New Rollercoaster concepts

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
hell lepard

I really don't want this topic to be about what Alton Towers will build, I want this topic to be abou,t given the restrictions of Alton Towers, what could they create as their attractions of the future.

I'll start with a concept of a powered accelerator Flume. I know it sound intense but the idea stems from the Thirteen concept of initial thrill with little track. I plan to have a small lift hill with a powered drop, the drop could be magnetically powered and the boat would be similar to the Intamin Giant Flume. These boats have capacity for 25 people, I believe that waist restraints would work. The powered drop would be at the end of a pre show through water jets and turns and twists to help empty the water between each circuit.

Using a powered drop rather than a powered lift hill would mean a gravity assist. The launch should start at the brow of the hill to create the forceful drop we all want in a Theme Park. The thought then of being powered through water then would create a tidal wave with distance. The boat will then follow the traditional sequence of a giant flume to the station.

Feel free to embellish on this but please do not be negative, this topic is all about creating ideas.
Last edited by hell lepard on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry96

Not really keen on that idea, I avoid tidal wave normally because frankly, it's far too wet. A powered drop wouldn't go well on a water ride and it's gimmicky. I'd rather just have a simple, gimmick free rollercoaster which is brilliant for what it is without having to rely on something like that.
hell lepard

[quote=""henry96""]Not really keen on that idea, I avoid tidal wave normally because frankly, it's far too wet. A powered drop wouldn't go well on a water ride and it's gimmicky. I'd rather just have a simple, gimmick free rollercoaster which is brilliant for what it is without having to rely on something like that.[/quote]
It's just a concept, like my new concept of a lose suspension coaster where air time hills acually feel unsafe and the cars rock.
bradpeet

[quote=""hell lepard""]its just a concept like my new concept of a lose suspension coaster where air time hills acually feel unsafe and the cars rock[/quote]

If Alton Towers wanted a coaster like that they could just build a woodie :twisted: I'm joking of course - but if the public think that a woodie 'seems unsafe' what would they think of a coaster like you describe?
BigAl

What about a Wild Mouse in a dark and wacky games show type of building. My idea would be the WORLDS FIRST QUIZ BASED ROLLER COASTER. 4 contestants in 1 train play against 4 in another train and the trains both start next to each other.

The objective is to reach the end first (for a small prize maybe). The trains go around small amounts of track before coming to a stop and then they are asked a question. If they get it wrong, the track section twists and they are sent off down a longer and a more intense route. As the game progresses the ride gets more intense and faster as more questions are answered wrong.

The right answer sends the train off down a nicer and quicker route. Score boards could be kept and the quickest team at the end of each month is invited back to Alton Towers free of charge. The highest score at the end of the year win a free stay in one of the hotels over Christmas or an Alton Towers or Merlin Annual Pass each. This ride could have an infinite amount of themes applied and it would involve the whole family.

Alton Towers could do something like this if they are intending to aim their park at families (mainly). I suppose it could be a horrendous idea if you look at it from a technical point of view but should the glitches be fixed I think it would be great! Also, timing would be key if they wanted to have a decent through put.
Last edited by BigAl on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny13

^ I would want to get the answer wrong! :P
BigAl

[quote=""danny13""]^ I would want to get the answer wrong! :P[/quote]

It would be more of a family/little kids ride but there's no harm in not playing properly :lol:
bradpeet

[quote=""BigAl""][quote=""danny13""]^ I would want to get the answer wrong! :P[/quote]

It would be more of a family/little kids ride but there's no harm in not playing properly :lol:[/quote]

But surely getting the answer right should give a reward? Get the answer right and you should get the more intense ride, get it wrong and get a consolation prize, which should be applicable at any age (just make sure that the loser arrives at the next stop first and has to wait a few seconds for the winner - to reinforce the fact that the winner's section is better).
BigAl

I suppose if you look at it like that then yeah it would work. I think it would work either way. Maybe get a wrong answer and you travel through tunnels which squirt water at you and the sound of an audience laughing and booing at you can be heard.
hell lepard

[quote=""BigAl""]I suppose if you look at it like that then yeah it would work. I think it would work either way. Maybe get a wrong answer and you travel through tunnels which squirt water at you and the sound of an audience laughing and booing at you can be heard.[/quote]
the concept could be put through the hex ride where questions relating to the pre story of hex actually create an altenate ending in the vekoma mad house
JoshM

[quote=""BigAl""]What about a Wild Mouse in a dark and wacky games show type of building. My idea would be the WORLDS FIRST QUIZ BASED ROLLER COASTER. 4 contestants in 1 train play against 4 in another train and the trains both start next to each other.

