2009: Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
jonathan leake

This is going to have to look really good to impress me. Has any one seen the one at chessington? I have and the worst bit is your on the Safari Skyway you can see the back of the tent with loads of old crates and rubbish just lieing about it is dreadful for a family park or anypark for that matter to have all this on show. It just looks like someone has dumped the rubbish their. The inside is ok very plain though and would NOT fit in with Munity Bay at all.

And also i totaly agree with Kaycee Sealife centers don't have mini versions of Chessington or Alton Towers at them so why should Chessington or Alton have mini versions on Sealife centers at their parks.
Maelstrom

I don't understand what peoples issues with having a sealife centre an attaction like Alton Towers which is a place for the whole family needs rides and attactions for the whole family and a sea life centre fits that bill perfectly as not everybody likes rides and is something the whole family can enjoy and is something else the park can use to entice people to visit the resort over other visitor attractions.

At the end of the day we would all like to see big new coasters and and thrill rides each season but the park need to attacted all different groups of people, the park aren't stupid and complete their research so know what they need to add to attact guests thats part of the reason we have not seen any new thrill rides in recent years and research showed they needed kid friendly and Family rides/attactions (much like six flags are doing now). For the park to be sucessful they need all types of rides (obviusly different at thorpe, chessie and legoland being all focused on different groups and thats why they don't get as many visitors per year as Alton which has to attact all groups of people that would visit those three parks).

If the park want to be one of europes top resorts (which they want to be) they need to show they offer a complete package for all guests and value for money for all guests and an attraction like a Sealife fits the bill perfectly and expect to see more attactions like this in the furure (and same reason going to see an increase in shows and on park entertainment) if you visit some of the worlds top parks such as Disney, Universal, Bucsh parks and europes big parks it is not all about the rides, its also about lots side attactions and shows/entertainment. Plus the BBC article stated that it would be a sealife centre with an alton towers twist (likly to be pirate theming).
jonathan leake

No i think a Aquarium would be great at Alton Towers but if its anything like the one at Chessington then its a complete let down of the Sealife brand. I really quite like the Sealife centers but the one at Chessington was a complete let as it nothing like the one in Waymouth and Brighton. I do really think it could work well at the Towers but not braned as a Sealife center
Corkscrewed

riiiiiiiiiight...

The main thing I see every single time I come to the topic is "Why is Alton Getting a SEA LIFE??!! it's just commercializing the park/it's not good for thrill people/I hate it."

I'd like to point people to this page on TT. Now, up until 1994, Alton Always had an aquarium. So they're welcoming it back as a nice add on attraction for families, In Mutiny bay, in a brand new building, rather than using one which is quite small.

is this Really, a bad thing? no, it isn't. Now, who in the UK does tend to do really good Aquariums in the UK? SEA LIFE does. they just happen to also be owned by Merlin. Now why, if a company owns a string of Aquariums, would they go to another company to build one for them? in other words, why would you get someone else to change a light bulb when you can do it yourself perfectly well? you wouldn't would you. Also, anyone whois worried that it's going to end up like Chessingtons, I wouldn't be worried. Alton is in a different league to chessie, and I doubt Alton towers Management, not Merlin, would allow something that pathetic to be built on park.

Just cos it's a SEA LIFE which is mobile, doesn't mean it's going to stay mobile.

:D
Dormiens-Dave

i dont think from inside the park we will notice any real structural change there will be no dome but hey who notices it anymore.

They will probably demolish the back add a tempory type building (which wont matter as you will not be able to see it) and add an entrance through either the shop of the arcade. (possible enter where the arcade is and exit through the shop).

As long as the inside looks good and the frontage and its not over plastered with sealife logos i think it will be fine.
jamesdbradley

Ummm been a whilesince i have been on here, but has nobody seen how stunning this thing will look? May I point you all here,

Clicky

I think it will look amazing!

mwa!
AstroDan

Ooh Jolly Wow!

Looks fab from the outside it appears!

NF2

6.3 M elevation? considering the new park entrance sign is 7.1 metres as a comparison, that is a very big facade compared to what it currently isI I say at the minute it would be lucky to push 3.5m :lol:

Theming looks great aswell, it's nice to see Alton seem to have come up with an area that has a consistent theme (excluding the flume which was previously there anyway!) I really can't wait now! If those plans are anything to go by it certainly wont be the temporary attraction we all imagined :D
AstroDan

It looks like some kind of Eel on the outside, or mythological sea creature of the deep?
BIan

Wow, Im impressed with that.

Hopefully a good sign that they are going to deliver a well themed attraction.

Ian
NF2

[quote=""Cont. Yates""]It looks like some kind of Eel on the outside, or mythological sea creature of the deep?[/quote]

Looks more like Octopus tentacles to me 8) I like the way the Mutiny bay theme isn't really the stereotypical pirate theme in the sense of Peter pan and captain Hook, but is much more dark as from what I can see, Mutiny Bay is designed to look really wrecked and dilapidated. The fact it has this appearance means sea monster destruction reflects the attraction and Mutiny bay itself :D

Well done Merlin Studios :clap:
Quickey

That plan looks pretty amazing! I can’t Waite to see the inside of this now!

I am so glad that the Sea Life brand isn’t going to be so dominant on this. They will probably just have the red logo painted on those signs shown in the plan, which really won’t look that bad imo.
Sir John Talbot

Aaah. See :D You can't go wrong with this really.

Adding more great theming to a fantastic new area, diversifying the attractions available on park, consolidating brands. S'all good. I'd much rather this to a 4D attraction like what Drayton are doing. This is much more of a substantial addition that will add more to the park.
Jon

Fantastic. I think it compliments well both the generic theme of Seal Life and the amount of detail we have seen in Mutiny Bay so far, right down to the little barnacles at the bottom of the facade. I adore the Octopus! The whole sea monster theme dovetails Pirates really well, and it looks like its squeezing itself out. It should really draw attention and draw people in. I think sometimes when buildings like this look too temporary or too out-of-place, they get overlooked, as if they aren't really part of the park. The way it blends in yet looks fantastic should do the opposite. I hope what is inside will compliment it.
Formerly "Dagoo"
DomB

I've always thought the Sealife since it was said would be a great new family attraction.
And... if that is anything to go by, it looks stunning. It makes me truly beleive merlin do care a lot about theming.
As for whats actually on the facade, I see either a Giant Octopus or Kraken type creature, which makes me beleive Mutiny Bay is getting themeing ideas from the Pirates of the Caribean films.
I really do hope the planning permission gets through for this.
But I'm sure it will.
haydn!

This is starting to look impressive, I'm loving the proposed entrance!

Corkscrewed

wow. So rather than a Sea Life we're getting a Signage shop. Wonderful. :D

On a serious note, the Front does look really impressive in that artwork, I hope that in reality we get something really close to that, as it does tend to be not as impressive in reality.

AstroDan

[quote=""Corkscrewed""]

On a serious note, the Front does look really impressive in that artwork, I hope that in reality we get something really close to that, as it does tend to be not as impressive in reality.

[/quote]

Aside from Mutiny Bay, the attractions of which look very similar to the original plans.

Ash

Now this is what we hope for :)

There doing well this year, they really are.

Start of Project Dolphin anyone?
Crofty

Credit where it's due. Thats a massive improvment on anything i'd expect them to have come up with when you compare it to what they did in Chessington.
The entrance seems to stand out quite a bit so will no doubt look even better in real life.
What a crappy name for an attraction though: Signage. :lol:

I think project Dolphin is long gone Ash.

:) :)