New Flats Ideas?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
cookiee_munster

[quote=""Spike""]I do think it's time for Ripsaw to be upgraded to it's bigger brother..

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url][/quote]

my God, that looks immense! amazing, and fantastically themed too! :)

i think the park needs to start investing. i think a lot of folk on here just go by a standard ride installation like flat / rollercoaster / flat / land re-theme / flat / rollercoaster / rollercoaster its quite substandard for a top themepark these days.

the park needs to wake up. get out of its safe zone and invest in something truly immense. think on the scale of spiderman/harry potter at islands of advernture. install a show on the scale of poseidon (also from I.O.A). something that carries great show effetcs and a great ride system equalling to a great experience.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""cookiee_munster""]

the park needs to wake up. get out of its safe zone and invest in something truly immense. think on the scale of spiderman/harry potter at islands of advernture. install a show on the scale of poseidon (also from I.O.A). something that carries great show effetcs and a great ride system equalling to a great experience.[/quote]

The thing is though, these parks run 365 days a year and have a $multi-billion industry backing them. Yes Merlin are the 3rd largest but people do not travel across the world to visit Alton like they do Universal not to mention it's in a country with a population 5 times the size of ours.

They have to look at how much money rides of this callibur bring to the playing table, $50Million on a dark would be incredible for Alton but it's never going to happen as that's probably what they make in one year before costs wages etc. Alton-although world class-only brings in 2.5million visitors a year so there for is limmited on how much they get to spend a year on investments.

I think you over looked, as well, the number of World firsts and groundbreaking rides Alton has had, rides which later made their way across the Atlantic but not before being built and designed here as a world first. :wink:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
cookiee_munster

[quote=""Spike""][quote=""cookiee_munster""]

the park needs to wake up. get out of its safe zone and invest in something truly immense. think on the scale of spiderman/harry potter at islands of advernture. install a show on the scale of poseidon (also from I.O.A). something that carries great show effetcs and a great ride system equalling to a great experience.[/quote]

I think you over looked, as well, the number of World firsts and groundbreaking rides Alton has had, rides which later made their way across the Atlantic but not before being built and designed here as a world first. :wink:[/quote]

but the whole worlds first thing is very short lived. nemesis was a european first, that's now of course not the case, oblivion; there's dive machines all over the place, air (was that even a first?) and thirteen; may be a worlds first for a long time because i dont think anyone would buy into a gimmick like that...

ok, so the rides ive mentioned would cost a lot more to install at a park like alton towers, but what they need to do is start thinking on that scale, and meet requirements to the budget that they have. the park is no longer an expensive fair-ground. its a resort.
CoasterCrazyChris

I know this will sound very surprising, but in terms of actual rides, with the obvious exception of the coasters and Hex, there are no other amazing/groundbreaking/unique rides at Alton Towers.

Sorry, but it is the bitter truth.

Their water rides are average, sure they are fun but they just are not good enough. It seems that parks like Thorpe Park and Drayton Manor offer more/better in this department now.

Then there are dark rides, Hex aside the park is very, very behind and out of date on this front. We all know how CATCF is far below sub-sub-sub-standard and Duel is knackered and fast losing its charm.

Flat rides, again nothing special, Ripsaw is ok but everything else is just well...meh.

There are a good selection of childrens rides but when you look at The Beastie...hmmm.

Of course the whole park atmosphere and theming makes up for this, but I really think SERIOUS investment should be made on either water/flat/dark rides before SW7 in my opinion.

:)
Don't_Look_Down

A drop tower would be great - especially if placed in the X-Sector area.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Ride In To Alton

I was thinking that a ride that i know as the extreme (one at skegness pleasure beach) would look great theamed as a tree with the arms as the branches waving all over the place, moving in all directions like it was posessed and seeking revenge on all who dare to ride.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/y5-aZ_ZKnrw/0.jpg
boroboywally

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;] ... re=related[/url] or vortex thorpe park
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
there some rides i like :D
Bear

Actually, Navigator is a really good ride! Get some serious themeing slapped on there, and you have another great ride!
Bubbaride

[quote=""Don't_Look_Down""]A drop tower would be great - especially if placed in the X-Sector area.[/quote]
How about a simulator drop tower thing?

I've had this idea in my head for some time so going to finally post it up:-

It would go in the Black Hole tent, and the theme would be like a mine shaft but to go down to Oblivion.

Story:-

Alton Towers have received a number of complaints about people going missing on Oblivion, so they built a mine lift to go down there. It's your job to go find these people, but something goes wrong; The cable snaps and you end up crashing. You exit the lift to find yourself in Oblivion.

They would have to lower the floor to make the drop bigger, and you would enter the ride on the second floor.

The lifts would be like Tower of Terror, with seat belts, and a screen at the front. Also like TofT the ride has a boarding area and the actual drop area. Before the cable snaps it would all be simulated, the lift vibrating wind etc all the time the screen displaying you going down.

Then you hear the cable snap and you drop X amount. You exit in the center of a cave and try find the lost souls(exit)

Thoughts?
Last edited by Bubbaride on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pennywise

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]I know this will sound very surprising, but in terms of actual rides, with the obvious exception of the coasters and Hex, there are no other amazing/groundbreaking/unique rides at Alton Towers.
[/quote]

Well, I don't know how many 'groundbreaking' non-coasters there are at other parks in the UK either. But there are certainly still some pretty fantastic attractions. Congo River Rapids, Runaway Mine Train, Duel and Battle Galleons are all pretty darn good considering the country we're in, to be honest.