The objective is to reach the end first (for a small prize maybe). The trains go around small amounts of track before coming to a stop and then they are asked a question. If they get it wrong, the track section twists and they are sent off down a longer and a more intense route. As the game progresses the ride gets more intense and faster as more questions are answered wrong.

The right answer sends the train off down a nicer and quicker route. Score boards could be kept and the quickest team at the end of each month is invited back to Alton Towers free of charge. The highest score at the end of the year win a free stay in one of the hotels over Christmas or an Alton Towers or Merlin Annual Pass each. This ride could have an infinite amount of themes applied and it would involve the whole family.

Alton Towers could do something like this if they are intending to aim their park at families (mainly). I suppose it could be a horrendous idea if you look at it from a technical point of view but should the glitches be fixed I think it would be great! Also, timing would be key if they wanted to have a decent through put.[/quote]

That would work really well in the black hole tent.
Blaze

Because the Black Hole tent is really a Tardis, and can grow to whatever size any particular idea would need #-o Remember, the tent was made to house a Jet Star 2. Any other coaster would need to be the same scale and have a profile to fit in, with a tall side and low side, probably with a spiral lift. SPinball won't fit, a drop tower won't really fit, it's really difficult to fit anything but a Jet Star 2 in, to be honest. Hopefully in 2012 they will put a new coaster in, but it will just be a plain, standard coaster.
hell lepard

I've had a thought about this concept and winning something is not the way to go. Perhaps winning an intitial queueline question will actually speed the ride up, so instead of Thirteen the trim breaks don't work, and you actually achieve airtime and a preference is also a detemining factor.
Last edited by hell lepard on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOneWho

I can only imagine that being a through-put nightmare, as well as causing some disagreements. Pub quizzes cause enough, and that is when the group know each other and have a bit more time than you would have on a ride. What if both groups get the answer right? Would it come down to who answered first? It would probably need some half-decent technology, which as we know, is prone to breakdowns.
BigAl

To help with throughput the ride could be very compact and have many sections to allow more cars. You have to have faith in the staff. Did you hear about Th13teen exceeding throughput expectations within the first hour it was open. They would be able to handle it. This is probably too big a ride for Alton Towers and I can imagine it fitting in an American theme park much easier. For it to be a decent experience anyway. There doesn't need to be a prize every time (only at the end of season). The technology for the quiz is simple. Have control panels built into the ride cars with a choice of three answers or something. The wrong/right answer makes the on board computer send a message to the main computer which operates the tracks (like any switch track system) and change the track section accordingly. The questions are changed every week or month, etc...
I imagine this idea would need a lot of money, time, money, development and money. For a family ride I don't see it being the hassle it would be worth but it's just a concept. In my mind it works a treat :lol:
Blaze

Can't see it being safe or thrilling, the cars would have to stop at a block every few seconds to wait for the track to switch if you didn't answer in time, and while on a ride, would you really be able to focus on a question? It would take away from the experience of just enjoying the ride. It would take up a huge amount of space. It just wouldn't work. It's a quirky concept, but that's all it will ever be, I'm afraid.
TheOneWho

Yeah, as above. Stopping every few seconds really doesn't work for me, not if it's meant to be thrilling. The prize should be the experience itself.
BigAl

The idea wasn't intended for enthusiast who just want the coaster. I was inspired by 'Scream if you Know the Answer'. The fact that you're on a roller coaster makes the simplest of questions twice as difficult which is what I intended. The space needed would be far too great for Alton Towers so it wouldn't be worth it.
DiogoJ42

It's an interesting idea, but in all honesty it's just too complicated to work on a coaster. But it could work on a Robo Arm :D
Blaze

That's a pretty good idea to be honest, why didn't I think of that :lol: :roll:

And Damos, please tell me that's a joke, it's just annoying seeing how many times people suggest that...