Alton Towers' 10-year development plan

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Hardstlye

In terms of the log flume replacment i would like to see something like ripsaw falls at IOA. I know we wouldnt get the themeing of that standard, but the ride itself would be do-able.
An expansion of the gloomy wood could be done, maybe seeing a new coaster with a few flats.

Im not to sure about the black hole tent. Does anyone know the amount of area in which the whole site including Q line ?
Johno

Personally, I can see 2010's new area bringing about the end to Duel.

Then, I'd love to see something like: [url=http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/index.php? ... &Itemid=36" target="_blank]http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/index.php? ... &Itemid=36[/url] replace it, as an extension to katanga.

Rapids updated, perhaps with a drop, and a new runaway mine train (Youngstar).
Michaél

[quote=""Johno""]
Then, I'd love to see something like: [url=http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/index.php? ... &Itemid=36" target="_blank]http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/index.php? ... &Itemid=36[/url] replace it, as an extension to katanga.
[/quote]

I would love to see an Intamin MultiMotion Dark Ride. I also agree with you on the fact that something like that should go into Katanga Canyon due to the theming of the rapids.

I have also been thinking about a replacement for the flume i am thinking Aqua Trax?
Joe Koopa

[quote=""nemesiscrazy""][quote=""Johno""]
[/quote]

I would love to see an Intamin MultiMotion Dark Ride. I also agree with you on the fact that something like that should go into Katanga Canyon due to the theming of the rapids.

I have also been thinking about a replacement for the flume i am thinking Aqua Trax?[/quote]

I think the park will expand upwards to Forbidden Valley, I think we could see The Flume replaced with a water coaster with it's station being in Katanga Canyon.
That multi-motion dark ride would be a great move for the park. They could also remove Haunted Hollow and put a new ride around that area, or atleast give it some African Tribal theming and getting some pirate-theming on it's way to Mutiny Bay.
It's just an idea.
Liam

[quote=""And.""]The next step after 2010 HAS to be at least 1 or 2 dark rides.

They've stated their intent for extended season opening - possibly meaning Christmas park openings etc, but they need the rides to support it. People WILL go on the likes of Nemesis in the cold, but people also want nice warm indoor rides to enjoy too.[/quote]

That is spot on. Especially since the removal of the Black Hole. There will need to be a spate of dark rides. Theoretically it would have been far better investing in one of these than what they did to Mutiny Bay - almost the opposite thinking with the barmy decision for a soaking wet ride.
mezza

[quote=""Liam""]
Theoretically it would have been far better investing in one of these than what they did to Mutiny Bay - almost the opposite thinking with the barmy decision for a soaking wet ride.[/quote]

Battle Galleons was built on a lake. You can't build a dark ride on a lake. It would sink. Kind of makes more sense to build a wet ride on a lake.

And being one of the most visible spots at AT, which previously had a horrible PPP attraction on it, that site was well overdue for investment.

But agree - a dark ride should come soon. Though it's pleasing to see that with SW6, at least there will be some indoor coaster track at AT.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Johno

[quote=""mezza""][quote=""Liam""]
Theoretically it would have been far better investing in one of these than what they did to Mutiny Bay - almost the opposite thinking with the barmy decision for a soaking wet ride.[/quote]

Battle Galleons was built on a lake. You can't build a dark ride on a lake. It would sink. Kind of makes more sense to build a wet ride on a lake.

And being one of the most visible spots at AT, which previously had a horrible PPP attraction on it, that site was well overdue for investment.

But agree - a dark ride should come soon. Though it's pleasing to see that with SW6, at least there will be some indoor coaster track at AT.[/quote]

The point was being made, that a water ride was a bad idea in a colder climate.
Jase

[quote=""Liam""]
That is spot on. Especially since the removal of the Black Hole. There will need to be a spate of dark rides. Theoretically it would have been far better investing in one of these than what they did to Mutiny Bay - almost the opposite thinking with the barmy decision for a soaking wet ride.[/quote]

Exactly! What kind of crazy idea would it be to open the Park 365 and run Battle Galleons through minus temperature, even so how bad does it look when rides are closed on a full park opening? It's great in the Summer, but something needs to be added during the Winter to make it more accessible.

I'd really like to see the crappy guns removed from Duel, give it a decent storyline and a major multi-million pound facelift... Something that would really out do Haunted Mansion at Disney!
AstroDan

With all due respect, most parks have rides closed during quieter periods. Disney can get away with their rolling maintainence programme because the majority of their rides are indoor, wheras parks such as Europa-Park and Phantasialand close rides such as RiverQuest, Poseidon etc. which are great rides, but too wet for Winter.
deeve

Alton Towers needs to have some major investments. A list of rides that need outing.

