Battle Galleons (discussion up to Dec 07 only)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
mezza

A lot of people are criticising the pirate theme. The fact is, there aren't many themes that would work well in that area.

The themes at Alton Towers work best when they make use of what is already there: Gloomy Wood is convincing because it's in a real life gloomy wood. Old McDonald's Farm is convincing because it's in farmland.

The Merrie England area has medieval buildings and is on the edge of the lake. Obviously Merrie England (medieval) worked well as a theme because it's based in Medieval buildings. OK, the theme wasn't brilliantly executed, but as a concept, you couldn't fault it.

However, now, Alton Towers are including a boat ride on the edge of the lake into the themed area. So: old buildings / boat ride on the lake: What else could really be entertaining / convincing other that pirates? Yes, it's not very original, but I'd rather have something not very original, than Alton Towers trying to retheme the area, as, I dunno, a futururistic space station, which could never work, because you could never get it to look anything like convincing.

As for the sign: construction signs almost never represent the final artwork, but it's a good sign they've bothered to theme it and to start to build the excitement up from now. A few years ago, they wouldn't have bothered. I'm excited!
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Dyls

Maybe the council have now approved the application and not updated the planning portal.

Anyhow this is a brilliant turn of events, not sure i like the name though
Danzaw*nk

I still don't totally understand what this attraction actually is though :? :lol:.

Is it like a boat ride e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom or a Splash Battle waterfight type thing? :?

Someone clear my head :P.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Javs

[quote=""mezza""]
As for the sign: construction signs almost never represent the final artwork, but it's a good sign they've bothered to theme it and to start to build the excitement up from now. A few years ago, they wouldn't have bothered. I'm excited![/quote]

Not really true when you look at the past evidence:

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/co ... st9.03.jpg

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/co ... hp?iPos=13

http://www.thorpeparkguide.com/features ... banner.jpg

http://www.thorpeparkguide.com/features ... banner.jpg

These all look very similar in theme and colour to the rides they are advertising!
DiogoJ42

Now this could be interesting!

But as far as the name goes, they should call it "YAAARRRGH!"
Dr Pop Rocket

I'm over the moon about the Splash Karts removal, now I'm apprehensive about this replacement, I'm staying positive but I still have my usual concerns that it will not be pulled off well, but like I always say, I really hope my doubts are proven wrong.

I quite like the name and I like the looks of splash battles, look fun, so as long as this has some fantastic theming it will be a huge winner with most enthusiasts and the general public.

:)
alton towers fan

I am very excited about this after riding Flamingo Lands last month it will be great. The name is fantastic and at least now we can look forward to a nice winter construction. As for the sign that is a lso looking great. Come on Alton Towers you can do this :D :D :D
New ice show arriving 2008 in the big top
i think
Nathan

For the people who are slightly disagreeing with this addition.

Would you rather have Splash Karts still there? A P2P attraction that looked way out of place? Or would you like a brand new fun attraction?

Sure, there are alternatives Alton could have gone for but they've gone with this one.

We should support this development and reserve judgement until a bit more information is released.
Last edited by Nathan on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam

I'd much rather have a beautiful empty boating lake, perhaps with a few rowing boats if you want a paddle. :D
Liam

^ Exactly!! :D :D
That would be a truely awesome theme! (If anyone is unsure, it's about an almighty war between Spain and England at sea, set in the Tudor period - incidentally the Spanish ships fled north to escape the English wrath only to be shipwrecked along the Scottish coast due to storms.)
See there are hundreds of really interesting ways to make something rather bog standard into something extraordinary. It's what Disney do, and it works superbly well, and it's what should happen with all attractions in a theme park.

A little imagination goes a long way.
Big Dave

The battle galleons ride will be similar to this one as seen on 3DBA website

Lauren

I dont like the track on these things, it ruins the ride. In flamingoland, only one of our guns we're working and it did look a tad ugly.
But i beleive alton could do much better, so im thinking positive from now untill we see the finished product, though i would much rather it was a inside ride. I mean, british weather and all..
Adam

The thing that's just dawned on me is, this construction is starting VERY early. For such a simple ride, so maybe there is more too it then meets the eye.

The footers will take hardly no time to install, and as for the track and supports, week tops. So maybe this will have indoor sections, or very eleberate themeing?

I dunno, but i think the fact they are starting so early is a good sign!

Little bit worried that the advert doesn't mention anything else new in the area, but apart form that its interesting!

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Mattia

[quote=""Kaycee""]
As for the queueline, I think it will wrap around the station.[/quote]

I think it will be true merlin style and will be cattle-pen queueing...i pray it won't be though, i hate that, i would love to queue amongst the ride and shoot the riders from the queueline and get wet just queueing.
Kaycee

Hopefully - that'll be a great way to keep you entertained in the queue - to have pistols and stuff to fire water at the boats as they go around!
Adam

Unless the queue and station are on the opposite side? You know, where that bit of grass and path is?...

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
MostMagicalCat

[quote=""Kaycee""]Hopefully - that'll be a great way to keep you entertained in the queue - to have pistols and stuff to fire water at the boats as they go around![/quote]

Arrghhhh i just think of getting soaked by chavs, they always aim for the "big" people like me, always happens in port aventura to the shouts of chavs "get that fat cun........ " :P

on a whole, IMO not too happy(climate and stuff), but i will see how it goes, might take some preasure of the silly queue that is spinball
[
Wes

[quote=""Adäm""]Unless the queue and station are on the opposite side? You know, where that bit of grass and path is?... [/quote]

They have had a lot of problems wit hthe path - the poject almost didn't go ahead because of it! So therefor I doubt that this area will be used.

[quote=""Liam""]I'd much rather have a beautiful empty boating lake, perhaps with a few rowing boats if you want a paddle.[/quote]

Thats great.

But what about the other 99.99% of the guests who visit the park for thrills?

Marky's idea sounds great! However, I would never expect to see that at Alton Towers. They have never had a ride with such depth to its story or themeing, so I doubt we'll see a ride like it in the future.

[quote=""Adäm""]The thing that's just dawned on me is, this construction is starting VERY early. For such a simple ride, so maybe there is more too it then meets the eye. [/quote]

Mmmh, well, they are aiming to get this ride open for March? Thats very early for the park compaired to recent years - also we have a big winter period on its way where weather conditions won't be good enough to work on the attraction.
Satch

Most rides of this build would start to be constructed around now. If you think about it, most of the coasters only really need footers being consructed and then track adjoining each segment. Its only flat rides that would be left quite late, as there is little there would be needed to do to install them.

With scenary to emplace, buildings and the area landscaped, I think its a realistic contruction time
Sir John Talbot

Surely no landscaping of sorts is necessary/allowed?