2009: Cloud Cuckoo Land, Skyride Refurbishment & Shows

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
mike22

Hey all, just a wee note to say Alton Towers have revealed whats new for 2009 in their winter brochure. Regards, Mike22
Liam

• http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/

The Theme Park opens for the main season
    on Saturday March 28th and will be open
    every day until November 1st 2009.

New for 2009 includes:
    :arrow: A new land for our younger guests, with the
    most fantabulous indoor play area.
    :arrow: The iconic Alton Towers Skyride is receiving a face lift
    over the winter months, ready for all our guests to enjoy in 2009.
    (discuss this here)
    :arrow: New shows and street characters for all guests to enjoy.
---------

So basically we could be heading for another theme park crash - an area just for very young children; and what happened last time there was a fantabulous play area?
Good news re: Skyride and shows though!

Could this mark the end for Cred Street?
Last edited by Liam on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

It depends.

If the new land is a good theme (I'm thinking replacing Cred St), then the play area could be could.

What about that interactive temple idea they had?
Kelly

[quote=""Liam""]A new land for our younger guests, with the
most fantabulous indoor play area. [/quote]

Sounds like a revamp on the current 'play area' in Cred Street, which I welcome, its not the best to say the least. A few bouncy castles at most.

To me it seems Cred Street will get a facelift and a new name - possibly themed around Sir Algenon? They seem to like this idea lately.
Craig

I think we're definitely seeing an end to Cred Street as we know it. It'd be interesting to see where the indoor play area goes though. Will it just be a refurbish of the existing one or are we going to see the Nick building being used again?

It's fantastic to hear the Skyride officially confirmed, although let's face it it was a 99.9% certainty before it being in the winter brochure anyway. It's nice to see they're publicising it's face lift already though.

Shows wise, it's to be expected really. I'm chuffed that they're going to build on what has been a hugely successful year for entertainments so far. With Scarefest topping this season's entertainment off, I'm looking forward to what they bring for next year.
Liam

[quote=""Johno""]What about that interactive temple idea they had?[/quote]
A temple would be the worst thing to have next to the Towers. Sir Alegnon sounds like a good idea Kelly. I think what would fit the most in terms of the Driving School and Charlie is almost a return to the Talbot Street theme, but done with much more intensity.
I wish they'd get rid of all the bright colours because then a theme can work properly, but both of those attractions have bright colours splashed all over them.

There were rumours of a babycoaster on the Beastie site so it may not be Cred St, although it's the most likely contender I guess. Intresting to note that there is no mention of said babycoaster. (phew)
Matt

I think the babycoaster will be replacing beastie for 2009....

The Super Indoor play area could go in the ice show tent?

:)

mat
:)x
Sanbrooke Productions

Great news. Very pleased with the Skyide and also new shows. The "new land" will be Cred Street rethemed making the mysterious clearing more obvious now. :D
Johno

[quote=""Liam""][quote=""Johno""]What about that interactive temple idea they had?[/quote]
A temple would be the worst thing to have next to the Towers. Sir Alegnon sounds like a good idea Kelly. I think what would fit the most in terms of the Driving School and Charlie is almost a return to the Talbot Street theme, but done with much more intensity.
I wish they'd get rid of all the bright colours because then a theme can work properly, but both of those attractions have bright colours splashed all over them.

There were rumours of a babycoaster on the Beastie site so it may not be Cred St, although it's the most likely contender I guess. Intresting to note that there is no mention of said babycoaster. (phew)[/quote]

What I meant was that the potential for what could be added, was shown there.

It does make me wonder though, a play-area for £30 per person?
Matt

[quote=""Johno""]

It does make me wonder though, a play-area for £30 per person?[/quote]

I'm sure the play area will tie in with the babycoaster...and the "family friendly" approach this season coming.
Therefore making it better value for money for youngsters than at the moment:)

mat
Johno

[quote=""Matt""][quote=""Johno""]

I'm sure the play area will tie in with the babycoaster...and the "family friendly" approach this season coming.

mat
:)x[/quote]

But the point still remains.

How many play areas can be added to Alton!?

My mum can take my little brother to Wacky Warehouse for £5, why would she pay AT's prices for the same thing?
Matt

[quote=""Johno""][quote=""Matt""][quote=""Johno""]

mat
:)x[/quote]

But the point still remains.

How many play areas can be added to Alton!?

My mum can take my little brother to Wacky Warehouse for £5, why would she pay AT's prices for the same thing?[/quote]

Haha

I hadn't thought of that.
Although I think the Adventure Land one might be going with the beastie.

