Air Tunnel

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
nemesis4lyf

Does this topic include the tunnel that you go through when coming out of the station :? ?
Adam

That is the tunnel which is referred to as: 'The Air Tunnel' The one just before the lift hill...

Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Jon

There are two un-themed Air tunnels though. The first one's worse because its the first thing you're faced with, but the second is hardly a wealth of themeing either. Its all muudy and mankey.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Dr Pop Rocket

I'd love for it to happen and it should happen, the tunnel is hideous but I don't think it'll happen this year, I really hope it does but I just cannot see it happening. Would like to be proved wrong though, I'm sure if Merlin are as dedicated as they are it would be something that would get done this closed season, it's one of those small jobs that need to be done that would drastically improve Air.
Lauren

I really dont see it being themed for a long time, i dont even think alton towers know that people think its hideous.
Liam

Last I heard of it staff were planning to fork out for it themselves! Shows at least some people care within the organisation.
Wes

[quote=""Liam""]Last I heard of it staff were planning to fork out for it themselves! [/quote]

:P Yeh right. Like that will happen.
Mattia

Oh deary me, gone to the lengths of staff members being involved? :oops:

I hope it gets done this year because that tunnel does make me sigh and is such a let down for something as fantastic as air.

Hopefully that will be brought up at the next customer council meet! lol :)
Chris1

I seriously doubt we'll ever see any added theming in the tunnel....

The fact of them matter is, the general public don't really care that there's nothing in there, and i'd be quite suprised if Alton were willing to allocate funds to do anything of substantial proportion to other areas of the park over the closed season, especially when the whole Mutiny Bay project will probably end up going over budget, as most of the parks projects seem to have done in the past...

Just another thorough clean up of the park I would've thought....
Adam

[quote=""Chrïs""]I seriously doubt we'll ever see any added theming in the tunnel....

The fact of them matter is, the general public don't really care that there's nothing in there, and i'd be quite suprised if Alton were willing to allocate funds to do anything of substantial proportion to other areas of the park over the closed season, especially when the whole Mutiny Bay project will probably end up going over budget, as most of the parks projects seem to have done in the past...

Just another thorough clean up of the park I would've thought....[/quote]

But that's the thing! That's where AT let themselfs down. No themeing is needed anywhere, themeing just adds to/expands a situation or ride.

And what if Disney took that view?

"Oh we don't need that big castle there, the public wouldn't be expecting it so lets not bother..." :wink:

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Lauren

But if you think about it, the disney castle has been going for years and is one of the main focus at disney?
Sebastian

The staff helping out with their own ride budgets happened with XNWO at Thorpe, it did improve it quite a lot!
Benbrit

I agree with Adam, if Disney took this same view, then we would not have their world famous rides. The castle may have been there for years but many of their new rides are themed to the same, if not higher, standard eg:Tower of terror. Which has itself become a focal point to many of the diney parks.

Its a laziness and cheapness thing on the part of Alton/ Tussauds in the past, and all we can hope is that Merlin stop this line of thought and decide that they want to make quality attractions... look at Europa park their Themeing and entertainment has just started to gain interest with awards e.t.c ,while Alton simply fade with the paintwork. They cant live off the "glory days" forever and sometime soon they will realise the only way to gain long term profit is to give all of the park a high quality finish, not a rough round the edge look.

Themeing is one of the main things which will turn Air from being a "meh" ride, into a remembered ride across the country, possibly even the world and the tunnel seems like a good place to start as it is so random in its lack of attention, the station works brilliantly, and then you are thrown from a great start into a dark, damp, concrete room. It does need Themeing and should have been done when Air was first built, not left for 5/6 years to fill with mould and oil puddles.

Ben
Colossus

Yeah I agree somthing needs to be done with Airs Tunnel.. But what?

What can be done, which gives good themeing, but has a practical side? Ie yep you could put fountains in there, or a pool of water, but what if you have to evac there, or the chavs spit their chewing gum into the pools and get sucked up by the water fountains... If someone puts a grapic design in the tunnel then its going to be a target practice for chavs...

What was the original spec for the tunnel? Does anyone know?

Pete
Cobra_Roll

I posted it already, But nobody seemed to notice:

Here you go!

Taken from Alton Towers Almanac:

<3-roll. Geddit?
Lauren

:shock: :shock: :shock:
What? Was that the original plans? Or just something someone designed?Well, that seriously is what it should of been or at least something along the lines. Though the station isnt that dark in daytime so the lights wouldnt appear as bright?
Mankey

They should do it nemesis inferno tunnel style but with blue lights instead of red ones :)

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Nick

The tunnel on Inferno is absolutely diabolical! Its just as bad as Air's tunnel now I think. The Inferno tunnel looks horrible! :evil:
spark

[quote=""Nick""]The tunnel on Inferno is absolutely diabolical! Its just as bad as Air's tunnel now I think. The Inferno tunnel looks horrible! :evil:[/quote]

I've not seen the tunnel for a few seasons, any pics?
Nick

You just go into a dark tunnel that just looks full of steel work and scaffolding.