Air Tunnel

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Sir John Talbot

To continue from an interesting discussion about Airs tunnel and themeing in an on-topic sense :):

[quote="":Soph""]I think they need to do something to the tunnel.. Even if it is just lights then its better than before, Myself I think they could make a big difference :?[/quote]

It could! And it really should be there. Air isn't about the thrills, it's about the whole ride experience, so theming in such blatent places really would be a huge plus for the ride. My ride recently was very pleasant, and the concept of having such potential for improved ride experience is quite exciting, as I find the ride intruiging as it is! So much oppertunities for theming here and there, I hope Alton will take advantage of this even in a minor sense.

The Air advert demonstrates exactly what air should've been. A blissful oasis uncovered further on from the descrution of Nemesis, and whilst the landscaping is pretty much up to scratch, that tunnel as I said has so, so much potential :D.

Let's hope it's within their plans next year! Would certainly give a huge boost to my faith in the managment if they at least made an effort to improve the ride.
AstroDan

I dont wish to sound 'off' or anything, but this debate is ongoing - and has been ever since I was a member of TTF.

It pains me that the tunnel is so hideous - pots of stuff and ladders, UGH!

:(
John

Just paint the damn thing blue with some clouds and add some blue and while lights. That would do, total cost of about £50 and practically no maintainance required besides changing a bulb occasionally.
MostMagicalCat

it all ways reminds me of the begining of clockwork orange when the "droogs" beat up the drunk irishman

in dublins fair city
where the girls are so pretty

They should retheme it with an urban decay type theme, get the staff out pissing all over the tunnel(for multi sensory smells)and cheap cider bottlesadding a runny dog turd for good measure :P
[
=>TOXIC<=

Just paint the damn thing blue with some clouds and add some blue and while lights. That would do, total cost of about £50 and practically no maintainance required besides changing a bulb occasionally.
This will not do. It is Alton Towers the UKs supposidly best theme park, a theme park who want to be a family resort facing Disney and Universal. They need to be over the top they need to push the bounds and make people generally say WOW instad of er it was OK. Bring back the days of Nemesis, Haunted House and Katanga Canyon looking dated now but when they came out it was a huge leap for the UK theme industry.
Keep Rollin
Thomas

Some clouds painted on the walls would just liven them that little bit me finks, nothing complicated or too expensive, add some neon light that are arrows shaped that guided you to the lift hill that flash in a sequence, also do this to the tunnel in the middle

For the rest of the themeing i think its alright maybe a little sparse but i think it all adds to the simplicity and freedom of the ride IMO

Something else is the que lines, i don't think the tvs really help too much at the moment, something more oriented just about air, or a story video kinda thing like oblivion but along the lines that it came from another planet to correspond with nemesis or it was built to fight against nemy

Thomas
=>TOXIC<=

Think I may get my concept up on the internet for you all to see.

As I said make people say wow feed their imaginations and show them the fantasy world of flight, stimulate emotions this is what the entertainment industry is all about.

Not some lame clouds which will crack and peel by the end of the season.

We live in the 21st century we should be using technology and the awesome power we have in our hands to use our imaginations and create something truly amazing.
Keep Rollin
John

The problem with theming the station tunnel is that there's a limit to what they can put on the floor in case the ride has to be evacuated, while high-tech simulator screens would be amazing, they would have to be strong enough to stand on or they couldn't put them there.

Simple touches can make a big difference, the rumble strip effect under the break run is, IMO a very clever touch and makes it just that little bit more interesting.
=>TOXIC<=

The evacuation isn't an issue there are so many methods available to sort that problem out.
You wouldn't need to have screens on the floor
(if you are talking about the one I used on the animation ) its just a glass disc with the image underneath so when the light comes on it shows through simular to stained glass effect.)

