Alton Towers' 10-year development plan

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Sanbrooke Productions

From todays Sentinel [url=http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/le ... ticle.html" target="_blank]http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/le ... ticle.html[/url]
ALTON Towers is considering building a third hotel as part of a multi-million pound, 10-year plan to consolidate the resort's position as the country's number one theme park.

Parent company Merlin Entertainments is to outline the proposals to the district council within the next two months.

The blueprint will include a substantial investment in new rides, infrastructure and heritage features, as well as the provision of further on-site accommodation.

The resort is currently responsible for 2,900 jobs – and £38 million of income – in the local economy.

A third hotel would provide a major jobs boost for the area.
Click here for more

Alton Towers took on 240 staff to run Splash Landings when that hotel opened in 2003.

At present, a total of 1,594 guests can be accommodated on-site every night, in the 13-year-old 175-room Alton Towers Hotel and at Splash Landings itself, which has 216-rooms and also features an indoor water park.

Alton Towers' corporate communications manager Liz Greenwood said: "We have conducted a very detailed economic impact survey which looks at how our business affects those around us and the wider district and county.

"Over the next 10 years, many millions of pounds will be invested in the resort – on its infrastructure, rides, attractions, heritage, the house and peripheral activities, as well as further accommodation."

Ms Greenwood added: "Ten per cent of our total guests spend the night with us, which means there is a huge marketing opportunity for local accommodation providers to tap into.

"During the winter months we deal with conference and trade bookings, meaning both hotels are currently fully booked all year round, not only when the resort is open.

"We are trying to reposition ourselves from a teenage market to cater for families.

"In trying to encourage families to stay for longer, there is a need to provide further accommodation of some kind."

Ms Greenwood said the resort would seek to do more than just erect "world class" roller-coasters – such as the Corkscrew's replacement for 2010, "Secret Weapon Six" – to entice thrill-seekers from all over the UK.

She said: "In 2008, we worked extremely hard to attract families and we were very successful – growing in this sector from 35 per cent to 50 per cent of our total volume.

"Now, 75 per cent of our rides and attractions are suitable for children under 10."

Alton Towers attracted around 2.5 million visitors last year – accounting for approximately half of all visitor trips to the Moorlands – and it is hoped that it will be able to repeat its success this season.

Ms Greenwood said: "It is quite difficult to make a judgement yet but early indications are good and we are cautiously optimistic.

"With the credit crunch, we believe more British people are staying in the UK and visiting attractions which offer value for money, for which Alton Towers has a very good reputation and also offers a fantastic experience.

"And even though we don't pro-actively market ourselves abroad, the relative strength of the euro against the pound may mean more European visitors are coming to the area as a whole."

Liz Bradley, owner of Chained Oak bed and breakfast, in Farley Lane, Alton, reckoned that her appeal to a different clientele would mean an additional hotel would not cause too much disruption.

She said: "We get a lot of passing trade and if Alton Towers can keep encouraging customers to the Staffordshire Moorlands, we should be OK.

"But I'm afraid a further hotel could really have an impact on bed and breakfasts further outside the village."

The chairman of Alton Parish Council, Tony Moult, said he remained cautious on how any future development would effect smaller businesses.

He said: "I don't think those running bed and breakfasts would be too happy with the idea of competition from a third hotel.

"There is a lot of room for investment Alton Towers could make in the village, such as pedestrian crossings, which I hope can be included in their 10-year plan."
Sounds Good :D
And.

Liz Bradley, owner of Chained Oak bed and breakfast, in Farley Lane, Alton, reckoned that her appeal to a different clientele would mean an additional hotel would not cause too much disruption.

She said: "We get a lot of passing trade and if Alton Towers can keep encouraging customers to the Staffordshire Moorlands, we should be OK.

"But I'm afraid a further hotel could really have an impact on bed and breakfasts further outside the village."

The chairman of Alton Parish Council, Tony Moult, said he remained cautious on how any future development would effect smaller businesses.

