Air Tunnel

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
cookiee_munster

im kind of hoping that one day, the ride wont just get a new tunnel but a whole new rebrand/retheme. id like to see it as either some kind of military theme for destroying an alien/nemesis invasion or some kind of alien hybrid formed from the nemesis monster.

that way they get to play with marketing/advertising and have a better reason to spruce up a ride and its bloody tunnel!
mrbrightside

Ugh, we have too many military/alien/invasion/war/end of world themed rides appearing right now. Air is not forceful or thrilling enough for that kind of a theme anyway. It's Air simply because it is meant to create the sensation of flying... Hence the fact it is meant to be themed to some sort of tranquil oasis. The theme doesn't quite work because of its budget cuts during construction, but if the ride were to get a refresh, I would hope that the theme continued but was simply extended as opposed to dramatically changing.

Unless it was re-themed around some sort of Sir Algenon-esque flying contraption...
ImageImage
cookiee_munster

I dont really see any other military/alien invasion/war/end of the world themed rides anywhere else in the park than forbidden valley??? What better way to add continuity to the rest of the land but to retheme air to the post apocalyptic theme forbidden valley has?

I dont think air has to be forceful or thrilling to adopt this theme? Its just a look?
mrbrightside

Across Merlin as a company we do... It seems like a lazy theme to keep pulling out. Yes, it would be nice for FV to have a consistent theme that links Air. However, it is VERY important that the ride fits the theme.

For something related to alien attack or war the ride needs to be packing a punch to make it work. Gently floating around in a flying position just wouldn't fit a theme around death and destruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
MattsDesigns

I think the idea is good and it fits aswell. Almost every idea I read here is great and thought out. The people here probably have a lot in common with the actual ride/park designers - thinking the same thoughts, no doubt drink the same beer.

But to get anything made you would have to really inspire the people who deal out money or 1 of the lucky few who attend the ideas board meeting. I get the feeling that Candy Holland has the ideas now and a handful of designers work underneath her with a degree of creative input but she directs the artistic department and we are led to believe she has the main ideas - would be interested if it isn't her though? Maybe some bloke tells her what to do first...

Oh well, I still dream.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
cookiee_munster

mrbrightside wrote: Across Merlin as a company we do... It seems like a lazy theme to keep pulling out. Yes, it would be nice for FV to have a consistent theme that links Air. However, it is VERY important that the ride fits the theme.

For something related to alien attack or war the ride needs to be packing a punch to make it work. Gently floating around in a flying position just wouldn't fit a theme around death and destruction.
Look at blade? thats not really thrilling at all, yet looks awesome because of the paint job its received to fit in with forbidden valley.

As a rollercoaster, air is considered not as thrilling, but i don't think that should be considered when it comes to theming an attraction, especially re-theming. i think all it could do with is a few near miss themed elements (rocks/debris etc)

in general, i can see a whole re-theme happening more than the tunnel solely getting something anyway. that way the park has something to advertise a lot better than something in air's tunnel.
Coasteraddict

You know what I'd really like to see?

If/When the air carpark is developed that that bit of the park is sectioned off as a new area with the entrance being built over the path where the lift for Air and the end of the Cafe is in FV and then the area themed to a futuristic look (note not saying space, but a ride could be to do with space) as air already sort of fits that interms of style with the station building, the colours, the blue lights, all the metal stuff. And I think it would be really neat, as let's be fair when you're in FV Air never truly feels connected and when you're around Air you don't really feel part of FV.

Just my 2 cents.
djtruefitt

I imagine if/when the Air carpark gets built on Air will become part of that new area and will be rethemed or the area will be linked to Air. It wouldnt surprise me if that has always been the plans, but so far nothing has come of it. Because nothing whats so ever makes Air fit into FV.
Oblivion115

I still think they shoukd retheme air as another alien like nemesis and it was sent to control nemesis like its our savior...anyway the tunnel i think should be like the tunnel from the advert that would be cool
BigHairJoe

By the old concepts it would have fit into the valley but I thought as it is it's the calm at the end of the valley so the change when you get to air is like FV but clean and modern but still with all the rocks but non rusted metal
Alex.D

i think they should get mist machines and fill it with some light mist and blue lights
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Oblivion115

alee289 wrote: i think they should get mist machines and fill it with some light mist and blue lights

I was wondering what your idea was haha i like that idea actually
Blaze

Can we not just now lock this topic and "get a life"?

:P
Rollermad

Why does everyone hate air tunnel :/
Blaze

Because it's a square concrete shaft with no lighting, that's full of spit, damp and random tat the staff couldn't be bothered putting in a bin or returning to the store room, that was supposed to be themed before the money ran out/they realised it's too damp to paint.
MattsDesigns

Still like the thread even though it doesn't manifest anything in the park. It shows that many people here are able to come up with suitable ideas for a specific theme- almost most of the ideas are different yet all adhere to the theming of Air showing that there are many ways to skin a cat with theming.

My latest idea is put turquoise oxygen cylinders at the side aaand
big oxygen molecules on the floor. Somehow I'm going for a slightly psychedelic twist this time.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
JoeGibbon

Rollermad wrote: Why does everyone hate air tunnel :/
I don't hate it, I think it's beautiful. It's so lovely and concretey and wet...
LordOfDarkness

WHY ARE YOU SO UNGRATEFUL.

They have given us some lovely L.E.D's which if you stare at may blind you.
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
roary01

I love the idea of some mist/fog with blue lights shining through would be very easy to install and would comply with H&S evacuation, whilst improving the look immensly :D
DannyNewbro

alee289 wrote: i think they should get mist machines and fill it with some light mist and blue lights
I like your idea! Towers are still thinking about that tunnel, they just don't know what they could do with it, they can't project clouds onto the walls because of too many obstructions and it being wet down there, can't paint clouds on the walls because it'll peel off, but I like your idea, I can imagine it being you're actually travelling through the clouds and when you're in the station and you look into the tunnel it'll look pretty cool seeing the ride car disappear into the mist!