Alton Towers' 10-year development plan

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam

It doesn't look much more than a themed Spinball Whizzer though. Hardly a proper SW investment.
AstroDan

[quote=""Liam""]It doesn't look much more than a themed Spinball Whizzer though. Hardly a proper SW investment.[/quote]

Spinball Whizzer? This appears to be a medium/family-thrill coaster with innovative switchback sections, ground hugs and airtime. Certainly more than Spinball Whizzer, which was a cheap coaster, even if it doesn't at this stage look like it's going to be Nemesis level.
WillXav

OMG - That's so derogative to Spinball :P j/k

This coaster looks to be the most themed coaster in the park and even in the country. Its called a WF for a reason and it is a SW which means it will rock this shizzle good.
seanyboyuk

i think thorpe will get a 5 looping coaster in the shape of the olympic rings. its simple and relates to whats going on.
WillXav

No point in spending millions of pounds on a 1 yr investment (the Olympics are only for 1 year).
Pennywise

[quote=""seanyboyuk""]i think thorpe will get a 5 looping coaster in the shape of the olympic rings. its simple and relates to whats going on.[/quote]

Well done, you've managed to post the most off topic thing I've ever seen. :clap:
Craig

As a reminder again everyone, this topic is for Alton Towers discussion. Please go to the Merlin forum for Thorpe discussion.
deeve

I think Alton Towers will build SW6 for 2010. 2011 couple of flats maybe then a major family ride 2012 or maybe another hotel. Next major coaster i think will be either down near Gloomy and Kantanga Canyon or X sector Black Hole Tent maybe. My wish is for a Mummy Style dark coaster inside The Black Hole Tent. I feel that we should have a replacement ride in there by know. Is there foundation problems with The tent or is it cost can someone help me out here. Corky removed we get a replacement SW6 but Black Hole Tent nothing. There are plenty of good manufactures that could build a great dark ride. The Mummy is the best dark coaster i've been on at Universal Orlando. Im not saying i wont a clone of it but at least something. This would make a lovely SW7.
Jase

Urgh? What's all this about Alton Towers should have budget accommodation on Resort?
No Way!! If anything, Alton Towers should invest in exclusive accommodation to attract the big spenders during open season and if (and only if) the 365 opening fails, capitalise on perhaps, high-end conference guests.

I don't think budget accommodation goes hand-in-hand with this extended stay ethos they seem to be going for. If guests are willing to pay relatively little to stay at the resort, how much exactly do they intend to spend on ancillary products while at the resort? Yes, budget may be good for enthusiasts, but do Alton Towers actually profit heavily from large groups of Annual Pass holders visiting the resort and using discounts on this, that and the other?
While there's nothing wrong with Alton Towers having loyal guests, It's generally the family market they're raking it in from. Possibly why all the concessions, such as Retail and F&B have had investment recently.

Personally, I'd like to see massive investment in ATH if more accommodation is added, just to bring it up to a really, really high standard - possibly an increase in it's Star rating too...
CoasterCrazyChris

The thought of "budget accomodation" somewhere at the resort made me cringe a bit. We all want cheap accomodation but I feel a glorifieed camp site would lower the exclusivity of the park. More importantly its a waste of space.
deeve

Is there someone that will answer my question
WillXav

What was ur question again?

---- Post Info Added ----

All I know, is that the Coaster was left in the tent for a long time and something happened to it - coz it was spotted leaving the tent. Either sold to another park or sold for scrap.

The reason the coaster was removed because H&S or council asked for there to be a evac lift of some sort installed but they (Alton) thought it wasn't worthwhile - so they got rid of it.

As for expansion - trying wishing for 2011/2012 we might see something happen there. Not 2010 with what the SW6 Coaster costing £12M and all.

Anyone else know more or different - feel free to add :)
Sazzle

Christ I can't believe so many people are objecting to budget accomodation! Not meaning to sound patronising, but have you seen the state of the economy lately? I'm pretty sure everyone reading this post is aware of just how many people have recently lost their jobs, are currently at risk of losing their jobs, and are willingly taking pay cuts just to keep said jobs!

If one person in a family loses their job, it seriously affects the household in terms of leisure activites. Would you honestly believe a family who've had their income halved (if not completely destroyed) would be prepared to save for a ludicrously expensive stay at what is, at the end of the day, a small resort?

