The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
PeteMadden

I was thinking about this just then, and realised that the thick woodland that the flume passes through has such potential for a scare ride of some sort. Maybe as you flow down stream things jump out at you in the gloomy forest? All it would need is a rethemeing and its possible.
DannyNewbro

PeteMadden wrote: I was thinking about this just then, and realised that the thick woodland that the flume passes through has such potential for a scare ride of some sort. Maybe as you flow down stream things jump out at you in the gloomy forest? All it would need is a rethemeing and its possible.
Just no.

Dark and gloomy is the last thing Towers need after SW7, a theme park isn't a place to visit and see depressing things. It should have fun and crazy ideas, I wouldn't wanna see a pirate theme, it could be seen as a copy. Which Towers don't want. I was thinking of a Pirate stunt show that's on the scale of a Universal stunt show with special effects.. That would be a great addition to Towers, and it would add another family attraction to the park!
Last edited by DannyNewbro on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteMadden

DannyNewbro wrote:
PeteMadden wrote: I was thinking about this just then, and realised that the thick woodland that the flume passes through has such potential for a scare ride of some sort. Maybe as you flow down stream things jump out at you in the gloomy forest? All it would need is a rethemeing and its possible.
Just no.

Dark and gloomy is the last thing Towers need after SW7, a theme park isn't a place to visit and see depressing things. It should have fun and crazy ideas, I wouldn't wanna see a pirate theme, it could be seen as a copy. Which Towers don't want. I was thinking of a Pirate stunt show that's on the scale of a Universal stunt show with special effects.. That would be a great addition to Towers, and it would add another family attraction to the park!
TH13TEEN is dark and gloomy but it works for me.
I agree with your idea of the Pirate stunt show, I don't know I just think the area the flume is in has potential for a good ride. I don't think they should get rid of the actual flume itself, just make improvements where necessary
MattsDesigns

People are talking about a water coaster and lately I remembered I had some ideas & even drawings for a water coaster with dark ride sections. The theme is Sea side and Labyrinth-like(the film). The thread where I have been discussing a boat ride that goes through several different liquids comes from this idea – so I will post this later if I can be bothered  :)
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
CoasterCrazyChris

The Flume is a bit of a dilemma really.

Do we really want another pirate water ride after Battle Galleons? But at the same time, it can't just be left as it is can it for much longer?

Personally I am not entirely sure what they could do.

:)
MattsDesigns

It just depends if its good. If its the best pirate ride in the world then yes.

Sometimes I think the theme is unimportant - just as long as whatever is done is done good. Some people might chose a Disney themed ride over a Bacon themed ride - but if the Bacon ride is done right - with the great looking bacon cars and a bacon facade - it could be every bit as good - its just that people have seen disney stuff before and what the saw was good.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
PeteMadden

Battle Galleons is enough for pirate rides, they just don't work for me. A water coaster 'roller soaker' would be ideal.
altontowers101

what could happen is that the galleon could be a little kids play area :roll:
scruffy_

It needs to go, anf replaced by a new flume :)
AJLlama

It really does need something, probably removal. Compared to the other merlin flumes in the uk, it really lets the team down. Personally i think it should be replaced with an updated log flume, with slightly higher drops (Without breaking the sacred tree line) a good indoor section where something other than being quacked at happens and either a theme that fits it to mutiny bay or a little area to itself and maybe a little flat or two so it isn't just floating there. (Excuse the pun) not too sure of the geography but maybe move the access to KC or GW if be need be. 
sweedish2009

Not that I want to see The Flume leave the park, but I really can't see another make over/refurb happening.

If Merlin had any sense they would invest in a more up to date water ride to replace it.

The area the log  flume covers is huge, and really has the potential for something large and groundbreaking.

I know something on the scale of Journey To Atlantis, Splash Mountain or Tutuki Splash is out of the question/budget, but I think within the next 5-8 years we should see something happen to that area?

Stick with the pirate theme, Mutiny Bay has a lot of potential, and with the success of the POTC films they may as well make some money out of it.