He said: "I don't think those running bed and breakfasts would be too happy with the idea of competition from a third hotel.
That quote shows just how much Alton Parish Council and Tony Moult are out of touch with the vast majority of the residents.

Here, we have a B&B owner saying they would welcome the development of a third hotel as it would create more visitors and passing trade.

And Tony Moult is just pissing all over the fire, yet again.

Edit:

Does Alton Parish Council just not understand how extremely important Alton Towers is to the Staffordshire Moorlands economy? Hundreds of jobs, millions of pounds, millions of visitors.

It's just a continual face-palm slam your head on the desk moment when you hear anything that comes out of those old fuddy-duddies. :roll:
Jon

Any investment in the resort will bring more visitors to the local area anyway. Even if they build a third hotel for guests to stay in, the added attraction and marketing of the hotel and other developments will bring more guests anyway, so the effect would balance out for B+B owners.

I think its fantastic that they are building a third hotel as, along with it, should come more resort activities, such as the entertainment complex plans, they may well come into fruition if all this goes ahead.

:D
Formerly "Dagoo"
Ash

We shall see, i wonder what agreement they will come to with the SMDC once theyve shown them all this, and i wonder why there doing it.

Planning immunity?

Shame we cant get some specifics from AT or the SMDC as to when there plans are going in, seems another trip to Leek is in order.

I imagine they will be shared with the Alton Parish too, i got in touch with them once over something AT related, helpful nice people! So [-X although they do come out with some utter rubbish at times, there are some which are nice.

Also id like say say how good were the SMDC when dealing with SW6 making recomendations regarding improving the towers not wasting £50,000 to be told "Yes theres lots of traffic"

It seems there are some logical people still out there. Also the person who i think is in charge of all the development at AT as well as being Mr Crabbe is Mark Kerrigan.

Something to bare in mind
Mankey

Oooh I like the thought of a 3rd hotel! :D Makes me wonder what new attractions they'll bring, but morely what theme it will be?! :D

I do think its good, but to be honest, living far south I hear of alot of people planning trips to AT... and most of them choose to stay at a local B&B for the nights, but then go to the hotels in the eveninings for the nightlife, to only head home later to use the pool and visit the bars etc. :D

Cheap accommodation with a nice atmosphere for the most of the evening... I think its a good idea, if anything most B&B's will benefit from this. I mean look the hotels prices, bout £500 for 2 nights am I right? Local B&B's are about £100 for 2 nights. If people have the money they will spend it, but people looking for a nice budget holiday will no doubt still visit the B&B's.
Back from hibernation!
kingda dude

what I'd like to see in this ten year plan is Oblivion re-modeled to to pulverise the likes of sheikra and Griffon into submission, with a barrel roll, a second half height drop in the woods and an immelman turn as well as several tunnel sections. Unfortunatly this is not likely to happen.

I would also like to see an aquatrax to replace the flume with a LIM laucnch followed by low relief air time hills and ground hugging turns. before a small hill into a splash zone.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
seanyboyuk

It a shame alton dont try make their money back on the 1st 2 hotels and t hen start lowering prices!

The hotels are too expensive at the moment.
jack030894

i think :

2010 : SW6
AND
RETHEMING OF RITA AND UG LAND!

2011: Flat ride in UG LAND ! ( or new themed area)
removal of spin ball whizzer from adventure Land to Gloomy wood
retheming of the flume

2012 : Removal of Enterprise
A new flat ride in x sector hopefully A Drop tower .

2013 : SW7 in Adventure Land.
And some retheming in Kangata Canyon

2014 : a 4D cinema ride in kangata Canyon ( or new themed area )

2015 : Duel To be rethemed and Gloomy Wood.

2016 : Removal of the Blade from Forbidden Valley To Mutiny Bay

2017 : SW8: iN Black Hole Tent
where the blade stood.

2018 : Worlds First Flat Ride
and Removal of Submission

2019 : Charlie And The Chocolate Factory To be removed and replaced with a new
indoor ride.

