2009: Cloud Cuckoo Land, Skyride Refurbishment & Shows

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam

The more I think about this the more I can imagine the old Earls turning in their graves! :P Really, they would have probably loved some of the high tech coasters that have been added to the parkland to entertain guests in the most elaborate and stimulating way (Oblivion in particular), just like they used to do in the gradeur of the self-made gardens with tightrope walkers across the valley and grand balls and parties in the house.
Then comes Cloud Cuckoo Land litterally beside the doorstep. As can be seen by the now removed press image, there's no powerful ideology there at all; no wow, just in-your-face colours as has been the case there since the loss of Talbot Street. Where is the enchanted gothic wonderland that should be in it's place?
Jase

The name just seems like someone in marketing was like 'Shall we call our new land Cloud Cuckoo land?' and then everyone just agreed because they couldn't think of anything decent either.

Basically, it seems like little thought has gone into it! - I do like the look of the press image, It looks really exciting for young eyes, although when it actually comes to seeing the finished product, I just see a bare Cred Street with a paint job, and the crappy, driveway-style block paving everywhere, the same cheapo carousel and frog hopper, and them hideous out of place buildings above the showroom!! - I really don't see much changing!

They should've made a completely new name, something like 'Snorlasia' , it's where Snorlix comes from. It's very CBBC at the moment.
Mattia

I actually feel Alton have been really clever with the name choice. It justifies their reason for a driving school, a chocolate factory, a frog hopper, a giant mushroom etc to be put all in the same place - it unites a mish-mash of different themes through it's name. I think while yes it isn't the best name choice, it certainly is clever.
Jase

[quote=""Mattia""]I actually feel Alton have been really clever with the name choice. It justifies their reason for a driving school, a chocolate factory, a frog hopper, a giant mushroom etc to be put all in the same place - it unites a mish-mash of different themes through it's name. I think while yes it isn't the best name choice, it certainly is clever. [/quote]

Yes, I agree...... if Alton Towers have a paid a 6-year-old to come up with it!
AstroDan

The number of children I have heard at school, aged 7-11, who use the term is minimal. They would not have come up with it. It's a known phrase, mainly amongst adults and, no matter who likes it, the definition of "Cloud Cuckoo Land" is exactly what Alton Towers want for this area.

Adults will get it because of what it refers to.
Kids will get it because it's wacky.
Mattia

It's a children's area - "Toy Town" "Land of Dreams", "Toon Town", "Tot's Zone", "The Cool Zone"...they've all been done before and are so boring and un-original - whereas this hasn't been done before. It's rather unusual and in no way am I saying I like the name choice, I just think it's very clever the way they've got round the problem. :)
Jon

In all honesty, I think Cred Street/CCL has to really remain the insane, garish land that it is, simply because kids love all that stuff, and respond to it well. If you think about it, there is a well struck balance in themeing of the little-kids areas. Old-McDonald's and Story Book land are very naturalistic and gentle. Though adventure land is a bit more wacky, I'd hardly call it a satisfactory "little-kids" area, when all it has is the Beastie and a little climbing frame wasjig. Themeing the area quite seriously, like as an inventor's street (many people in this thread described what they'd like to see as something out of Series of Unfortunate Events which would have looked fantastic) but I think it would've been all to much to take on. Ithink this area is fantastic to just run around in, at least that's what I see it as.

On a sidenote, I love how the two main children's areas are the most secluded from areas of the park. I don;t know about anyone else, but when I was younger and went to them, it does give a sense of security and freedom in a smaller space.