I'm sure this has all been heard before but it's been on my mind.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
DrReeve

I think it needs a small retheme re-paint etc maybe edited the dark drop into a pirate themed bit with instead of a duck something else like a feature inside to add variety. I think it still needs the three drops that makes it more fun.
But it needs something to make it something new maybe a world first "blah Blah" log flume maybe....
Image credit to Lewis97
Vladimir Bobinski

I can't remember the last time I rode it, it just looks awful from the skyride.  I'm not sure it was even working Tuesday morning.
Ripsaw Raver

ok this what i would do have a slight theme where the pirates of mutany bay are trying to overthrow the ducks!!
Have pirate themed staff in the station with some tied up ducks. Have the Skull and Crossedbones on the fronts of the baths.. add some wooden scafholding round the first lift with some pirate flags attached and a sound annoucement as you go up the lift saying "hahaha-Now me landlubbers-the cap"n" has given orders-your gona Walk the plank!!"Around the top of the drop have an extended oversized wooden plank with hole cut into it for the boat to go through. As you level out of the drop and slow another anoucement says" Arrgh so ya still floatin are ya..cap"n" wont be happy with that!" have some hidden water fountains in the woods section and some more wood with cogs and contraptions to make it looks like the pirates are trying the change the ride. now for the fun part. When you enter the 2nd tunnel you can hear what sounds like pirates advancing and a duck quacking as you reach the top of the lift a cannon is directly infront of you with a duck sat on top with an eyepatch and a pirate hat! with a bang-strobe-smoke and slight water spray the cannon fires at you just as you go over the drop.In the tunnel the next scene shows a pirate sword fighting the big duck and more cannons lined up with dynamite. the final lift is enclosed with double doors at the top with fibre optics showing 2 trails of sparks burning up the sides of the lift you get to the top another bang-strobes and smoke blast the doors open and a pirate is heard saying "Tharr she blows-Down ye gooo!" You hit the splash pool littered with chests and wooden boxes which have hidden water blasts operated by guests.. Theme: Pirates have taken over the flume unaware that the ducks are ready and waiting to fight back and you are caught in the crossfire..  i know it looks like alot but the change wouldnt really cost that much to do plus technicaly the track wouldnt need changing.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Luviico

Even when the flume got a retheme I can't say it added much to the attraction. It probably made it appeal more to the younger rider but still, seeing as the route the baths go around hasn't changed, it's beginning to seem a little old and tired. Nowadays I usually miss the flume out on visits to the park, the same as the river rapids which I feel have become incredibly tame. I feel the flume should go and be replaced by a better water attraction. Seeing as there is plenty of room available in that area maybe a future idea for a new secret weapon? Now that is something that would really excite me. A world first water ride! It would be nice to see Alton go off in a different direction where thrill rides are concerned  :)
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
sweedish2009

There's only so many times you can re-theme a ride. Or as my personal favorite goes.....

"You can't polish a turd"

The whole bathtub re-theme was what I would call a 'quick fix'. Gives the ride an extra 10 years life. However it is getting to the point where I feel the park is really missing a world class water ride. We may live in rainy, miserable England, but we still deserve a water ride on par with some of Americas beasts! Look at River Quest at Phantasialand!

If 'zi Germans' can have a blinding water ride, so can we! :firebounce:
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
altontowers101

Personally i think they should keep the flume as it is, because i haven't been on many flume rides like it, BUT they should give it a major revamp like a repaint and more theming.
Boz

They have already done that and, relatively speaking, it wasn't that long ago. The thing is past it's use by date and needs to be replaced, it is over 30 years old now after all.
I'm not saying I hate the ride, because I don't, but thing's have not been working properly on it for a long time now. When more than 50% of the ride needs refurbishing or replacing, it's best to just tear it down and start again.
Marcus

To be honest just get rid of it, it looks really gross and dirty and even if it got a 3rd re-theme (which is highly unlucky in my opinion) it will just get grotty again.
altontowerskid

I really have a soft spot for The Flume.
I'd hate to see it ripped out but in honest opinion, it probably does need too much work to be financially viable to be refurbished again. The area it covers could see something of a MUCH larger scale.