1. The Blade
2. Submission
3. Ripsaw
4. Runaway Mine Train
5. Log Flume

Incoming

1. SW 6
2. Indoor Coaster SW7(Black Hole Tent)
3. Verkoma Family Coaster (Kantanga Canyon/Gloomy Wood)
4. New Flat Forbidden Valley
5. A world class water ride

Anything short of this a dissaster.
Skumfidus

A disaster? I don't think you could profess to know what would or wouldn't be a disaster for the park!! Personally I don't think that not installing a Vekoma family coaster would be a disaster, more like genius!

The development team at Alton Towers know the park, the market, the budget and time frames much better then anyone who isn't working in development for the park, and probably have a plethora of ideas that are non-disastrous for the park, instead of the 5 vague ideas you've put forward!

Runaway Mine Train and Ripsaw will be removed when they die a horrible and painful death, they pull too many crowds, with RMT being the best example of a powered family Rollercoaster in the country and ripsaw being a firm favourite with riders and spectators alike! RMT is still going strong, and will for some time, it's been getting a lot of attention recently!
AstroDan

[quote=""deeve""]Alton Towers needs to have some major investments. A list of rides that need outing.

1. The Blade
2. Submission
3. Ripsaw
4. Runaway Mine Train
5. Log Flume
[/quote]

The Blade - needs replacing with a new equivalent as it's knackered.
Submission - OK, it's poor, but looks OK and isn't in dire need of replacement yet (there are more important things)
Ripsaw - Gets as many spectators as it does riders, plus is quite well themed.
RMT - Super ride!
Flume - very popular, even if could do with a re-theme.

:)
Khanage

I must admit the Blade does need replacing but only with a newer model. Pirate Ship rides are a must for any park and they are insanely fun but when they are working to the best of there ability they are at their best. Faster to reach it's peak and that peak is much higher. The worst example I have been on recently isn't The Blade but the Pirate Ship at PWH - I would hope The Blade doesn't ever get as bad as that.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

CoasterCrazyChris

I can't see anything wrong with th RMT, its in good condition and is a firm fav for all.
I disagree with a new rollercoaster in the BH area, this should be put aside or a dark ride.
Many people are coming up with new ideas of where all these different coasters could be crammed in when these areas could be used for a different selection of rides.
Both water rides in the park are average and minimal, for a park like AT they are not keepng up with the times and they are not the parks highlights, particularly the flume.
James B

Out of all the listed rides I think only the flume and blade need replacing.

The flume, as fun as it is, is way out of date in terms of current water rides. I think a water ride similar to that at Terra Mitica (The name escapes me right now) is needed.
notts nat

Maybe change the flume to a pirate theme to link in with mutiny bay and for it to actually have a storyline to it . Also RMT can't go because it still looks good and works ok just needs a bit of TLC . As for ripsaw maybe get a new one and make it waterproof before they start sticking it in the water fountains ? Blade maybe a replacement and then put into mutiny bay somewhere as a bigger version of heave ho ?
Hardstlye

I think in altons 10 year plan we shall see 2 major new coasters, which we have seen one already in sw6.

Also, i think a big investment will be made in the gloomy wood. Im not sure how much room they have to use in their, but i would like to see a small scale compact coaster with some nice themeing.

I would like to see a water coaster replace the flume, but i cant see it happening.

Imagine if alton went crazy and built us something like journey to atlantis, but on a smaller scale, that would be a dream.
Ash

I think Alton have very few priorities at the moment. Id say there main priorities are:

1) How to fill the hotels all year round
2) How to provide enough so people stay for a 3+ days not just a weekend
3) How to change peoples views of Alton Towers as a day attraction to a all year round resort.

Everything else is just a secondary issue as far as im concerned. Ok so lets consider how they will fill the hotels all year round.

1) First of all i think they have to advertise better, this needs to be when people are at the resort and when there not. Ways to reach people when there not at the resort are pretty much one of 3 ways.

Media (television, radio, newspapers)
Packages sent to customers who have already stayed at the resort
Email/Newsletter sign up.

Media : I would begin by increasing TV ads at the start of the main season, showing off the entire resort as a whole. Continuing the magical "Come and stay at the Alton Towers Resort" theme as was done in 2008. Then during Scarefest fortnight I would run special TV ads 2 weeks before that started.

For smaller Summer events etc I would use some national newspapers, again advertising the hotels, perhaps special summer deals something of that nature. Also if possible I would get it in all major newspapers, on Blue Peter, Breakfast Shows all making a big fuss about the opening of Alton Towers. Something which doesnt happen much any more. I know this takes away the idea of an all year round attraction but it can still become an annual event.

Packages: First of all I would get in contact with people on the mailing list who have stayed at the Hotels before, and if Alton arent collecting this data then i would start doing so sharpish. Alton Towers should thrive on repeat business so offering those who have stayed before or often special deals will more than often entice them back and go a long way to fill the hotels in those quiet winter months.

I would also send offers perhaps 4 times a year (Start, Summer, Scarefest, Winter) to those who havent stopped at the resort before, perhaps if Alton started collecting addresses by flyering peoples cars. I know they do this already but I think for the wrong reasons. Surveys are usually filled in if someone has had either a bad day or an outstanding day, so dont show a proper view of peoples opinions.

