The end of corkscrew

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Nick

Alton's Corkscrew is a LOT rougher than Flamingoland's
amylovesaltontowers

In my opinion, (dare i say it) Corckscrew IS an iconic ride for the park. I know that everyone thinks that it is painful (me included) and a waste of space, but Corckscrew is Alton Towers! If it went then so many more people would be upset than the amount of people that would be happy. Just think of all the people that think of Alton Towers and can still say - Yes i went on that ride when i was younger. Corckscrew has such a big place in Alton Towers history. And yes it should go someday, every ride has to leave at some point, but Corckrew has at least a few years in it yet.

I can see why the price of repairing it would be a problem, but to build a new ride there at the moment would be like throwing money away when there are other spaces in the park.

And about the birthday thing, i think that 30th for a ride is a special occasasion - especially for Corckscrew!

I know that everyone has their different opinions about Corckscrew staying or leaving, but at the end of the day the above is mine and a matter like this will never be agreed on!
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Ollie

I don't think the Public would miss Corky if it were to leave. It never has large queues and is in the shadow of the larger and more modern, Rita.

If Corky went there would be so much opportunity! Corky is holding back a re-theme of Ug Land, and takes up a large amount of space, which could offer many possibilities...
bushboy2

it will be a shame to see corkscrew go. Its a coaster of a by-gone era before insane speeds and huge inversions. I always make the effort to have a go every time I visit the park and would be dissapointed if I didnt.

I do genuinely enjoy riding it. Its not fast or intense but a good fun coaster. Probably why I like all of the coasters at BPB. Its not a gimmick or claiming to be the worlds first this or the worlds most that etc. Its just a coaster.

I'm not that fussed about seeing it go as long as its replaced with a worthwhile addition. Another half arsed attempt would be a bad move imo. Towers really needs something to put it back on the map again. Thorpe park is catching up way too quick.
scruffy_

I think its time Corkscrew went, Alton need something newer, more exciting! Its just lost now at the back of Rita
Rita 2005

[quote=""Ollie""]I don't think the Public would miss Corky if it were to leave. It never has large queues and is in the shadow of the larger and more modern, Rita.[/quote]You have obviously never been when it is very busy such as during the School Trip Season, don't forget that Corkscrew has an higher throughput then rides such as Rita and Air and is a great queue absorber, if it were not there those people would have to go elsewhere thus increasing the queues on other rides. Any replacement would have to get at last 1,000 passengers/hour and be as reliable, which with most modern coasters is almost impossible.
Scream

Work started this evening to remove Corkscrew. The signature loop was the first to go.

Quickey

^ Wow! It looks like they gave it a paint job before starting to take it apart which is strange. :P
spinwhizzer

very clever editing, however there is no evidence of any crane, its mid summer, and that is an old pic of corky, the track is too bright lol.
Scream

:lol: I know. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a decent picture of 'Corky' on the internet. just proves that no-one actually wants to look at it anymore.
Corkscrewed

you had me fooled.

I had broken out the champagne and everything :P
Sgt Hammond

Lol :D Some nice editing!

I could see this happening soon though, in the face of the new plans for 2010. IMO this would be a good thing. Although corkscrew would be missed, I think its time for AT to move on. Parks like Thorpe are adding new coasters every other year, and alltgough AT has better theming and family rides, its losing out on Thrill seekers, we need to catch up, and a new, GOOD (not quickly put in for sale, Rita!) coaster is what is called for, and corkie is the obvious choice to make way. Sorry guys! Its for the good of the park. I'm sure its what corkie would want!
seanyboyuk

lol that was a good one indeed.

The best way for them to take corky out indeed is go along with the machines story of them being trapped underground breaking out and running into the woods i think alton will want to sell corky for what its worth tbh as i cannot see them scrapping a ride and using it for themeing in another area of the park (i wish it did happen though)
CoasterCrazyChris

Remember, a good theme park is not necessarily one packed with thrill rides. Take Terra Mitica and PortAventura in Spain for example; very few thrill rides and more family rides, not tame childrens rides, but family rides, along with the excellent themeing, its great.

These two parks both have qualities AT does not

-impeccable themeing (as good as disney)
-good mix of all types of rides in every area

...plus the sunshine! :lol:
Jase

If Corkscrew is removed, something family orientated should be installed in it's place.

I really think areas containing a mix of thrill and family attractions make for a better theme park generally, and would perhaps help towards the family image Alton Towers are trying to achieve.
Sir John Talbot

[quote=""Jase""]If Corkscrew is removed, something family orientated should be installed in it's place.

I really think areas containing a mix of thrill and family attractions make for a better theme park generally, and would perhaps help towards the family image Alton Towers are trying to achieve.[/quote]

I disagree.

Whilst a large, substantial 'family' coaster would be most welcomed, it has been a long time since a proper 'thrill' investment and the land where Corkscrew sits is one of the limited remaining spaces for relatively easy development of a real thrill coaster. So definitley add a substantial family ride at some period, just don't waste such a perfect location on it when there are many others than could house a large family coaster but not a large thrill coaster.

I also tend to think separate thrill/family areas are far more effective theme and immersion wise. But regardless, what now is Cred Street is only just around the corner.
Nick

Families like their thrills too!!!
MostMagicalCat

We shall defend our corky, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the ug-land area, we shall fight on the oblivion, we shall fight in the canyon and in the gardens, we shall fight in the towers street restaurant;we shall never surrender.
-Sir Winston Churchill
[
Jase

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""][quote=""Jase""]If Corkscrew is removed, something family orientated should be installed in it's place.

I really think areas containing a mix of thrill and family attractions make for a better theme park generally, and would perhaps help towards the family image Alton Towers are trying to achieve.[/quote]

I disagree.

Whilst a large, substantial 'family' coaster would be most welcomed, it has been a long time since a proper 'thrill' investment and the land where Corkscrew sits is one of the limited remaining spaces for relatively easy development of a real thrill coaster. So definitley add a substantial family ride at some period, just don't waste such a perfect location on it when there are many others than could house a large family coaster but not a large thrill coaster.

I also tend to think separate thrill/family areas are far more effective theme and immersion wise. But regardless, what now is Cred Street is only just around the corner.[/quote]

I was considering whether to actually define what I meant by 'family ride', but as quite rightly said, families like thrills too.

I suppose rides like Disney's Big Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom) could be classed as family rides, to certain extent Tower of Terror could sway towards family too, but yet all are thrilling to their own degree!

Alton Towers clearly wants to head towards catering for the family market, and it's doing right because the amount of secondary spend for a family is what they want to cash in on, which you wouldn't necessarily get with a group of teens.

I disagree that families containing thrill seekers should be, almost, segregated into their own areas of the park, why would you want to be split up from or stand around waiting for other group members?

I don't believe it would affect the theme or how well you feel immersed into an area, because there's a mix of attractions for everyone, isn't that what themeing is all about? Making something slightly ordinary, something else, and giving it that excitement factor....

I'm, personally, all for a massive thrill development in UG Land, but I think a balance needs to be maintained throughout every area.
DomB

I rode corkscrew for the first time last week, and was going expecting it too be really uncomfortable. But i loved it, it isn't too bad for kids with the 1.2 height restriction and is great for there first inversion.

So, i say, keep the corkscrew! it's a brill ride for all.