2009: Explorers Buffet Restaurant @ Katanga Canyon

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Dean

Just thought I'd post this, as it's been reported that Pizza Hut & KFC will leaving Alton Towers at the end of 2008, to make way for the Pizza & Pasta Bars which Legoland Windsor have got.

I do hope this happens as I think this will improve food dramaticly at the resort, and I think many will be pleased with the change after poping in the one at Legoland's.
Craig

Cheers for this Dean. What are the prices like in the Legoland one and what sort of meals to they actually do? Before someone mentions, yes I know it'll be pizza and pasta :P. But, what do you get for your money basically.
Dean

Adult Pizza was £6.50 if I remember rightly, that's all I noticed.
Looked really good for the price, will be a winner!

I may pop down at the weekend, if I do i'll get some info!
Last edited by Dean on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes

This has already been posted in the Food Outlet Changes topic.
Craig

Ah yes knew I'd seen something somewhere! Well since that one's mostly about BK for 2008 and is getting a bit on the large side, I'll keep this shiny new one open for next seasons changes and additions :).
Jon

I can see Burger King seriously straining next year because it will be the only high-street chain left on the park. There are a lot of guests that will always choose a known brand over a park-owned restraunt because it's "safer". I only hope that Burger King's contract is a short one and they too will be leaving the park. It will be great if the place is turned into a "chain Free" zone.
Formerly "Dagoo"
CoasterCrazyChris

I generally don't mind Pizza Hut, but hate anything like McDonalds, Burger King and KFC, yukkie places especially when your veggie! I welcome any pizza or pasta places, obviously Merlin's plans are starting to roll out. They sound like, as they are not ''chained'' places, they could be quite nice, well if Rita's Chicken and Ribs is anything to go by... :D
Johno

The problem is that AT have got to maintain this.

Look at the Gullivers parks. They do all their own food. And all their food is crapola!

The pizza/pasta things at legoland are good, but we just bought a burger/hotdog for £2.
CoasterCrazyChris

Yeah, that could be a problem, more money and time spent on facilties instead of rides.
Talking of horrid places/food try Drayton Manor, all the places are run down and the food is poor.
haydn!

If it meant less money for the park, then Alton Towers certainly would not be abandoning the current franchises which operate on the park.

In fact, for them to have made this decision, leads me to think they will actually get considerably more from it. Why else would you drop ties with some of Britains biggest brands?
seanyboyuk

lets hope they know what they are doing i miss mc'ds
not a fan of kfc and pizza hut being there all this time to be honest.
lets hope something good comes of it maybe a good all you can eat buffet will look more attractive to families.
Kaz

Yeah, that could be a problem, more money and time spent on facilties instead of rides.
Increased revenue from food outlets = more cash = more investment!
oldgitBEN

im happy for their to be more variety at alton towers, infact I welcome it.

Am I the only person aprehensive that they can control the prices in practically all of the outlets from next year? If people are moaning about Burger King now I expect prices to go up with a bang next year. With no real competition who's to stop them?

Im remaining dubious of this for now.
BULBOUS

[quote=""oldgitBEN""] im happy for their to be more variety at alton towers, infact I welcome it.

Am I the only person aprehensive that they can control the prices in practically all of the outlets from next year? If people are moaning about Burger King now I expect prices to go up with a bang next year. With no real competition who's to stop them?

Im remaining dubious of this for now.
[/quote]

No, you're not. ;)

The fact that they can charge what they like with nothing to guide them will, in my view, lead to a huge hike in prices - look at Waffles and Ices, Bronto Bites etc - these are all snack-fast-food type places, run by Alton as far as I know, and they're horribly expensive. £3 for a microwaved waffle and some ice-cream is a joke, as is £3.50 for a Herta hot dog, possibly the mankiest creation in the history of the sausage.

There will be nowhere to escape to, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't take advantage of this. :(
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
CoasterCrazyChris

I'm glad they ditched McDonalds at the park (or MuckyMax as I refer to it) the food has improved in recent years admittedly, but I loath the company and everything it stands for, and am really glad kids today have generally gone off the place, it was just a passing trend of the 90's...
popTART

i hated that they taken BK out of the park i much prefer macdonalds in all fairness. BK is overpriced even though some of their burgers are ok. I want Macdonalds back in the park and BK out.

As for Pizza hut going i do like their pizza's if the new place will do the same quality if not better then i give them a try.
Rob L

Although I will miss Pizza Hut next season, I think the Pizza and Pasta Bars will be a success, and I'll be trying them out. I'm sure that the quality of the food will be good.

There is a chance over the coming years that with AT, being able to control the prices of all food in the park, will put up prices. The thing is though that they will get away with it just like they have with increasing the gate prices this season, people will have no other choice when looking for food. Hopefully it won't happen though, I wouldn't be happy if it did.

LiamSAFC

Burn all the high street brands to hell!

Even the likes of Pizza Hut in the first place are shocking overpriced, and as far as I'm aware, it was around £5 in Burger King for a fairly medium meal with a under/overlooked burger with chips that are hardly appealing either.

Lets face it, if you've seen standards in Chicken and Ribs and FV's Fish and Chips and then compare it, even still, to the likes of BK and even Pizza Hut and you'll see that particular how much better the service and the quality of food is at the moment. I'm delighted that these type of American industries are being banished from the magic that is Alton Towers.

Even when it comes to the prices aswell, its hardly cheap as it is, I certainly wouldn't mind paying £1-2 more for better quality food and better service.
CoasterCrazyChris

I don't mind if they have just one of each fast food outlet in the park, but not several of each...
Jase

I think the Towers Family Restaurant definitely needs something doing with it.
I think a more magical theme should be implemented, something like the Secret Garden Restaurant in ATH, where people could have character dinners and things during their stay.

If they're ridden the park of Franchises, there's less competition for them to install a decent restaurant! :)