Emails would work very much in the same way as above, 4 times a year with the first outlining events for the year and the other 3 being more direct.

Advertising when at the resort:
So someone arrives at Alton Towers, the first great thing they will notice is the new sign, looks brilliant works perfectly. But i think this brings up another issue that this main entrance should be used all the time for normal customers visiting the park hotels etc, I dont want to feel as though im taking a back entrance to somewhere ive paid a lot of money to visit.

I would also construct billboards on the main corner at the top of the main straight entering and leaving the park, where the first set of traffic lights are. This is visible entering and leaving the park and think its visible to every car the arrives each year.

Also on the back of the park map id advertise Events/Hotels/Resort each having its own panel dedicated to showing offers, future events etc etc.

The monorail audio advertising is another fantastic way to advertise to all those coming and going from the park. But also during opening week, and 4 other busiest weeks of the year I would advertise scarefest/winter events by making welcome guests give out flyers at the end of the start of the day. This would be a calendar of events for people to watch out for throughout the year and show what else is at the resort.

I believe all of these additional ways of advertising along with providing an excellent experience for the customer all will cause repeat custom, excellent reviews and hopefully a good vibe spreading via word of mouth about the resort as a whole.

2) As many know there isnt enough for people to do at the Alton Towers resort to justify a prolonged stay, there are only so many times you can go for a swim, a spa treatment, watch a show or play minature golf when its open.

To begin with I would improve the road heads to the hotels by widening it and giving better lighting. I would also move the resort station of the monorail further past the Alton Towers hotel so people have to look at it when leaving or entering the park via the monorail. This is another form of advertising showing exactly what is on offer.

I would then construct a large tented buidling on the car park next to the minature golf that would contain a bowling alley, cinema screen, a bar/nighclub, 2 restaurants, main and smaller show area and several shops.

This would increase options to those staying in the resort who currently have very few options in choices to eat or drink and also would be highly visible from the monorail. All of these options during quieter periods could be run at reduced capacity and offer future expansion and all year long/all weather useage.

Then i would create a covered walk way which is well lit and contains music and posters that runs from the right hand side of the entrance plaza, all the way to where this new resort area is and then connecting all the accomidation and new monorail station location. This could have some quirky name and be offered as a green alternative to the monorail and also mean people will use it even when dark knwoing full well there safe and being observed by cctv.

Next would be to construct a "Resort Car Park" that would be next to the large tent building. This would be multi storey and would have a bus that would run between itself and the hotels. This would help people moving luggage and provide good customer service.

Next to ATH I would build a 5* hotel with features such as tennis courts, normal swimming pool. Then following an arc around the monorail station I would build a chalet/villa village with various sizes and cost from cheap and cheerfull to ones with jacuzzis etc.

Then again round from here I would provide a small caravan and camping site with a reception, shop etc.

All of these locations would be connected via a covered walk way that connects all the hotels and accomidation, golf, resort area, monorail, theme park and car parks.

Once this is done I would believe the land Alton Towers have would be near reaching capacity, until agreements were made to expand.

To support all this I would run dedicated buses for customers from local major train stations and also improve the road network inside Alton itself.

I would also create a larger winter and new year events so everything is full and also during the main season and off season I would open the park at reduced capacity friday, saturday, and sunday. Perhaps opening one half post Scarefest (October, November, December) and then the other half (January, February, March) allowing all servicing of rides to take place.

Theres a few other ideas that may work such as late night water/laser/light shows on the lake infront of the towers at 8 O clock to keep people in the park later, eventually aiming for an all year round 9 O clock closing time.

but thats another story :)

3) Sort of included in everything!

I know the text doesnt it make it particularly clear so if anyone was skilled enough or would like to just for the sake of it able to do some drawings (i know there are some very skilled artists on here) im sure others may appreciate it, as long as you understand my "vision" :roll:

Stuff i didnt know where to write it in :
- Have resort reps in both hotels answering whats going on in the resort, local area etc.
- Make mini buses and buses park on the bottom VIP car park, so they can leave the park quicker and easier
- Create another exit for the park near FV Open 1 hour before ride close, makes people walk into a resort area.
- Relocate the ice rink to the hotels if its still there
- Make everything easily available to hotel guests and normal customers
Last edited by Ash on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave

And you expect me to read all that? lol

Agree with first 6 lines lol
Wes

The Resort doesn't offer enough to make it more than a nights stay with a day on the park. Thats as simple as it gets.

They can't offer the same as Resorts in Europe or the US because of the our weather climate. However, they need to focus of the British for short breaks away similar to Center Parcs.

We all know an entertainments complex would be ideal. However, I think something similar to the O2 arena in London would be the way forward.

Also - They need to utlise the countryside. There are so many walks, biking routes all around the resort - without a doubt the resort could make some money out of these? (bike hires etc)

I'm sure this 10 year development plan will make or break the resort.