Alton Towers next thrill ride

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
A5H

A riide like Maelstrom from Drayton Manor :D
But instead of it only doing a swing like a pirate ship, it should go all the way over !
That would be an amazing experience :) especially facing outwards
Thirteen2010

I would love them to combine ride elements together. Like a nemesis but launched, or a oblivion but with air cars. these are just some ideas. i know this would never happen but cant alton use there imagination more. dont get me wrong a free-fall coaster is good, but we need i true white knuckle ride. Then it would be the "ultimate roller-coaster"
Khanage

[quote=""Thirteen2010""]I would love them to combine ride elements together. Like a Nemesis but launched, or an Oblivion but with Air's cars. These are just some ideas. I know this would never happen but can't Alton use there imagination more. Don't get me wrong a free-fall coaster is good, but we need a true white knuckle ride. Then it would be the "ultimate roller-coaster"[/quote]

I have to disagree with you there. When it comes to innovative rides and ride technology, I think Alton Towers are at the forefront of using their imagination.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

FallenAngel

Not sure about coaster corner being reopened. I thought it was gradually closed over a period of time due to noise levels and proximity to local housing.

I'm sure there were articles in the paper about Alton being pressured into moving the rides or closing it completely or the locals would become more objectionable (if thats even possible) to new developments. They were essentially blackmailed into it.

A woodie, as someone mentioned above, would really not help the noise levels at all. If this is the case it seems to me alton are going to have to start ripping stuff out if they want to build new rides. Isnt Merlin studios in coaster corner now anyway or are they somewhere else? I've never been too sure.
El Patricko

In my opinion it's a must that they reopen coaster-corner, but this time as an area which contains no coasters. Perhaps more of a "old mcdonalds firm" area.

The LSM idea is great, would work well. I would love to see everything from RITA scrapped apart from the launch section, then have a 55ft peaked airtime hill followed by a trip into the valley and back again (with the 55ft peak ensuring the ride wouldn't stall in the valley). I can imagine a concept like this being the most terrifying expirience in the park, and it would fit in with the dark forest theme more.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Rathaus

[quote=""FallenAngel""]
A woodie, as someone mentioned above, would really not help the noise levels at all. If this is the case it seems to me alton are going to have to start ripping stuff out if they want to build new rides. Isnt Merlin studios in coaster corner now anyway or are they somewhere else? I've never been too sure.[/quote]

If I remember rightly, Merlin Studios are behind the Hex warehouse, and Cloud Cuckoo Land.. :)
joshc807

Yes they are in Coaster Corner

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/41709423@N ... 602131369/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41709423@N ... 602131369/[/url]
MattH

ive just been talking to rowe about this:

i think they could do with a drop tower in x-sector or an x-car somewhere in the park, i feel either of those will be good.

but with a drop tower, i wouldnt want it in the black hole tent, i would rather AT pay no attention to the height restrictions and place on there, as if it was underground, the main objective would be lost instantly.
Blaze

[quote=""GothicAngel""]but with a drop tower, i wouldnt want it in the black hole tent, i would rather AT pay no attention to the height restrictions and place on there, as if it was underground, the main objective would be lost instantly.[/quote]
Not true.
[spoiler:3gwa1dqq]Anyone who has ridden Thirteen yet will tell you being in the dark and dropping is increddible.[/spoiler:3gwa1dqq] Also, Extremis at the Dungeons. A dark drop tower would be amazing at Alton Towers and with Oblivion next door would be brilliant. The only problem is they would then have three rides with a straight drop.

A decent X-Car could maybe work, but it's a question of where.
Last edited by Blaze on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattH

[quote=""Blaze""][quote=""GothicAngel""]but with a drop tower, i wouldnt want it in the black hole tent, i would rather AT pay no attention to the height restrictions and place on there, as if it was underground, the main objective would be lost instantly.[/quote]
Not true.
[spoiler:5c6q3yek]Anyone who has ridden Thirteen yet will tell you being in the dark and dropping is increddible.[/spoiler:5c6q3yek] Also, Extremis at the Dungeons. A dark drop tower would be amazing at Alton Towers and with Oblivion next door would be brilliant. The only problem is they would then have three rides with a straight drop.