I accept that it may well be Towers intention to attract the wealthy to their resort, but unfortunately that's far less than the majority of the British population! I'm not even considering enthusiasts in this picture - Towers, to be quite honest, don't give a monkeys about enthusiasts in terms of the bigger picture, and why should they? There's more money out there than what we give them.

My main point is that every family in Britain, regardless of their financial situation, would love some form of escapism. Every human being on this planet would love to achieve a psychological state where the stresses of every day life simply melt away. Alton Towers Resort, IMO, holds the secret to this - I've spent many a day/weekend happily wandering around the hotels and park completely lost in the atmosphere and surroundings, not caring about what life I had waiting for me when I left those entrance gates.

Alton Towers, at the moment, have alienated a large proportion of the British population through their high prices for a resort stay - the same people who would be prepared to stay there and spend their money on other neccessities such as food and drink, should there be some kind of budget option.

There is no need for a gaudy, cheap, tacky caravan site at all as some of you seem to fear. As for reducing the exclusivity of the resort.. Hello!! What planet are you on? Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? I completely appreciate that Towers would rather focus on those with highly disposable incomes, but I feel that everyone should be given the chance to enjoy the resort, regardless of whether they're loaded or living on the breadline having saved mercilessly for months to take their children for a few nights on a magical escape.

Budget accomodation of some form, such as log cabins or something in the way of a Tipidorf (for want of a better example, Europa carry theirs off to an amazing standard), should be included in the next development plan for the sake of attracting a wider audience who would in turn spend money inside the resort at the bars and restaurants.

Exclusive.. Who are we kidding? The hotels have two bars and two restaurants.. Hardly world class, is it?
Jase

[quote=""Sazzle""]Christ I can't believe so many people are objecting to budget accomodation! Not meaning to sound patronising, but have you seen the state of the economy lately? I'm pretty sure everyone reading this post is aware of just how many people have recently lost their jobs, are currently at risk of losing their jobs, and are willingly taking pay cuts just to keep said jobs!

If one person in a family loses their job, it seriously affects the household in terms of leisure activites. Would you honestly believe a family who've had their income halved (if not completely destroyed) would be prepared to save for a ludicrously expensive stay at what is, at the end of the day, a small resort?

I accept that it may well be Towers intention to attract the wealthy to their resort, but unfortunately that's far less than the majority of the British population! I'm not even considering enthusiasts in this picture - Towers, to be quite honest, don't give a monkeys about enthusiasts in terms of the bigger picture, and why should they? There's more money out there than what we give them.

My main point is that every family in Britain, regardless of their financial situation, would love some form of escapism. Every human being on this planet would love to achieve a psychological state where the stresses of every day life simply melt away. Alton Towers Resort, IMO, holds the secret to this - I've spent many a day/weekend happily wandering around the hotels and park completely lost in the atmosphere and surroundings, not caring about what life I had waiting for me when I left those entrance gates.

Alton Towers, at the moment, have alienated a large proportion of the British population through their high prices for a resort stay - the same people who would be prepared to stay there and spend their money on other neccessities such as food and drink, should there be some kind of budget option.

There is no need for a gaudy, cheap, tacky caravan site at all as some of you seem to fear. As for reducing the exclusivity of the resort.. Hello!! What planet are you on? Were you born with a silver spoon in your mouth? I completely appreciate that Towers would rather focus on those with highly disposable incomes, but I feel that everyone should be given the chance to enjoy the resort, regardless of whether they're loaded or living on the breadline having saved mercilessly for months to take their children for a few nights on a magical escape.

Budget accomodation of some form, such as log cabins or something in the way of a Tipidorf (for want of a better example, Europa carry theirs off to an amazing standard), should be included in the next development plan for the sake of attracting a wider audience who would in turn spend money inside the resort at the bars and restaurants.

Exclusive.. Who are we kidding? The hotels have two bars and two restaurants.. Hardly world class, is it?[/quote]

You do make some valid points Sazzle, but at the end of the day, Alton Towers Resort is a business. If accommodation is built, it's going to be there for quite a long time, and this credit crunch isn't something we're going to live with for the rest of our lives. Are you suggesting that they invest millions in a budget hotel for relatively little return in their investments, just to keep people happy during the recession? - Sounds like a sound business plan to me!

Alton Towers Hotel wasn't built as a budget Hotel, neither was Splash Landings. Therefore, it kinda suggests that they've wanted a visit to be special, Disney-style!
You've got to think of the clientèle that a budget hotel would attract too - the members of this forum would be the first ones to start pulling a face if a certain class of person started invading their theme park.

