The end of corkscrew

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
seanyboyuk

Ok its going to happen sooner or later the park announcing
the departue of corkscrew from the park.
Do you think they will announce its departure at the beginning
of the season to make sure everyone gets a last ride chance on it
or have some type of goodbye event?
Obviously i can see a rememberance sign going up similar
to the black hole in its location.

And what should replace it? A coaster with a corkscrew for sure?

Then again i have a feeling they may keep it for many years to come
as even still today lots of people think alton towers think corkscrew....
LukeJ

Well i'm not sure how long its going to stay, many years or only a few years, but I think when it does go they will say at the start of the season so more people can ride it. I also heard someone say keep part of the track as a moument such as the corkscrews. I quite like that idea :D
seanyboyuk

yer i could see that happening. they could use it over a walkway
heading towards a new ride that would look cool but then again
i think alton would want to sell the corkscrew as im sure there
would be a couple of buyers for it as other parks could promote
it as it being the first ever corkscrew coaster that came to
the uk. even dreamland may want to look into that!
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Nothing has been confirmed so this is all ZOMG!11!!!1! stuff :P
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
seanyboyuk

i know that lol im just coming up with possible suggestions lol

as much as dreamland takes it heritage on past rides i think corkscrew would be an ideal ride to take on
alex_4291

i dont see why corkscrew should have to go anyways. its a great ride and the queues are small so its a great on for when the major rides are busy. I dont see why they couldnt improve the carriages to try and make the ride more comfortable.
Mankey

I wish people would stop slating corkey tbh... yes its rough and not upto the standards of the other coasters at AT. But what most people seem to forget is its another queueline in the park isnt it? it makes the area of the park less crowded due to the queue. Plus it is still quite a popular ride. My whole family love it!

I dont think its gonna go for a while...

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
nemesis4lyf

I ride it just as uch as any other ride at AT. Wouldnt be good to see it go but towers do need a new coaster just not there :D
formula1fan

Corky's going to be around for a few more years yet, and I agree with the idea of keeping the corkscrews as a lasting monument. But as the restraints are uncomfortable, it would be a good idea to make them more comfortable i.e. new trains. Or, when Corky goes, UG Land could be rethemed around Rita, but AT just spent loads on Mutiny Bay, so that mightn't happen. :wink: If Corky goes, then the space could be well used for a small family coaster, or maybe a couple of flats, but I think that the small family coaster is probably the more likely option.
Rob L

I don't think Corky will be going anywhere any time soon, you could say if it was never built the park would not be what it is today. It is still popular, people are always riding it, it's a classic. I don't think AT would want to remove it, there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't seem to break down much, at least not when I go.

Anonymous

Corkscrew is just an easy target to speculate about.

I bet the same rumours will still be around in 10 years, like how everyone says Big Dipper at BPB is in its last year, as people have said for the last four years lol.
Adam

Corky needs to go soon. It's a nasty ride, and is just a waste of space.

It's even tucked away now, behind Rita. It wouldn't be missed...well apart from the old folk who don't like change...

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Anonymous

Speculating what can replace it makes interesting discussion, but its rumours that arent likely come true.

Corkscrew sits in a restriced space, a small space at that. You wouldnt get a B&M Floorless in there with a decent height and layout to make it worthwhile, unless you took Rita out as well, which isnt going to happen.

I dont expect Corkscrew to go anytime soon, its a family ride which is still popular, theres no need to remove it.

I think theres more chance of a revamp and new trains than removal.
Sanbrooke Productions

Corky won't leave any time soon. It's a classic ride which made Alton Towers what it is today. You woulde't fit a b&m floorless in there. The only 1 ting that needs sorting is some new cars. But when it does leave i like the idear of saving the actual Corkscrew'a as a rememberance statue. :D
Vanessa Feltz

i know what could happen, AT could put floorless cars onto corky, then it would be cheaper and cooler!
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Jon

I don't think Corkscrew will be going soon, and neither do I think heritage is the main reason it is kept. No it isn't anything special, but it is still a roller coaster and a reasonably fun one at that. Taking one rollercoaster off the menu doesn't look too great - one of the reasons there was little hesitation on the removal of the Black Hole was the fact that Rita took it's place in the ride line-up. The space it takes up is fairly large, but the only thing that could really occupy it would be a flat and possibly a rehash at Rita's abysmal queue due to height restrictions. While a thrilling flat and more space in Ugland could be seen as a decent enough investment, I'm sure in their eyes keeping Corkscrew is equally as good. I know I'm a fairly recent "enthusiast" but I really don't rate the heritage of Corkscrew anyway!
Formerly "Dagoo"
Vanessa Feltz

i seriously doubt corkscrew will be removed too soon, it still attracts a nice crowd and its a pleasing ride if there are massive queus on other rides, it also lightens the load on rita because if corky wasnt there you would have much bigger queus on young rita there.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
smeg_head

This is one of those threads that really annoys me. The same as the 'how long has Nemesis got' thread.

I'd say the likes of Air, Rita & Spinball are disposable but Corky & Nemesis ARE Alton Towers. Corky difined the park for 14 years with Nemesis taking up the baton since 1994. It's now 2008, another 14 have passed thus we're due a new signature ride.

However, when the new signature arrives Corky & Nemesis will always remain as postscripts.
Khanage

/ / I would also add Oblivion to the rides that ARE Alton Towers. I completely agree with what you say though but I have to say that I don't think Corky could go on forever. If it was gotten rid of then I would say that it would have to have something as iconic or ground breaking to go in its place.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

jordi20012002

I think something in its place similar to infusion at blackpool would be a nice move, but then the whole area may need a retheme