Their water rides are average, sure they are fun but they just are not good enough. It seems that parks like Thorpe Park and Drayton Manor offer more/better in this department now.
OK, so lets looks at water rides and flat rides for Alton vs Thorpe vs Drayton, shall we? Congo River Rapids trumps both Splash Canyon & Rumba Rapids. Admittedly The Flume is not as good as Stormforce 10 or, arguably, Logger's Leap. However, Drayton Manor have no 3rd water rides, whereas Alton Towers have Battle Galleons, and Thorpe Park have the (awful) Depth Charge.

In terms of flats, I'd still say Alton just about trumps Drayton Manor, with Ripsaw, Enterprise, Submission and Blade up against Maelstrom and Pandemonium, and I don't know about you guys, but I'll take Ripsaw walk-on over Rush, Samurai, Slammer or Vortex at 45 minutes a piece, please.
Then there are dark rides, Hex aside the park is very, very behind and out of date on this front. We all know how CATCF is far below sub-sub-sub-standard and Duel is knackered and fast losing its charm.
OK, so again, comparing to the rest of the UK. Hex is by far the best dark ride in the UK, arguably on the entire planet. Meanwhile Duel is arguably superior to Tomb Blaster, and definitely to Laser Raiders. Thorpe Park boast NO dark rides (bar X:/WTF!?) and Drayton Manor's only attempts are the pathetic 'The Haunting' and 'Wild West Shoot Out'. Heading back to Alton... Sharkbait Reef, anyone?
There are a good selection of childrens rides but when you look at The Beastie...hmmm.
The Beastie is the only weak link in a strong line-up of attractions for children of all ages at the Resort, and I can't see it lasting much longer, personally. It probably only has until the end of next season, in my book. Other than that; Squirrel Nutty, the Farmyard, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Heave Ho & Marauders Mayhem, even rides like Hex, Duel & The Flume are suitable for the very young.
Of course the whole park atmosphere and theming makes up for this, but I really think SERIOUS investment should be made on either water/flat/dark rides before SW7 in my opinion.
A new flat or 2, perhaps, and improvements to Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (if not ripping it out completely and rebuilding Toyland Tours :yes: ), but I don't see any problems with the water rides at Alton whatsoever, apart from The Flume needing some maintainance.

Ritadz

[quote=""Air Dan""]
OK, so lets looks at water rides and flat rides for Alton vs Thorpe vs Drayton, shall we? Congo River Rapids trumps both Splash Canyon & Rumba Rapids. Admittedly The Flume is not as good as Stormforce 10 or, arguably, Logger's Leap. However, Drayton Manor have no 3rd water rides, whereas Alton Towers have Battle Galleons, and Thorpe Park have the (awful) Depth Charge.
[/quote]

You forgot Tidal Wave.
[Archive]

I think that is a pretty Alton Towers-biased point of view. For example, Hex? Really the best in the UK? That is debatable actually.

Also, I think Chris was talking about the worldwide situation. The UK is rubbish for strong theme parks, so Alton Towers beats all of the other fairly easily. But Alton Towers wants to be a world-class attraction right? In which case, it needs to improve a lot. Especially the flat rides. :)
El Patricko

Wow that fangled hulking topspin deserves an honorable mention, excellently themed and synchronized (the fountains didn't seem to hit the riders tho). Makes you wonder why they didn't dig ripsaw into the ground (a hole which follows the trajectory, like earlier posted topspin) and have the fountains representing the blood streaming up by shining red LEDs up the collum of water.

Maybe you could even build a drop tower, and tilt it on it's side, shape it like a parabolic airtime hill and install the power system from a screamin swing. Just a quick idea, i think it could work well with free-swinging seats. I will post a drawing shortly :)
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Bear

[quote=""El Patricko""]Maybe you could even build a drop tower, and tilt it on it's side, shape it like a parabolic airtime hill and install the power system from a screamin swing. Just a quick idea, i think it could work well with free-swinging seats. I will post a drawing shortly :)[/quote]

Please do, because I'm well confused!
Pricey ;)

[quote=""MegaJib""][quote=""El Patricko""]Maybe you could even build a drop tower, and tilt it on it's side, shape it like a parabolic airtime hill and install the power system from a screamin swing. Just a quick idea, i think it could work well with free-swinging seats. I will post a drawing shortly :)[/quote]

Please do, because I'm well confused![/quote]
and me :?
ScaredyCat

I didn't they could do a drop tower because it would be above trees and that isnt allowed. I know they've got frog hoppy but that's about as high they can go!
militantcoasterfan

I haven't read the whole topic but is this in relation to the 5 year plan exhibition that was displayed at the hotel the other year where they said they would build additional accomodation?

There must be things like Caravans or camp sites that are a better alternative to flats? This just makes me think of council estates like Shameless!
MILITANT COASTER FAN 1981
Bear

[quote=""militantcoasterfan""]I haven't read the whole topic but is this in relation to the 5 year plan exhibition that was displayed at the hotel the other year where they said they would build additional accomodation?

There must be things like Caravans or camp sites that are a better alternative to flats? This just makes me think of council estates like Shameless![/quote]

The word "flats" relates to thrill rides within the park, like Ripsaw, Blade, and Enterprise.

Rest assured, there will be no blocks of flats built anywhere near Alton!
Brad.smith

Megajim, thanks for clearing this I was a little confused myself when I came over this 'flats' in alton towers post myself! But I couldn't complain if I was lucky enough to be a resident there gotta be nothing like waking up to a hot cup of cofee then opening your door to have a fly round the park on stealth. Ah fun, i'd make sure I kept up with the rent if I was lucky enough to get one thats for sure :P

Thanks again, i'd personally love to see more of these current ones are great!
Bear

[quote=""Brad.smith""]have a fly round the park on stealth[/quote]

That's Thorpe Park you're thinking of, but I get the picture.