2020 : SW9 : in Forbidden Valley (Scariest Rollercoaster in the UK !
Evostance

2010 : SW6
AND
RETHEMING OF RITA AND UG LAND!
Already happening
2011: Flat ride in UG LAND ! ( or new themed area)
removal of spin ball whizzer from adventure Land to Gloomy wood
retheming of the flume
Possible flat in Dark Forest :wink: Spinball Whizzer to Gloomy Wood? Not a chance, they just need to reroute that path to X-Sector so Spinball is more included in its current area
2012 : Removal of Enterprise
A new flat ride in x sector hopefully A Drop tower .
Again not a chance. Enterprise replaced possibly, but no drop tower due to the height limits
2013 : SW7 in Adventure Land.
And some retheming in Kangata Canyon
Cant see SW7 being here. SW's are usually world firsts or massive projects going from past SW's. Adventureland doesnt have the space for the ride or the queues and attraction it would bring
2014 : a 4D cinema ride in kangata Canyon ( or new themed area )
Possible, however I cant see where they would put it. KC is a small area surrounded by CRR.
2015 : Duel To be rethemed and Gloomy Wood.
Yes, definately possible. I could see them putting a coaster in here somewhere too. Possibly SW7
2016 : Removal of the Blade from Forbidden Valley To Mutiny Bay
Too obvious. Pirate in pirate land. They already have heave ho and I dont think blade would fit
2017 : SW8: iN Black Hole Tent
A possibility, but I reckon they would scrap the tent and build a new building.

2018 : Worlds First Flat Ride
and Removal of Submission
Possible yes, Not sure how a world first flat ride would fit though
2019 : Charlie And The Chocolate Factory To be removed and replaced with a new
indoor ride.
Again 10 years from now so a definate posibilty.
2020 : SW9 : in Forbidden Valley (Scariest Rollercoaster in the UK !
I honestly can't see where they would put it. Unless they removed Nemesis, which might be done by then but I doubt it. Unless it goes behind Ripsaw?
Nightfall

Why are there so many SW's appearing in the predictions of 10 year plans? It's been 8 years since the last SW and the 10 year plan the park has produced only suggested one or two new roller coasters (including 2010). It just seems a bit optimistic having SWs appear every other paragraph.

Looking back at the last 10 years there have been 4 roller coasters but Rita and Spinball aren’t SW's. Also the Black whole and Corkscrew have been removed in that time.

The next 10 years will probably see more investment than the last but I’m not going to guess beyond the next few years as anything could happen. I personally would like to see SW7 in Gloomy Woods but then that probably contrasts to much with SW6 as I can't see the woods having a new theme (gloomy suits it).
[align=center]Image[/align]
Evostance

What Im hoping is that since Alton are going family, this means more scenery and themeing but not making the rides tame. They already have 4 major rollercoasters that are far from "Family Friendly" so theres no point in scraping these.

They just need to retheme the park and by that I dont mean, strip down everything and start from scratch, I just mean take a lesson from Orlando.

Rides with better theming, scenery, "interactive" and interesting queue lines, something that makes the park more family orientated and makes the mind imagine whats going on where it cant see things. SW6 looks like it will set this trend instead of having rides just slapped down aka Spinball.

Ride with the Theming already in place like this are rides like Duel, RMT, Nemesis, Hex, CRR (kind of) and hopefully SW6.

All the other rides could do with a overhaul to get them to family standard.
jack030894

I honestly can't see where they would put it. Unless they removed Nemesis, which might be done by then but I doubt it. Unless it goes behind Ripsaw?
Aparently Alton Towers May extend the park to make it bigger. so there is a huge possiblity. also alton towers should get rid of adventure land and the beastie and make way for sw7 and a new flat ride because theres hardly anything there ?
nickn5

I do wonder what all the land below (east of) the gardens is for, between hotels and UG Land: I had a nice long walk along a muddy track on the UG Land side of the valley, past where Swiss Cottage is, and past some impressive rocky cliff-like outcrops, and all I could see was woodland all around. Maybe it's all a conservation area... :?