We all know the reasoning behind Alton Towers pricing structure for the park, the same applies for the Hotels. Besides the vast majority of people on a budget, won't be expecting to stay on Resort, and I feel the surrounding area caters well for these people. - For example, a brand-new Premier Inn in Ashbourne, surely they're riding on the back of the proximity to the Resort.
AstroDan

A red-indian style Tipi Village would be marvellous at Europa-Park. Tents, Log Cabins, Chuck Wagons - a salloon bar for breakfast and evening meals, an acoustic guitar player live in the evenings...

Marveollous
Sazzle

You mean chavs? They decend on the park every day of the open season - all money is good money to a company, so why should this particular segment of class be excluded from spending what money they have on staying at the resort, if they so wish?

Regardless of the recession, there will always be those in low paid jobs through no fault of their own - having a low paid job is better than having no job at all. Single parent families and disabled parent families will also always exist - you don't see them flashing the cash, do you? But still, I guarantee that those families would love to escape to ATR given half the chance and a decent budget hotel/holiday village option.

Towers have the space and landscape to enable them to conceptualise some form of holiday village, whatever the theme. It needn't be tacky, cheap or nasty and it also needn't be right beside the current hotels. I don't argue the fact that nearby B&Bs, hotels and camp sites make their living from Towers' lack of budget facilities, but should this money-making company really be thinking about lining other people's pockets in this way?
Satch

I think Saz has made some very good points there. I entirely disagree with the current hotels being anywhere near being a Disney style investment, and nor do I see why it should dictate any future investment.

The star rating of accommodation does not have to set the scene for what will come. It seems that people believe budget accommodation means an army of Butlins redcoats or the like.

But thats not true. I wouldnt be able to visit European parks if they did not have a variety of accommodation. and it is entirely my prerogative as to what I choose. I choose the Tipidorf over the hotels at Europa park, and the same for other parks. But that does not stop other clientele from choosing the much more expensive accommodation, and all have an equally good time

Any business like this would be a failure to provide for the elite only
evil cod

[quote=""Jase""]Alton Towers Hotel wasn't built as a budget Hotel, neither was Splash Landings. Therefore, it kinda suggests that they've wanted a visit to be special, Disney-style![/quote]

Disney style??
Cheyenne, Santa Fe and Davey Crockets ranch!
All budget accomodation with prices going down to as little as afew quid when bought with park tickets in quiet season.
Jase

Any business like this would be a failure to provide for the elite only
What? Where do you get that kind of idea from? The hospitality industry, which include the Alton Towers Hotels, caters massively for the 'elite'.

I'm not saying ban chavs from the Resort, I'm saying that business wise, It would make sense to not use Budget accommodation, as they'd clearly make more money catering for guests with more disposable income!

Yes, all money is good money, but Alton Towers want to make as much money out of their product as possible!

I clearly never said that the Alton Towers Hotels are on par with Disney - they just have pretty much the same business values, that they're supposed to be more special than kipping in a Travelodge, and that's why they can charge what they want. Alton Towers don't just offer high standards of customer service in their accommodation for the sheer hell of it, it's part of the product that they're selling!

Also, What the hell have Butlins Redcoats got to do with Budget accommodation? - Personally, I was thinking more along the lines of Santa Fe at Disneyland, I've stayed in better Britannia Hotels. - Alton Towers doesn't have the pulling factor of Europa Park or Disney to invest in budget accommodation as of yet over a higher standard, that's going to bring them substantial profits.

I think some people need to take their enthusiast hats off for a second and think about what other money making possibilities this investment will spur.

Besides, doesn't Alton Towers charge about the same for a stay in ATH, that Disney charge for Cheyenne?
evil cod

At current prices, on a very quiet period (but this is park still fully open remember) based on 4 sharing a room Santa Fe is £78.50 per adult including a 2 day ticket which is priced at £76 currently. If you can get Alton hotels for £2.50 per adult at any time when parks are open id be very impressed or even when parks are closed for that matter.

Cheyenne on a very quiet period works out at £81.50 per adult based on 4 sharing a room, again including £76 worth of tickets. Works out at £5.50 each for the room.

Even at the very peak times which dont appear on the calender very often Cheyenne works out at £36 per adult for the room, which is cheaper than AT's busiest days.