Formerly "Dagoo"
Rob L

I have no problems with the name Cloud Cuckoo Land, I actually think that it is a good name and will end up suiting the area very well. I'm just pleased that it's a name that's a bit different unlike Adventure Land. The area probably won't have one specific theme but variation of themes that could only be dreamed up, and the name is perfect for this. :)

jonathan leake

I quite like the name. Also i think the area will look really good the daisies on the theater look quite good.Im guessing that why they have the daisey monorail train. Im also really hoping that the Ug swinger wil have water jets on it like the chessington one.
mezza

[quote=""Liam""]The more I think about this the more I can imagine the old Earls turning in their graves! :P Really, they would have probably loved some of the high tech coasters that have been added to the parkland to entertain guests in the most elaborate and stimulating way (Oblivion in particular), just like they used to do in the gradeur of the self-made gardens with tightrope walkers across the valley and grand balls and parties in the house.
Then comes Cloud Cuckoo Land litterally beside the doorstep. As can be seen by the now removed press image, there's no powerful ideology there at all; no wow, just in-your-face colours as has been the case there since the loss of Talbot Street. Where is the enchanted gothic wonderland that should be in it's place?[/quote]

I love the idea that the Earls, beyond the grave, have no problem with the fact that their home has been turned into a theme park, which uses their legacy as a gimmick to draw crowds. But their issue is with the 'generic' nature of the theming, grumbling to themselves about the "in-your-face colours".
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Liam

[quote=""mezza""][quote=""Liam""]The more I think about this the more I can imagine the old Earls turning in their graves! :P Really, they would have probably loved some of the high tech coasters that have been added to the parkland to entertain guests in the most elaborate and stimulating way (Oblivion in particular), just like they used to do in the gradeur of the self-made gardens with tightrope walkers across the valley and grand balls and parties in the house.
Then comes Cloud Cuckoo Land litterally beside the doorstep. As can be seen by the now removed press image, there's no powerful ideology there at all; no wow, just in-your-face colours as has been the case there since the loss of Talbot Street. Where is the enchanted gothic wonderland that should be in it's place?[/quote]

I love the idea that the Earls, beyond the grave, have no problem with the fact that their home has been turned into a theme park, which uses their legacy as a gimmick to draw crowds. But their issue is with the 'generic' nature of the theming, grumbling to themselves about the "in-your-face colours".[/quote]
They were well known for being entertainers and fans of such empowering scenery. They invited crowds there themselves! They created those fantastic gardens out of woods and scrubland. They didn't just spring out of nowhere.
Jon

Fromlooking at TowersNerd's picture, the closest match I could find on Poma's (the manufacturer) website was the first clockable image after clikcing on "toursim and amusement parks". I don't think they look too bad actually. When the two are compared, it is so much better to be having new gondalas.

[url=http://www.poma.net/english/index.html" target="_blank]http://www.poma.net/english/index.html[/url]
Formerly "Dagoo"
DomB

They don't look too bad at all actually..
towers freak

[quote=""Jase""]Yes, I agree...... if Alton Towers have a paid a 6-year-old to come up with it![/quote]
It needs to sound like a six year old came up with the name, it is an area for six year olds so it needs to sound childish and exciting to them,young children love vibrant colour schemes and repetivness eg Teletubbies. If it sounded like an adult came up with the name it would sound dull and boring to a young child eg x-sector sounds like a cool name for older children and us but to a young child it doesn't sound very exciting. Its easy to say what an adult thinks because you are one but what you really need to do is think like a young child, which i am an expert at lol:lol:
Mi-Nigle

I don't know whether this has been posted before or whether its 'kosher' to post a link from towersnerd but here is one anyway....

[url=http://www.towersnerd.com/gallery/?image=1265" target="_blank]http://www.towersnerd.com/gallery/?image=1265[/url]

Looks like all new gondolas for the skyride refurbishment! :)
towers freak

I wonder if they will number the new gondolas without the number thirteen like the last ones.
AstroDan

That image was posted a few days back.

:D
D-Man

I hope they do, meaning not making one of the skyride gondolas number 13.It is like a tradition now as they had it with the old ones as you say.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Skumfidus

The gondalas at AT are actually these ones -

[url=http://www.poma.net/ft_2004/quito.pdf" target="_blank]http://www.poma.net/ft_2004/quito.pdf[/url]

You can tell by the way the corner of the bodywork juts upwards and the oval/triangular rubber pieces halfway down.

I'm also loving the picture of the old cable cars from Stoke on the tourism and amusement page, I totally forgot the festival gardens had them!
Johno

Surely they are going to seat more than 6 though?