Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
mattbailey

[quote=""moog666""][quote=""Air Dan""][quote=""moog666""]Still think this is a bit of an over-reaction to a peice of theming considering we dont have a shred of evidence suggesting a 4D cinema.[/quote]

But a number of people in this thread have posted saying that they were already aware of this development and were just waiting for it to become public information. :?[/quote]

But have any specificly mentioned a 4D cinema? (If they have then my apologies this topic is moving at a hell of a rate)[/quote]

From what I have heard... it's Shrek 4D and going into the Ice Rink area.
8)
Maelstrom

plus dont forget in June 2009 when the ten year plans were put on displey their was an interview with the parks managing director on thisisderbyshire.co.uk who said they were looking at a possible 4D cinema the year after their new coaster opened.
oldgitBEN

HAHAHAHAHA SUPERB BLOODY SUPERB!

What absolute crap pictures! I was expecting from the original description a Shrek head with the words matching, not some shite plaster of paris with biro on.

If its all fake, hook, line and sinker we've all gone for the most stupid story since ye old crate gate of 06/07!

While I'd like a shrek 4D cinema (for the 4D cinema alone) I think we may be getting over excited over some pen markings.
El Patricko

So a small mould for a head was discovered, many rep points were given and they all lived happily ever after...

I will put my balls on the railway track now and say theres no evidence of there being a 4d next year, it has just been suggested and propelled into a fact as always happens on a discussion forum. If this is for an attraction (i doubt) then it is more realistic that it would be for the dungheap, a retheme of that particular attraction, not an entire land. as much as i dont like talking without "my opinioning" every paragraph, sometimes i just cant help it, hence the expression near the start of this post. :)

The tent fabric can move up to a meter during wind, any structure would need to be separate with good clearance.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Groller1000

If there is going to be a shrek 4d cinema I think it would probably be in the ice show tent in adventure land, because "sonic" which is another family entertainment charactor is in that area. If it was to be put in the black hole tent (which is unlikely) it would have to be accessed by the path leading towords the x - sector, because it wouldn`t fit the theme of the x - sector. What do uou guys think?
buffaloBen

ENOUGH WITH THE ICE SHOW TENT AND ANY OTHER TENTS!

Alton are now becoming one of the largest resorts in the UK, there's no need to be using tents anymore thats something you should get at blackpool pleasure dumping ground which although has good rides a lot of it, is a dump.

Towers can do so much better than a tent. A permanent building is no hassle and can be done during the closed season. (look how quick they built sea life and thats more complex with pumps ect)

I would be happy with a 4D attraction. SHREK or no SHREK.

Just please avoid tents, they look poor.
[Archive]

In case you have not seen the tent for yourself, here are some actual photos of it from Towers Times.

It is more than what the term "tent" suggests, in case you were thinking of one of these:

:P
buffaloBen

I experienced the ice show for my self and i think transforming it into a 4D attraction would be very awkward.

How many 4D cinemas have you been into, in a tent?

It won't look right and it won't be right so forget the whole tent idea.
Vik

Now he's signed a new 5 year deal for Man UTD, does that mean Shrek won't be coming to Alton Towers next year afterall? :sus:
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

JoshM

[quote=""Vik""]Now he's signed a new 5 year deal for Man UTD, does that mean Shrek won't be coming to Alton Towers next year afterall? :sus:[/quote]

Arrr, you beat me too it :( :P
Slappy McGuire

The Rooney Ride? For Old ladies only?
mcivkev

[quote=""moog666""]Still think this is a bit of an over-reaction to a peice of theming considering we dont have a shred of evidence suggesting a 4D cinema.[/quote]

I agree here, just because this is written on a fibreglass item, does not suggest a $D attraction or any other attraction. I have done Shrek 4D in Orlando and i wasnt that impressed by it, the disney 4d in animal kingdom was better and more thrilling, terminator was awesome, but best sim there i have to say is Spiderman.

I also doubt if AT would even be storing such items on the park just now. Maybe someone has written that on there for a joke?
FDS Website & Media Design
Islander

[quote=""buffaloBen""]How many 4D cinemas have you been into, in a tent?[/quote]
Err, as I've posted above, there's a perfectly great one at Legoland, and has been for seven years. It's lasted perfectly well, has been host to four separate 4D shows, and is still in good nick.

For those that haven't seen it:

Originally a simple awning with no walls or anything, walls (that do not rise all the way to the roof) were installed around 13 years ago. The structure was used as a theatre (add ice, and this sounds familiar...) for a fair few years. At the end of the 1999 season, a simple truss structure was erected in the 'tent', which held a new lighting grid and blackout drapes. Incidentally, this truss doesn't magically hover in the air, it does indeed have supports, which intrude into the auditorium. Not an issue, though.

The 'tent' is in more or less the exact same state today!

At the end of the 2002 season, the necessary equipment to transform the 'tent' into a 4D theatre (including a 36-foot screen) was installed, and it has been a fully-functioning 4D theatre to this day, host to Lego Racers 4D, Spellbreaker 4D, Bob the Builder 4D and Lego City: A Clutch Powers 4D Adventure.

For once and for all, it is perfectly possible to create a permanent, long-lasting 4D theatre in a tent-like structure. You want proof? Visit Legoland.
buffaloBen

I still think the idea of having it in a tent still looks silly.

If it is in a tent ( i will be disappointed) i would like to see another one or two attractions on top of it.

I don't want another year like 2007. (Haunted Hallow & Dung Heap)

In my opinion; i mean look at the photo above (last post) at legoland. It looks poor and cheap with not the slightest bit of theming in sight.
If Alton want to become this huge resort they need the quality of attractions as well as quantity.
Im sure Alton would theme there tent compared to the legoland one, but just how much better would it be in a real structure that looks like its from Blackpool.
Vik

A lot of the old ice tent is quite well hidden from view anyway. The suggestion is the facade will be re-themed as well, so hopfully should not look as tacky as Legolands does. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Cjw

Shrek 4D would be a great addition to that area.

It's better than most of the 4D cinemas we've got in the UK (providing they install it properly) featuring [spoiler:17he6onk]chairs that gallop along with the action on the screen[/spoiler:17he6onk] and manages to avoid the fact that the films are finishing as it's set between the first and second.

Not sure I believe that manky bit of "theming" however.
Themeparksandy1981

[quote=""Slappy McGuire""]The Rooney Ride? For Old ladies only?[/quote]

It be a paid attraction then lol.
bohoboy

When Shrek The Third was released, Madame Tussauds in London had a Shrek waxwork made. Being as the item in question is a mould for a torso, is it not logical to assume this is just more Tussauds studios storage rather than for something new heading to the park?
mcivkev

[quote=""bohoboy""]When Shrek The Third was released, Madame Tussauds in London had a Shrek waxwork made. Being as the item in question is a mould for a torso, is it not logical to assume this is just more Tussauds studios storage rather than for something new heading to the park?[/quote]

I agree with this one. Plus merlin are turning Louis Tussauds in Blackpool into Madame Tussauds so maybe this is for the new place in Blackpool.
FDS Website & Media Design
NickT04

I will proper dislike this attaction if the rumours are true! I think 4D is a gimmick and I hate Shrek. Was hoping Charlie and Sonic would be the last of the ties ins. :cry: