The Future Of The Big Top

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Matt

Its recently occured to me how long its been since we've seen an attraction in the tent, I assume it is used for storage.
But what does the future hold for the tent, It seems pointless to keep it up if it's using up valueable space.

and does anyone know if the ice rink is still in there?

Matt
:)x
NickReid

I don't have a clue but it would be awesome if you could ice skate in there, it would be packed but alwell, might loose a finger or two ;)

xxx
Ash

Well ive always said i dont understand why it isnt moved to ATH and offered as another attraction?
jonathan leake

Good plan Ash. It would be good up at The Alton Towers Hotel atleast it would be used
amcmaster1

Is it true that they can no longer put shows in it due to noise??

If that is the case because it is such a waste just sitting there i think it would be great to move it to the resort ice rinks seem really popular at the moment due to ice dancing and it would be a great addition to the christmas breaks.

I also think a small sunken boat ride like what Tropical Travels at Thorpe Park used to be, but themed around fairy-tales/squirrels would sit really well in its place and add to storybook land which without the ice show is missing its potential to me.
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
going-up

I would like to see a dark ride. More on the lines of Toyland Tours. Something like a jouney through a magical land of fariy tales. I know its sounds a bit cheesy but I think it will work.
amcmaster1

thats a good idea i think a 'story' ride work sit quite well next to nutty squirrel
haydn!

I agree with Ash, they should have moved it to the hotels. A Ice rink would be a perfect little resort attraction.

On the topic of it still being there. I'd expect all the equipment is there, but I doubt there is still an actual ice rink in there. I'd be dissapointed if Alton Towers had kept it powered all this time going un-used!
Ash

No i dont think it is still there, full of games i think?
Big Dave

I think the ice plant and ice rink are still in there but not working. The tent is a bit worn and I think they would be better off getting a new one or even better, just make a sold structure over at the hotels
Crofty

I think moving the Ice rink to the hotels would be an obvious choice and I think there must be a genuine reason why it's not been done before.
Maybe the Rink is too small? I know it looked biggish but these were a few trained skaters using the best of the space. If the public were to use it#, it would have to be a bit bigger I suspect.
On the same point, does anyone know how big the skating area was in total and how the Rink is initially made up?

:) :)
Big Dave

The ice rink was tiny and was specially made for the webmaster show, hence how it didnt really work for any other show. The idea was to bring the skaters as close to the audience as possible yet keeping the overall size as small as possible. As for the actual size, im not overly sure, but I guess I could ask around.

What they need is not a skating complex for the public because after thinking about it, it would be hard to do in such a large resort and people are bount to try and complain that they fell over and got hurt or something daft. Instead they need to make the icerink work as a multi-purpose entertainments venue. I have seen them have and icerink and then for other shows they simply move a cover over the top of it and then it becomes a huge stage.

The possibilities nowadays are endless.
Squiggles

[quote=""Big Dave""]I think the ice plant and ice rink are still in there but not working. The tent is a bit worn and I think they would be better off getting a new one or even better, just make a sold structure over at the hotels[/quote]

It surely can't be that worn, it was new built for Webmaster in 2002.
Edwardo..... move me!
Big Dave

Lol trust me it is. It was never really put up right in the first place and one of the towers moved away from the other causing the tent to get damaged. The sides never really stayed down like they are meant to and always banged against the supports. It was a rubbish tent, that was installed incorrectly and is now in need of either loads of TLC or just ripping down.
Jase

Huh? They had a brand new tent when they got rid of Peter Rabbit on Ice? - That's interesting, I was under the impression it's stayed the same since the ice shows started on the park...
Nemair

I think he meant they got a new rink, not a new tent.
Wes

It is a newer and bigger tent.
Big Dave

Both wrong! Its a newer, smaller tent!

The icerink itself is way smaller than the old icerink. The new tent is more round, the older being a long rectangle with rounded edges.

Capacity was reduced from over 500 to around 300.
amcmaster1

Thats interesting i too thought it was the same tent used in Peter Rabbit. But what a watse of money how many season was it used like 2 - 3?

I still think mabye just a seasonal ice rink at the resort would work really well instead of using this one if it is that small.
Big Dave

I dont have any pictures of inside the old bigtop but basically the ice rink was 3 times as big has it is now and the seating went all the way around the ice rink, not just in front.

---- Post Info Added ----

Only managed to find this video on my site. It shows that the seats were all the way around the tent and if you look, you can easily fit 12 skaters on the ice back then, whereas if you look at the webmaster icerink, it is very compact.

Peter Rabbit
Webmaster