Battle Galleons (discussion up to Dec 07 only)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam

Righty, let's start a specific thread for this new ride, expected to be a Splash Battle on the boating lake; Battle Galleons!

Click here to visit the Battle Galleons construction archive. :yohoho:

Click here to discuss the rest of Merrie England and possibilities of further new attractions until they are confirmed. :yohoho:
Last edited by Liam on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaycee

Just received the image myself - pretty cool, huh! I checked the planning site and the application is still pending consideration! They must be confident it's going to go through!

'Battle Galleons' eh...
Liam

I still have mixed feelings about this, which I won't be able to decide upon until I see the theming.
I dislike Splash Battles but if the theming is top notch it'll bring me round. I don't like "Shiver me timbers" appearing on that poster for all it's cheesy worth, but the background theme seems ok I guess, and it does stir a bit of excitement I must admit which is what it's meant to do.
altontowerskid

That poster looks great, i hope the attraction does have a good amount of theming. For some reason it reminds me of a Legoland kind of name for an attraction but lets not put it down until the goods have been shown.
Lauren

I'm just worried about it not fitting in with the area?
I think the whole use of pirate "language" is good, but nether the less i feel it is gonna have the same effect as charlie.
Kaycee

I have heard that this Splash Battle is going to be highly themed - time will tell, I guess! We KNOW Alton Towers, even now, CAN do highly themed, so I shall remain positive. :) Poster looks good, although you hear/see 'shiver me timbers' so much at theme parks, it just kinda reinforces how over-done this particular theme is... I REALLY hope they go down the dark/sinister pirate route, rather than loud/tacky/cartoonish... but what with it being a family area I think it may end up being the latter... Shall have to wait and see I guess!
Anonymous

I think it's going to be a good investment, and I can see it being highly themed. I've got a feeling they'll have the ride up pretty quickly so they've got all winter to get the themeing done perfectly.
Nathan

Queues = Real bad.

I hope they tart it up nicely, so it will be at least something good to look at.
John

[quote=""Mackem Lad""]Queues = Real bad[/quote]

That's a point: where are they going to put the Q line for this thing, on hot days it'll need far more than the swans or splash karts did, and there doesn't seem to be much space.
Moley

Cheesyness rating 10/10

Excitement rating 0/10
Joe-07

[quote=""duckman""][quote=""Mackem Lad""]Queues = Real bad[/quote]

That's a point: where are they going to put the Q line for this thing, on hot days it'll need far more than the swans or splash karts did, and there doesn't seem to be much space.[/quote]

Just what I was thinking aswell. I really can't think how they are going to get around this problem, because as already said in Summer months, this will be a very popular attraction. Let's just hope they don't decide to make it P2P.
LiamC

[quote=""Joe-07""]Let's just hope they don't decide to make it P2P.[/quote]

It wont be a P2P. If Alton decide to make it that, it'll be a extremely bad move!
LiamSAFC

Oh come on guys! Show optimism!

This, I think will be a great move for the Theme Park. I honestly think Merlin are trying hard, not to just make the Theme Park what it used to be in it's glory days, but better it into a modernized magical Theme Park. I hope this plan succeeds so that everyone that has put this project down can really stick their two fingers up there a**e. Flamingo Land have done it and theirs is quality, why cant the Towers pull it off?

LiamSAFC
Moley

It's not that they won't theme it, I just don't agree with putting it there in the first place, IMO Splash Battles belong in warmer climates.
furie

For those who may not have seen the empty lake, here's a couple of shots I took on the 14th, just over a week ago.

If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Wildchild

If the themeing is a s good as driving school we on for a WINNER. I can see it being awsume. It be good if their few ups and downs. Not drops as such but ups and downs to give the effect of waves
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Javs

Not sure this attraction is going to be for me, but if it is well themed and the kids like it then thumbs up. Its not all about us guys, the park needs to cater for the youngsters too. We will get another adrenaline fueled ride in a year or two.
heart_toes

Does anyone get feeling AT are just jumping on the pirate bandwagon? i mean, loads of things have got all piratey since the release of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. I think they're just trying to get into this market.

To me the idea sounds like a lack of imagination- a default theme park theme. Where are the days where things had good themes i.e X Sector?
Davy Jones: Dinner is cruel. Why should dessert be any different?
Wes

Can people stop saying "BLEUGH, Pirates. Its been done before.".

We haven't even seen the final product.

A pre-hisoric/dinosaur land has been done before (Ug land). An Afican village has been done before (Katanaga Canyon). A medevil land has been done before (Merry England). A farm yeard has been done before ... you get the idea. You could argue that the X-Sector, futuristic/space theme has been done before.

Pirates have never been so popular due to POTC and I know my nephue is very much into pirates and he hasn't even seen the movies!

Im sure there will be a great Alton Towers twist to this Pirate theme, lets not brush it away just yet.
Squiggles

[quote=""Muggins""]Can people stop saying "BLEUGH, Pirates. Its been done before.".

A pre-hisoric/dinosaur land has been done before (Ug land). An Afican village has been done before (Katanaga Canyon). A medevil land has been done before (Merry England). A farm yeard has been done before ... you get the idea. You could argue that the X-Sector, futuristic/space theme has been done before.
[/quote]

I don't think people are really complaining that it's been done before.... they are complaining it's been done to death. I mean there are so many park's in this country and abroad which already have pirate areas. I don't think any other theme is quite so prolific.

(Oh and as I understand in, X-Sector is a a top secret research facility theme, not a space/futuristic)

Anyhow, my actually purpose for posting was to say I've just added some pictures to the construction archive, showing the whole site sans Splash Karts.
Edwardo..... move me!