The animation was a basic concept to be shown what the space could be used for made to look like a cave with the opening having plants hanging over the edges to make it more into the oasis they wanted.
Keep Rollin
UltimateDingbat

Currently the air tunnel reminds me of one of those under the train track tunnels. It does need something doing to it.
Don\'t like me learn to put up with me
phillipvass

Although everybody is crying out for something to be done with the Air tunnel I very much doubt anything will happen. It's not something that the everyday visitor really cares about, and with the parks attitude to theming being as lapse as it is I can pretty much guarentee nothing will be changed.
Craig

[quote=""phillipvass""]Although everybody is crying out for something to be done with the Air tunnel I very much doubt anything will happen. It's not something that the everyday visitor really cares about, and with the parks attitude to theming being as lapse as it is I can pretty much guarentee nothing will be changed.[/quote]

I have heard the general public bring up the tunnel before. The tools lying around are often brought up - Thing's like "why can't they store those somewhere else" or a sarcastic "oooh" being shouted on the way through.

At the end of the day, it's a small thing which could be done to a ride to make a big difference to everyone who rides it.

You only have to stand in the queue and hear the ooohs and ahhhs when the station turns blue when the lights come on. Something like that in the tunnel could really give Air that additional "wow" factor that both enthusiasts and the general public will enjoy.
Anonymous

[quote=""mostmagicalcat""]it all ways reminds me of the begining of clockwork orange when the "droogs" beat up the drunk irishman

in dublins fair city
where the girls are so pretty

They should retheme it with an urban decay type theme, get the staff out pissing all over the tunnel(for multi sensory smells)and cheap cider bottlesadding a runny dog turd for good measure :P[/quote]

Fantastic idea. And they could re-open the 3D Cinema where you have your eyelids forced open and are made to watch abominable things on the screen.
=>TOXIC<=

Fantastic idea. And they could re-open the 3D Cinema where you have your eyelids forced open and are made to watch abominable things on the screen.
LoL I remember that attraction it used to make feel so sick I had to close my eyes.
Keep Rollin
Phil

Well we would all absolutely love theming in the tunnels but the harsh reality is that air has operated for nearly 4 years without any theming in the tunnels, so why, suddenly, would some theming appear?! It would just be a waste of money, in the managements view anyway.
Sir John Talbot

[quote=""=>TOXIC<=""]The evacuation isn't an issue there are so many methods available to sort that problem out.
You wouldn't need to have screens on the floor
(if you are talking about the one I used on the animation ) its just a glass disc with the image underneath so when the light comes on it shows through simular to stained glass effect.)

The animation was a basic concept to be shown what the space could be used for made to look like a cave with the opening having plants hanging over the edges to make it more into the oasis they wanted.[/quote]

Please do! Some of you work looks fantastic (I had a quick look through your website. Excellent!).

Hopefully AT management will have a looky through this thread and see how amazingly more imaginative you are than most of them :).
=>TOXIC<=

Please do! Some of you work looks fantastic (I had a quick look through your website. Excellent!).
Thanks its always good to hear what people think of my work
have a peek
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toxic_200/

I went for an interview at the Tussards Studios not too long ago, you guys should have seen the original plans for stealth what they wanted to do was amazing work.

Well we would all absolutely love theming in the tunnels but the harsh reality is that air has operated for nearly 4 years without any theming in the tunnels, so why, suddenly, would some theming appear?! It would just be a waste of money, in the managements view anyway.
Sadly this is very true with the ride being old news advertising new themeing in the tunnel will not bring people in the gates, but if it was done people would appriciate it and would improve the parks image, so it depends on what the park want to do improve there park image or make more money with gate figures
Keep Rollin
Thomas

I second that, its amazing, i especially love the derby city one with it being literally 5mins away from were i live

I guess doing the tunnel now wouldn't really be the number one thing on the managers list, but its such a shame, little bits like this add alto to a ride

Lets hope they don't do the same mistake twice

Thomas
=>TOXIC<=

On another note any of you doing school design projects for GCSE or A Levels at the moment and you need help and guidence give me a shout and I'll be able to offer my advice I have helped a few people before.
Keep Rollin
Thomas

Have just started doing graphics for my GCSE's, ain't been doing much in it at the moment tho just getting used to using all the different apparatus and using it properly

Thomas