So hopefully thats one less :)
mat
Corkscrewed

2009 looks.... erm... hmm.

not sure yet :P

Well, I can't say I'm not happy about the skyride finally getting a well deserved facelift, and I look forward to finding out about the new shows and stuff too, but Another play area?!

Why Alton? surely the younger guests would enjoy some variety? do something a little creative :P but if they are doing an indoor playground, at least we can be sure it will be to merlin standards... right?

:D
Liam

Last (very recent) attempt at playground:

Craig

I really don't think we're looking at some sort of outdoor play area in this case. Something indoors is pretty much a certainty I feel. My gut feeling is that we'll see the Cred Street play area revamped, although I really would still like to see the Nick building used for something.

Johno, I'm not sure how you are getting £30 for a play area at Alton though? There's far more for kids to do than the 2009 play area with the likes of Squirrel Nutty, Riverbank EyeSpy, Berry Bish Bash etc. Then not forgetting on park entertainment. Hardly a set of attractions you'd get at your local Wacky Warehouse is it?
Johno

What I mean is that it would be a good idea for Alton to be adding family attractions like Runaway Mine Train, the flume etc.

Attractions like that are more at home in a theme park, and it's what people pay for.

I just asked my brother and mum, neither of them said they'd bother going to AT because they've got a new play area. With an attraction like Battle Galleons they would do!
Liam

[quote=""Craig""]Something indoors is pretty much a certainty I feel.[/quote]
So do I... ;)
[quote=""Liam""]New for 2009 includes:
A new land for our younger guests, with the
most fantabulous indoor play area. [/quote]
NF2

[quote=""Liam""]Last (very recent) attempt at playground:

Image[/quote]

I've never seen the Dung Heap up until now, funnily I don't enter the childrens areas on park :lol: My verdict: Did they try to create a mock up of Rita's queueline for kids? Thats what it looks like to me!

Moving on from that though, I do think it's very good to be seeing a confirmed Skyride referb, as it really does need it. I'm really not keen on the new area for children though as it makes yet another year where Alton have aimed at children, but at least this time their not trying to mask the word "child" behind the word "family" :lol: As many said, people don't take their kids to a theme park for something they can get in their local leisure centre, pub, or park etc. Another play area to me spells that the park don't really know where else to go with this whole famillies thing!

Still, we all have high hopes for 2010, if we don't see something interesting by then I will not be very happy :x
Craig

[quote=""Liam""][quote=""Craig""]Something indoors is pretty much a certainty I feel.[/quote]
So do I... ;)
[quote=""Liam""]New for 2009 includes:
A new land for our younger guests, with the
most fantabulous indoor play area. [/quote][/quote]

Oops :oops: That'll teach me won't it :P

I think one thing we need to remember is that over the past few months we've seen some real positive steps towards creating a huge new area for 2010, potentially with a new thrill ride which should hopefully bring the park back to it's tradition of creating excellent thrill rides every few years.

Yes 2009 is a let down when viewing solely from a thrill point of view, but AT have no doubt spent a good few million on new Skyride gondolas, something which will be enjoyed by all, not just children. In addition, park entertainment is seeing improvements, and again this isn't just necessarily enjoyed by kids alone.

As the advert for the black stuff says - Good things come to those who wait :D
Jon

I'm pleased with what we have to look forward to in 2009, despite it being a smaller (by the sounds of things) development than what Mutiny Bay was this year. It generally points towards Cred Street getting the retheme, although I don't think adventure land should be ruled out either. Both have mis-matched themes really and both have scope for improvement. Yes it is more attention for the wee ones, but by the looks of other plans we have something bigger and better for thrillseekers on the horizons.

The general consensus for the improvements made this year have been positive - just what we have been waiting for Alton to do through the "stripe years". By the looks for things next year is going to be more of the same. It'll mean better themeing and rides in an existing area of the park in the way Mtuiny Bay brought better themeing and rides to Merrie England. The Skyride refurbishment will imrprove greatly the guests perspective on how Alton improve the quality of "the little things" despite it being a fairly big job, in the same way that monorails have this year. Finally, noone I've heard has complained about the upswing of costumed characters and new park shows. If they had the park, I'm sure, wouldn't continue to improve them through next year as well.

I'm also sure we will see more minor changes that cannot be advertised yet make a huge difference like we saw at the beginning of the year. (Improved signage, more duel themeing, red Ripsaw pool). I have my fingers crossed that the Air tunnel will be included on this wish list!
Formerly "Dagoo"