Shrek & General attraction discussion for 2011?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Craig

From TT News:
Some eagle eyed TowersTimes Forum members have spotted some Shrek related theming hidden away on park. Although the location makes it difficult to see exactly what the theming is, the fact the word Shrek was seen and the shapes resemble Shrek related characters suggests a new attraction could be on it's way for 2011.

A 4D attraction has been widely rumoured for Alton Towers for a number of years, and considering Shrek 4D is established in a number of parks this could be a credible possibility. Following its creation in 2003, Shrek 4D attractions currently operate globally across Universal Studio's park portfolio, as well as at Movie World Germany and Warner Bros. Movie World in Germany.

If a Shrek 4D attraction were to be confirmed, it would likely be located in one of the park's vacant tents which formerly housed the Black Hole or the Ice Show. It would also mark a return to family oriented attractions following the addition of Th13teen this year, a ride widely marketed towards thrill seekers.

Images are on the way as soon as we get them, and we'll have more news as we get it.
Blaze

Please not the tent [-o<

Otherwise, not bad, there's just been a new film out, and I think there's still one or more to come, it's still popular with kids and families, so why not? I'd prefer them to not have an IP, and if they build a cinema it to not be themed so the film could be changed, but it's not the worst IP they could have got, and I suppose once it runs out the theming can be replaced.

A 4D would be nice, but for God's sake, not in the tent [-o<
[Archive]

Oh God no. Too gimmicky for words! Please, if this is happening, not in X Sector! At the most, just put a 4D film in the old Ice Rink and then we can forget about it. I really hate IPs.
ciaran

quite right Bill, why would they be doing shrek anyway, surley if your to have a 4D film you are going to make one from your sponser e.g sonic!
Adam

Hmmm, Very interesting...

I for one would quite like to see this happen. Anything like Shrek 4D in Florida would be brilliant. That's a fantastic attraction.

And the park has been screaming out for a 4D for years!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Rowe

The 4D cinema is needed for the park as they help absorb the long queues and because kids absolutely adore them, I must admit. But personally the IP Idea is too late seeing as the Shrek film franchise is about to end and it is very gimmicky as it is. Hopefully they will utilise the poor ex-ice tent as the poor dear's been sat around, doing nothing for a couple of years.
Coke

Any 4D film, but please not Shrek, I fully agree with Rowe, the franchise is over...

Are you thirsty?
Chris W

It seems to me that its pretty obvious that it will end up in the Ice Show tent, it would be a total theme clash in X Sector and thats one of the sites being thought about for 2012, not 2011.

Alton Towers is crying out for more indoor attractions, its a perfect attraction for the winter/February openings.

The choice of IP is debatable but I'm very happy that we could be getting a 4D cinema.
e4kenndr

Sorry being a bit slow, whats IP stand for and where is this Ice Tent?

Only been going to the towers since end of 2006 season
Blaze

Intellectual Property.

It's nearish Spinball, around that area.
Craig

I don't see it as a gimmick really. If we do see a 4D cinema, I'd imagine it would most likely be in the ice tent, it really wouldn't suited to X Sector and they'd be daft to consider putting it in there due to the possibility of it being used for a future SW.

Whether the films have finished or not, Shrek and the other characters from the films are hugely successful. Universal are still making Shrek attractions at their new parks, and there's no denying there wouldn't be massive interest in such an addition in the UK. If the result of this addition means more people through the gates, ultimately it'll mean more money for original attractions for the future.

Remember this year has seen a huge investment in terms of rides and in particular events, with the likes of the 80's concert, fireworks and improvements to Scarefest. So, to have anything for 2011 is superb news, especially for a Shrek attraction which is likely to need a fairly substantial budget.
e4kenndr

Where the hospitality tent thing is?
Vik

Whilst it may seem gimmicky, and I tend to agree, as I would much prefer something in house rather than film related, I am glad that another indoor attraction is likely to be added for 2011. This along with hopefully something for the Black Hole tent in 2012 will help with what is currently a fairly small line up of indoor attractions. Something that is made noticable when you are there during one of the many wet days we see in this country.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

fredward

I'm thinking it's not such a bad idea...

If the attraction is in the ice tent then it'll fit in very well... storybook land shrek is all about fairytales ext. Plus they can use the old entrance with little theming added since hollow out tree is where shrek lives

shoot me if you disagree :lol:
aru

I think it is very unlikely that a 4D attraction would be located in a leaky temporary structure. Most 4D technology is permanently fixed and effectively wired and designed into buildings. The old ice show tent also has an interior that is not suited to film viewing as there are several metal columns holding up the roof. Maybe the old Nick building in Cuckoo Land (if extended) would be suitable? Hopefully not the BH tent!
mattbailey

Glad to hear it's broken... has been intriguing seeing how long it would take to get out.

From what I understand, it's gonna be going into the Ice Tent... however, I guess plans may still change.

I have to say, when I first heard of the idea I was a bit disappointed, but it has grown on me and I can't help but feel it is good to have an extra indoor attraction for rainy days, and also one that appeals to a lot of people.

Whilst we, as a community, would want a new thrill ride every year, this is perfect for Alton's family market and having ridden Shrek 4D in Florida, I am of the opinion that they could have done worse.
:D
Blaze

Now you mention it, it's perfect for the Nick building.
Rowe

[quote=""Craig""]Some eagle eyed TowersTimes Forum members have spotted some Shrek related theming hidden away on park. Although the location makes it difficult to see exactly what the theming is, the fact the word Shrek was seen and the shapes resemble Shrek related characters suggests a new attraction could be on it's way for 2011.[/quote]

Whereabouts on park were the bits and bobs of theming spotted? I would expect them to be hidden behind CCL (the wonderful yard, view sponsored by Twirling Toadstool!) or around the back of Duel. Quite annoyed at myself now because I didn't notice on the meet!
Jordan

If this is the only addition for 2011, then I'll be pretty disappointed. Was definitely expecting a Dark Forest flat.

However, I'll echo the comments above that this would be a great attraction for rainy days and if it's the only way they can justify an indoor ride at the moment, then I can accept that. Hopefully this would be put inside the Nick building and not the BH tent though.
John

I highly doubt this will be for the BH tent. Aside from the fact that its completely inappropriate for the area we were told on the th13teen event that they were looking at the black hole tent for 2012.

I think either in or as a replacement for the ice tent is most likely. Nick building would be good too, but that would mean having two shows right next to each other, which seems a bit odd.