would cause Alton to change the shape of the Dark Forest in order to build another coaster in that area.[/quote]

Oh I absolutely agree with you. The only time that any of the big 5 go is when they become to expensive to maintain and there popularity drops to a point when they aren't worth running.

It won't happen for a very long time... :)

James-Allgood

I have been to alton towers quite a lot this season and I think that oblivion could be the next to go as its quite a old ride and there isent much in the land where it is based in now! As submission is kind of well... dieing and then enterprise where it is a 5% Fun ride. In other words that whole land is going to be next to go!
Blaze

Old? It's younger than Nemesis. It's younger than you.
Bote

Oblivion isn't going to be leaving anytime soon. The costs of removing it would be ridiculous. Besides, it's still a crowd pleaser, and draws riders to it. X-Sector may well change, but Oblivion will still be there.

[quote=""Blaze""]Old? It's younger than Nemesis. It's younger than you.[/quote]
and it's only slightly older than Air.

As to what will go next. I'm thinking it'll either be Rita, or Sonic Spinball (If you'd call it a major coster). Spinball is most likely, as I can see it going when the Sega contract finishes. Not only would it give them a chance to start a fresh with Adventure Land, but I imagin they'd still get a reasonable price for Spinball if they sell it on.

Not counting Spinball as major though, I think Rita.
Nemesis Of Oblivion

It probally won't be one of the secrete weapons so I guess Rita

It has a very low theming, and was only put their while they developed The13teen and to support the corkscrew at the time.