Alton Towers' 10-year development plan

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
stretchy

The feeling I get is that towers are focussing on corporate fillings of their hotels during the winter months rather than tourists. I'm not sure though that this is the right way forward. I can see the new hotel adding to this corporate approach with a reasonably sized exhibition centre.

I loved the motion of that dark ride that Johno so kindly linked to on page 3. That would fit so well as a Safari ride within KK.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
scruffy_

Im liking the log cabins centre parcs kinda resort idea, its something i would definatley consider going to in the cold winter months or even the summer! would definatley make a 3 day trip worthwile then because the park,waterpark and other activities
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""notts nat""]Maybe change the flume to a pirate theme to link in with mutiny bay and for it to actually have a storyline to it . Also RMT can't go because it still looks good and works ok just needs a bit of TLC . As for ripsaw maybe get a new one and make it waterproof before they start sticking it in the water fountains ? Blade maybe a replacement and then put into mutiny bay somewhere as a bigger version of heave ho ?[/quote]

I doubt the current flume will ever see the day it gets a new theme
Jase

1) First of all i think they have to advertise better
How about actually producing a decent sized brochure for a start? Something along the lines of what Disneyland Resort Paris produce that's distributed to travel agencies around the UK.

Although this might possibly be a bit too extreme for Alton Towers Resort alone, maybe Merlin Entertainments could produce a brochure for the whole of the group?
Joe Koopa

I know that there's probably loads of topics like this and it will most likely end up getting merged with the existing Alton's 10 years development plan topic. Anyway, now it's compleltly confirmed, what would you like to see in the next 10 years.
Here's mine-

2010-The construction of Secret Weapon 6 in new area, Lost Gardens. The area also includes Hex, Banshee (rita's re-theme) and a new top-spin themed to the chained oak breaking from it's chains and tormenting you. And finally, Air finally gets it's oasis in new area, Oasis.

2011-The removal of The Flume. :(
It's replacement would be a water coaster in Katanga Canyon themed to an african boat trip that goes wrong, the roller-coaster section could be in the woods and the existing drop will be in roughly the same place. The line will be re-routed to close to the entrance of Katanga Canyon.

2012-Katanga Canyon expanded into Gloomy Wood where things get sinster and you enter an African tribal camp. The Duel is completly gone and replaced with a shooting ride themed to an African Curse, that's quite simular to Tomb Blaster at CWOA.

2013-X-Sector re-vamp. Black Hole tent is removed and replaced with a futuristic building holding a custom 4D Cinema about space-travel that goes wrong with a very sinster theme. Submission & Enterprise removed and replaced with a huss frisbee.

2014-Adventure Land is expanded to Storybook Land and re-themed to Chesnut Wood, The Beastie is removed for the start of the line to a new roller-coaster, which is a standard family-coaster. Spinball Wizzer is re-themed into Spinning Spider and painted a black.

2015-The 3rd hotel is built and themed to something quite romantic, therefore the most adult-oriented hotel room. This is to celbrate 35 years of Alton Towers.
There is also a new entertainment centre with bowling alley, arcade and children's show. KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King is built outside the park.

2016-The Blade is moved to Mutiny Bay next to The Flume's former queue line. It is re-named The Black Pearl.

2017-Secret Weapon Seven is built in new area, Wild, Wild West. It is a small but heavily themed area taking up Coaster Corner's former space. SW7 is a wooden coaster called The Bandit it runs around a rocky structure and is mostly inside to restrict noise

2018-A camp-site is built around the back of Forbidden Valley. It can have caravans and tents.

2019-The Rattler, a wild-mouse simular to Rattlesnake at CWOA is built in Wild, Wild West.

2020-The park celebrates it's 40th year with it's 4th hotel. It is called Hotel Of Fun and has an extremly quirky theme along with an indoor play-area.

What do you think of my ideas? :)
And what are yours? :)

AstroDan

Indeed, I merged it :P . However, I too was thinking of posting "my 10 year plan" based on what I feel the park needs to do, and what they can realistically achieve with a lot of strings attached and no doubt limited funds. This would include 2 major SW-scale rollercoasters, a smaller scale enclosed rollercoaster, a junior rollercoaster plus a number of support rides, infrastructure improvements, resort expansions and catering improvements. This would be in addition to ongong refurbishments to Splash Landings, Alton Towers Hotel land of course, the theme park rides and attractions.

