Alton Towers next thrill ride

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
tha fish

^Exactly it's just plain stupid :P

ReMeMBeR ThE NaMe !!
Rollercoaster5000

Couldn't agree with you more Diogoj42 :D. However, what they're in desperate need of is a Woodie (although it'll need rubber tires to reduce the noise).
DiogoJ42

Wardley Woody FT W ! :yes:
Michaél

+

= :rock:

Seriously, Alton really need a wooden coaster, it is just something that has to be put in! Coaster wise, that is really what they need the most. :D I'd love a wild GCI through the trees just another coaster with some real madness and soul. :W

Apart from the planning permission fail at the first attempt, I see no reason why Alton can't have another shot at getting a woody in the park.
Blaze

Wardley has made 6 woodies for Towers?

Then why the hell have they not been submitted?! Surely the time is now. A wild GCI designed by Wardley, with or without theming, in the valley or not, would be epic. Nemesis, Oblivion, Hex, Air and now Thirteen. Everything the man touches turns to gold. Towers need him to get them a Woodie and something amazing for SW7 which is hopefully due in 2014. If they will know what they want in June they have plenty of time to design it.
Rollercoaster5000

^ JW designed 6 woodies for AT and they haven't submitted the plans yet :shock:. Well, what are AT playing at, submit them :D
MartynRitaRider

seriously 6, where would Alton put them all :) anyway rubish jokes out the way. A Woodie would be rather amazing could they make one work starting in the BH Tent and working its way towards Sonic Spinball then back but obviously with a bit more thrill. A water coaster or new flume i think is the most important thing to be working on for Alton to replace the old one. Something opposite Duel would also be good either a compact twisting rollercoaster or a wild flat ride.
bradpeet

[quote=""MartynRitaRider""]seriously 6, where would Alton put them all :) anyway rubish jokes out the way. A Woodie would be rather amazing could they make one work starting in the BH Tent and working its way towards Sonic Spinball then back but obviously with a bit more thrill. A water coaster or new flume i think is the most important thing to be working on for Alton to replace the old one. Something opposite Duel would also be good either a compact twisting rollercoaster or a wild flat ride.[/quote]

Now here's a thought - how about replacing the flume with a woodie. AND designing / constructing it such that a new flume is also incorporated into the structure?

Sure it would be complicated - but I'm sure John Wardley could rise to the challenge.
Rollercoaster5000

Well it was mentioned in one of the the episodes of Extreme rides that in the future there might be a woodie that can go in the water, as in it could incorporate a flume element :D It would be world first and will make an awesome SW..
D-Man

Boulder Dash at Lake Compounce is similar to what I would like to see at AT because it would be perfect for the valley but it would be a more intense experience. They don't even have to put it across the valley but could put it along the valley edge or through the middle of the family. :lol:

Would be just what AT needs! :lol: :lol:
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Themeparksandy1981

I think they really need 2 add another break dancer but themed well or a drop tower ride where the blade is now so they wouldn't have the problems with height.
Blaze

Some kind of swinging ride for the Blade site would be perfect. S&S Screamin' Swings or whatever they are called, maybe with a spinning element would be great. The Blade never has anything near a full gondola so they wouldn't have to worry about capacity. Some kind of Gyro Swing wouldn't fit into the narrow hole it sits in.

A wooden coaster with a flume element could work, old side friction coasters did it-look at that death trap that was in Rhyl-that was classed as a coaster but was a drop into water, and theythey even put the option of a water splash in RCT3, which Wardley was a part of. It could be used as some kind of finale and would double as a brake, providing it wasn't long enough to actually stop the train and/or had a transport device after it. Would be a very different thing to do and would probably be quite good. Dive Machines have splash downs and so does Diamondback. A proper splash surely couldn't be too much to ask for, surely?

And like I said-Wardley worked on RCT3, which has a splash element available to wooden coasters...just saying... :wink:

(Queue years of conspiracy theories and wild rumours from this post onwards...)
Rollercoaster5000

An S&S swing would be too loud I'm afraid :( , the idea of it incorporating a spinning element sounds like it could be nausiating to be honest. But yeah the woodie with a splashdown would be great addition and if JW worked on it on RCT3, then it's possible I guess.
Blaze

[quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]An S&S swing would be too loud I'm afraid :( , the idea of it incorporating a spinning element sounds like it could be nausiating to be honest. But yeah the woodie with a splashdown would be great addition and if JW worked on it on RCT3, then it's possible I guess.[/quote]

People who suffer from motion sickness, yes, but I can't see it being anyworse than a gyro swing type ride like Flip Flop or Maelstrom, for example. I'm sure they could install extra noise insulation, and they can get away with Nemesis (just), so it could maybe be possible if it doesn't add much noise.

Wardley worked on RCT3. I don't know how much input he had with it and if he had anything to do with the wooden splash feature, but it is there and would be very cool.
DiogoJ42

Where exactly does the 'hiss' come from on a Screaming Swing? Is it the ride mechanics or the compressor / accumulators? :? If it's the latter, there's no reason why the can't be hidden away in a soundproof bunker.
Blaze

I believe it is the compressors/accumulators. If it is, they can easily be hidden. If it is the mechanics, it is more difficult but still possible.
Instant Mix

Wouldn't a woodie be relatively loud though? Screams , wheels , etc. Oblivion has already been under fire from it , so why wouldn't the woodie?
Lilypad

I hate wooden coasters. :lol:
Benedique

Well I think whatever it is it's going to be amazing, especially after the disappointment from the public about TH13TEEN, I think Alton know that they have to make something top notch in terms of thrill next time around, none of this 'family ride' or '1.2m' business
John

[quote=""Lilypad""]I hate wooden coasters. :lol:[/quote]
That's quite a sweeping statement, which ones have you been on? We've only got one full sized modern woodie in the UK - Alton wouldn't be getting something like PBB's woodies.

I can't see alton ever having more than one wooden coaster, so they'll have to get it right first time. I'm hoping for something pretty substantial - the proposed cross valley woodie had a couple of massive drops, but not a lot else - I'd much rather have a longer, more balanced layout with medium-high thrills.

[quote=""Dominique""]Well I think whatever it is it's going to be amazing, especially after the disappointment from the public about TH13TEEN, I think Alton know that they have to make something top notch in terms of thrill next time around, none of this 'family ride' or '1.2m' business[/quote]
There's nothing wrong with family coasters, and they make up an important part of most parks. The crucial thing is getting the marketing right. Most people will go on spinball and RMT at least once during the day and then enjoy them because they both deliver what is expected of them. Had the marketing for thi13teen been toned down slightly no-one would be complaining.