A decent X-Car could maybe work, but it's a question of where.[/quote]

Given that all i can do is agree with that, as i havent rode 13 or extremis, so i cant fight it XD

in terms of the x-car, theres a world of possibility ready, maybe behind the x-sector? :P
Last edited by MattH on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollercoaster5000

I have been on Xtremis, it is really quite something. I said in the Black Hole tent topic that they should add a drop tower like Xtremis. But with Thirteen, the addition of a drop tower is unlikely.
SLC_Boii x

[quote=""GothicAngel""]ive just been talking to rowe about this:

i think they could do with a drop tower in x-sector or an x-car somewhere in the park, i feel either of those will be good.

but with a drop tower, i wouldnt want it in the black hole tent, i would rather AT pay no attention to the height restrictions and place on there, as if it was underground, the main objective would be lost instantly.[/quote]

I'd love a heavily themed drop tower, but they can't ignore the height restrictions because:

a) They'd never get planning permission, and
b) AT wouldn't risk losing money in court to several people for disrupting "their scenery."

I'd like a B&M Sit Down. I don't want it to be a worlds first of record breaker, really - just as long as it's good.
stewart306

how deep can a trench be dug as far as a drop tower is concerned, in a way that you would get onto the ride at ground level in the black hole tent, climb as far as the height restriction would allow, then drop into the black hole tent, through the station and underground into a tunnel?

It is achievable
Peugeot Sport 908 HDi Fap
UnleashedLlama

I think it'd be a very expensive way of installing a very basic ride type though really. Even if they could manage a similar sized drop to that of Detonator (which I really like), would it be worth it for all of the required excavation expense?

It'd be like putting a 'catapillar coaster' in an actual sized, stone built Egyptian pyramid... or even a 'family coaster' into a crypt! :lol:, oh, wait...

(only kidding I adore Th13teen!) :-)
New for 2011]
tha fish

B&M sit down sounds good to me. The drop tower i think would be pointless because there is already oblivion, not exactly a drop tower but still. I also think AT shouldn't risk the height restriction and i really don't think that a drop tower would benefit the park.

ReMeMBeR ThE NaMe !!
Michaél

I fail to see how a B&M Sit-Down Looper would be be a plausible idea for a next thrill ride. The Alton ten year plan shows all the possible new coaster sites are relatively small and every B&M Sit-Down Looper from my recollection that exists has a much larger foot print than any of those sites. Although B&M's floorless coaster Daemon has a very small foot print and low height I really couldn't see something of a similar scale working at Alton; I don't actually think it is worth the fuss and there are many other "thrilling coasters" that would be a much more plausible new addition for Alton... such as a wooden coaster or thrilling family ride (like TH13TEEN is).

Saying that, if they pulled a Nemesis/Black Mamba with something of a similar scale to Daemon I really could see it working rather well. However it would be very expensive and I don't know exactly where they would put it. :lol: But I can imagine it being exceptionally good if they themed it right and generated a more exciting layout than the other smaller B&M loopers have.

But I would of thought just a plain simple flat ride would work best for the next "thrill ride" addition. Like I have said before in other topics a Huss Frisbee or a Mondial Topscan would work well when themed to a decent standard. :)

However I'm sure Alton have a few tricks up their sleeves so I'm going to predict we will have it completely wrong until the time comes around for a new thrill ride and all the plans leak. :P
Blaze

Oddly enough, the thought of a B&M inverting coaster doesn't get my pulse racing. Maybe it's just the mood I am in at the moment and later I will love the idea.

The problem is where to put it and cost. It really could be great in the right location but B&Ms cost a bomb.

I'd prefer the next thrill ride to be a flat in Dark Forest and maybe a fairly simple family/thrill coaster on the Black Hole site, in the tent or otherwise, for 2012/3, followed by something big for SW7 in 2014.
captain

I was of the belief that drop towers had pretty low capacity? So although one would be a fun addition to the thrill lineup, I don't think it's what the park should go for, especially with the obvious height issue.

I expect the Black Hole tent to be the site of the next thrill ride, but what I would really like to see is a wooden coaster similar to Boulder Dash, which shows how good a wooden coaster can be even below the treeline. I'm not sure if there is space/permission to build it on the side of the valley, but high speed through trees would give a great out-of-control feeling and I think would really fill the gap in Alton's lineup.

Some pictures:

[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
Dormiens-Dave

Interestingly John Wardley said on saturday that they hadn't decided what the next SW would be but that they probably would have by June.

He also said that he has designed about 6 woodies for towers but non on them have been put foward for planning with the exception of the cross-valley.
DiogoJ42

Why on earth would Alton waste money on a drop tower when
a) they have Oblivion,
b) they have Th13teen,
c) every park and their dog has one
d) there is Apocalypse at DMP?
:?

Coasters aside, what alton need is more spinny things.