2009 (££) c£5m
Cred Street refurbishment
Sea Life Aquarium
Monorail refurbishment (completion)
Skyride refurbishment (Phase 1: Gondola's)
Pizza Pasta catering units

2010 (£££) c£14m
Secret Weapon 6 rollercoaster
Ug Land & Rita re-theme (phase 1)
Skyride refurbishment (Phase 2: Main drive & Cred St. stations)

2011 (££) c£3m
Family flat ride (Ug Land) and Ug Land re-theme (phase 2)
Cariba Creek new water ride
Black Hole Tent: Acrobatics/Visual effects show

2012 (£) c£1.5m
Blade replacement
Burger King replacement with in-house outlets

2013 (£££) c£15-20m
NEW lower budget accommodation (Hotel/Log Cabin park etc.) & bar/restaurant
Beastie replacement: Mack Young Star coaster

2014 (££) c£4m
The Flume replaced with modern equivalent on same site. Themed to Mutiny Bay

2015 (£) c £1.5m
Towers Street refurbishment
Frog Hopper replacement

2016 (£££) c£15-18m
New Entertainments centre for Resort.
Black Hole Tent: New enclosed rollercoaster

2017 (£) c£2m
Duel refurbishment / internal and external theming improved.

2018 (££) c£5m
New Waterslide and extension for Cariba Creek

2019 (£££) c£15-20m
Park extenstion beyond Air. New Major rollercoaster (SW7) and themed area. Or, should Nemesis need replacing by this stage, consider a replacement for Nemesis. :shock:
Joe Koopa

Good ideas. I thought it would get merged esspecally since no-one replied as well. :lol:
Your ideas also seem financally better than mine. :)
WillXav

2010: Dark Forest £15M
SW6 Coaster (£12M)
4-pairs of Roboarms called Wild Vines (£2M)
Banshee, a re-themed Intamin Rocket Coaster (£1M)

2011: X-Sector Refurbishment £9M
Oblivion with re-added effects (500k)
Mondial Topscan (2M)
New Enterprise (1.5M)
E-Motion coaster (BHT) (5M)

*The Flume is removed and ground-work begins for a new SW coaster.

2012: Mutiny Bay Expansion £10.2M
Shipwreck Falls, a new Water coaster (Mutiny Bay) (£10M)
The Blade relocated to Mutiny Bay named Ghostly Galleons. (£200K)

2013: The Oasis £5M
Mack Log flume (£3M)
Topple Tower (£2M)

*3rd hotel & Water Park Expansion (£14M)
*Preparations are made in Coaster Corner.

2014: The Beast's Lair £10M
The Beast, a Wooden Coaster in Coaster Corner

*Preparations are made to combine Gloomy Wood into Katanga Canyon.

2015: Katanga Canyon £3M
Re-themed Laser Battle in the form of Voodoo spirits (£1M) KC
HUSS Jump (£2M) in Katanga Canyon

*£15 million relief road & The Ropers mysteriopusly disappear PRICELESS

2016: Replacement Coaster £8M + 2 flats £4M
B&M Inverted Coaster Nemesis’ Revenge - same layout w/ Immelman loop
Shredder, a gyro-swing (Blade space) £2M in FV
Ripsaw replaced by a suspended topspin £2M in FV

2017: Adventure Land combined into Storybook Land (£4M)
Re-theming (£500K)
Spinball is themed to a Spooky Spider in the woods (£500K)
Young Mackstar is added replacing Beastie (£3M)

*Preparations are made for a new coaster.

2018: Tormented Village £16M

Drop tower (£2M)
Vekoma Pandora’s box (£2M)
Reaper: The Encounter, a 5-inversion floorless coaster with a 30-second dark-ride section lasting a total of 2.10 minutes. (£12M)

*An accident (where nobody was injured or hurt) on Oblivion causes the entire area to be re-done and all rides removed. The cause of the coaster was age and Oblivion has been removed and sold for scrap!

2019/2020: X-Sector has been closed and all rides have been removed due to the accident. The two flat rides have been removed (untouched) into the warehouses to await its return. Extensive work is done in X-Sector and a replacement coaster has been confirmed for 2020. £4M Removal Work

2020: X-Sector expanded and returns with Signature Coaster Oblivion which is reborn into a Floorless Dive Coaster with a total height of 70ft (previously 65ft) at 90 degrees with a 200ft drop. The coaster contains 3-inversions (Immelman/ Zero-G Roll/Dive). £16M + £4M = £20 MILLION
AstroDan

Very nice, but financially impossible! You have got 8 coasters in 10 years!

:P
SAM93

OMG, that would be amazing if it were possible.

Just out of curiosity where would "The Oasis" and "Tormented Village" areas be located? Also where would the Immelman be placed on Nemesis Revenge? I asume Oblivion Reborn would use the same hole, but how would the rest of the layout fit in - what order from element to element etc.
WillXav

I will probably evaluate it and post it with proper corrections

The Oasis is where AIR is - that section of carpark that everyone has been talking about. Alton were apparently going to give AIR its own area once.

