Air Tunnel

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
corkscru74

[quote=""captain""]The thing with Air is that, barring the music, there's F A 'oasis' theme at all.[/quote]
Agreed. I've only ever heard of the "Oasis Theme" on here. Watching the advert kinda suggests peace and tranquility. Maybe Utopia is a more accurate description.

Air does seem to have a bit of an identity crisis. Its themeing is, if anything, closer to X-Sector than FV. As others have mentioned, hopefully if SW7 does go ahead in the Air Carpark AT will be forced to do something with it.

Otherwise I don't see ANY hope of rocks, waterfalls, lights or anything. Hell, if they're not even going to paint it (you can get paint that works underwater so that's no excuse) I don't see any hope of elaborate themeing - although any of the above would be nice.
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

And so were getting to that time of year again...
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
TowersJake

Its not only the theme, its a dull ride experience (it may be popular because you can "fly") but come on as much as i would like it to go i doubt much changes will be made for following years. Maybe a lick of paint.

ATJakee Youtube Channel !
FallenAngel

As long as any theming is abe to incorporate the legendary Air-Tunnel-Mop-Bucket I'm happy!!
JB1985

I really cant believe this topic is still going, its what, 5 years old?

I would say that IF SW7 is going to be built on AIR's carpark. this is the best chance we have of getting it done...but im not hopeful
FallenAngel

You'd have to think it would be behind X-Sector on the priority list. But Merlin don't seem too shy on their investment so maybe they will surprise us on an "off year" and give us a repaint, new tunnel and a general tidy up.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

[quote=""JB1985""]I really cant believe this topic is still going, its what, 5 years old?

I would say that IF SW7 is going to be built on AIR's carpark. this is the best chance we have of getting it done...but im not hopeful[/quote]

It's still going because some Air themeing is urgently needed.

A lick of paint will be fine.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
MinteButtons

You can tell when closed season is nearing as this topic becomes active. :lol:
The Crab of Nemesis

Yep, it's closed season again! :D

Sad thing is there genuinely were plans to do something with Air. I remember one day when I worked there, some landscape designers (so we were told) came to take pictures, analyse the area and the tunnel for some modifications that were going to be made. Sadly soon after the Skyride had to go and burn down, scuppering all the plans.

Mind you it would have been a nice 2011 addition as we got not a lot else....
ImageSince 2008
BigAl

This year was their perfect opportunity to make a few improvements around the park because we didn't get a new ride. Oh well!
cookiee_munster

maybe if the new coaster for 2013 is built on the air carpark hopefully air may get some much needed TLC, along with something in that bloody tunnel!
thefatone

[quote=""The Crab of Nemesis""]Sad thing is there genuinely were plans to do something with Air. I remember one day when I worked there, some landscape designers (so we were told) came to take pictures, analyse the area and the tunnel for some modifications that were going to be made. Sadly soon after the Skyride had to go and burn down, scuppering all the plans. .[/quote]
Happens pretty much every year recently, they come down to look at tunnel and try and make plans.

It'd be very difficult to do much with it though. It's not watertight, it's not well insulated, and whatever would end up in there would need to be heavily maintained. But it's good that they do continue to look at it.
cookiee_munster

does the floor need to be clear incase of evacuation?

if not, then what about just planting it up? rocks and boulders scattered around with ferns and other shade loving plants living in there?
Mr P

[quote=""cookiee_munster""]does the floor need to be clear incase of evacuation?

if not, then what about just planting it up? rocks and boulders scattered around with ferns and other shade loving plants living in there?[/quote]

I fear that if it were planted up, then the walls, track and floors would just go green with algae, which is arguably worse than empty space.
cookiee_munster

[quote=""Mr P""][quote=""cookiee_munster""]does the floor need to be clear incase of evacuation?

if not, then what about just planting it up? rocks and boulders scattered around with ferns and other shade loving plants living in there?[/quote]

I fear that if it were planted up, then the walls, track and floors would just go green with algae, which is arguably worse than empty space.[/quote]

hmm, yeah.

what about fake plants?

i remember once when air was announced that the grass near the first drop was specifically going to be long so riders could wave their hands across it. i haven't been to the park in a while, but the last time i was there, the grassy area was always cut...? is it still the same?
thefatone

Always cut, cos it'd look awful long.

Fake plants. I had a ten second thought about astroturf even. Then remembered that chewing gum, spit and god knows what else would end up on it. And it'd look rubbish afterwards.
BigAl

I'd rather have money spent on SW7 than Air's tunnel really. If they were going to do something with it then they'd have done so by now. After all, it has been open for 10 seasons now. :/

I love how this topic has 35 pages! Anyway, as you were. :P
ryanlovesaltontowers

Does anyone think they'll leave the Scarefest/Fireworks lights in the air tunnel?, they looked great and if the y were even swapped to LEDs for longer lasting bulb life it would still look great, anyone agree?
Islander

^I somewhat doubt it, but I think it'd be great if they did leave them. It was amazing the difference those two puny lights made.
thefatone

Yeah, I highly doubt they'll be there, or even in the next scarefest period..

Halfway through, picsolve got their DVD system live, and that pretty much cancelled out any of the blue light in the tunnel. So, unless the DVD fails and dies.. I doubt we'll see the lights back again.