As for Tormented Village - where as possible there is a large section of land.

FV:

The Immelman Loop could go where the climbing wall is. They (theoretically) would be replacing the coaster but keeping the layout so it would wherever possible. And since the flats are being installed suited around the coaster it wouldn't matter.

X-Sector:

You wouldn't know because the whole of X-Sector would be changed. The station, lift hill and drop would be where it was before. Where the over-banked turn is, the immelman loop would be there.

The twist of the loop would be facing opposite the lifthill, the track would go into an Immelman Turn* and it would carry on to the top-right section (assuming the lifthill & station on the left with the first loop bottom right) into a Dive Loop.

The Dive Loop would sharpy curve downwards along (horizontally to the left) till it passed Submission (old position) and rise upwards and goes into a helix (on the right) and cross over the track into the brake run.

After the Immelman turn, it would carry
Last edited by WillXav on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAM93

That would be great cloud you do that for Nemesis Revenge, Reaper, The Beast and the water coaster if thats possible please.

I love your ideas btw, you have such a vivid imagination :clap:
WillXav

Nemesis would have the old layout but its location would be different since the topspin would be replaced and the blade gone to Mutiny Bay. You could put instead put the lifthill where it was originally, it would turn and come downwards into its first corkscrew.

After it would downwards under the monorail and into a immelman loop which is located where the queueline of Ripsaw is. Then it would turn left around into the zero-g roll and follow course as normal.

-----------------------------------

The station for the water coaster would be where it is now for the flume with the big drop where the flume's current drop is now because that is the highest point for the coaster. It would have a first lifthill with a drop into the coaster section which is a figure of 8 helix and curves downwards tightly into a water splash. It would meander through the wood and rise upwards and fall into a in-the-dark splash.

It would make one final bend before it rises into the final lifthill and makes its big splash.
Hardstlye

I seriously think nemesis will never go, when the track becomes too old and is faulting ect.. they will just replace it with new track.

B&M inverts will never grow old and nemesis is possibly the most unique, so i dont think it will ever go.

I see the Flume being replaced with a water coaster, with a indoor section, where a battle takes place, with a big stranded ship firing at the boats, making massive splashes near to the track, within the near future, maybe 2-3 years. It will be themed to fit i.n with mutiny bay, possibly being called Armada.

Then i dont think we shall see that much for another 5 years or so.. The only biggish thing will be the black hole tent having a Gerstualer coaster inside it.

Having little for so long again will then be rewarded with a new big coaster, the one we have all been waiting for, the woodie. Which will give us, great airtime and lots of thrills.
Liam

Surely after this 2010 coaster the focus will be on opening a major ride for 2012? This will enable them to capitalise on the focus on the UK during the Olympics which normally spins off a lot of interest in the wider country and things to do there.
Johno

Yeah with the Olympics I do wonder.

Thorpe could be the one that benefits more, however Alton is still seen as the UK's number one: so perhaps they could capitalise on it more.

I do wonder why Merlin never advertise AT as the 'UK's Best Theme Park Resort'
WillXav

Because they don't need to advertise it as we all know. It's common sense like bend when lifting or use protection to not get STDs or look both ways before crossing the road.

Thorpe Park will capitalise on the 2012 olympics.

2010/2011 New Coaster
2012/2013 New Coaster

Thorpe will have a new major coaster for 2011 and they could get another one out for 2012 like they did with Nemesis Inferno.

Instead of a roboarm we could have 2 pairs of topscans
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""elementist""]Because they don't need to advertise it as we all know. It's common sense like bend when lifting or use protection to not get STDs or look both ways before crossing the road.

2010/2011 New Coaster
2012/2013 New Coaster

Thorpe will have a new major coaster for 2011 and they could get another one out for 2012 like they did with Nemesis Inferno.

Instead of a roboarm we could have 2 pairs of topscans[/quote]

Don't you think they will proritise other attractions first before adding more coasters?
Like more for the family?
Craig

[quote=""elementist""]Because they don't need to advertise it as we all know. It's common sense like bend when lifting or use protection to not get STDs or look both ways before crossing the road.

2010/2011 New Coaster
2012/2013 New Coaster

Instead of a roboarm we could have 2 pairs of topscans[/quote]

Umm this is a topic for Alton's 10 year plan not Thorpe's :D
Hardstlye

It would be nice to see another big investment in 2012 for the olympics.

I dont see it happening though to be honest, alton tends to get a new coaster every 4-5 years, and with sw6 being built now, i dont see it.