'Unique & Unusual' additions for Towers Street + Gardens

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam

[quote=""[url=http://www.towerstimes.co.uk":2lxba8ig]TowersTimes[/url]"]Towers Times also learnt that Towers Street could be receiving a number of changes that would 'provide a nice, finishing touch', together with some 'unique and unusual' additions to the gardens and a few alterations across the theme park that would make visitors 'see things in a different way'. [/quote]

What could this "additions" be? Seems to be the concentration on small details which is really good to hear. Especially the gardens part - could they be made more popular to walk through?
Nick

I hope a renovation of the conservatories are one their "to-do list", as it isnt much of a sight when walking past. Only problem with that is the idiots that will walk past and continue to throw objects through the glass.
Liam

[quote=""NickAndrews""]I hope a renovation of the conservatories are one their "to-do list", as it isnt much of a sight when walking past. Only problem with that is the idiots that will walk past and continue to throw objects through the glass.[/quote]
Yeah, I agree with you there. Would be great to see them restored at some point soon. Could possibly be turned into an information centre with screens telling you about the history of the garden fountains and monuments etc.
=>TOXIC<=

The problem with the gardens is security they would have to invest a lot of money and staff to ensure that they do not get vandalised by the type of people in Altons main catchment area.
Keep Rollin
Kelly

I love the idea of adding a little something to the gardens. It might give people more reason to walk through them, and realise their true beauty and originality.

Firstly, i'd like to see the conservatories given some tlc, because their in a sorry state atm. Also maybe turn some of the little bungalows that reside in the gardens in to the teashops, to give them a purpose. Plus i really like the idea of a small english teashop for people to escape to. I would also like to see general tidy up of the gardens. Some of the features are in need of some restoration and a good clean up!

Another thing i would like to see is some little attractions, puzzles or games, that allow guests to 'interact' with the gardens more. I don't mean like p2p attractions, something that will fit in with the gardens. Maybe highlighted points in the gardens where you can stand to take pictures or veiw the gardens from a better prospective. And also better directions to features in the gardens, because the only signage i've seen so far is how to get to the parks other areas.

Another thing i would like to see, is some modern garden features added to the gardens, to bring it up to date, while inkeeping with the overfeel feel of the gardens.
Wes

I said in my topic about the gardens, It would be nice to see a little bit on the 21st Century added to the gardens to match the Modern resort that it carried throughout the rest of the park, including water features and monuments.

When you say 'interact' Kelly, I think of a Maze! How magical would that be?! I could see it being a majour feature in the gardens if done well. Im having visions of a 1994esk advert, with Peter rabbit chasing someone through it :cry: . . . . Magical.

Mugz x

:rock:
Kelly

[quote=""Muggins""]When you say 'interact' Kelly, I think of a Maze! How magical would that be?! I could see it being a majour feature in the gardens if done well. Im having visions of a 1994esk advert, with Peter rabbit chasing someone through it . . . . Magical. [/quote]

Thats exactly along the lines of what i was thinking! I think a maze would be great, with the little challenges to do inside it! Just a little something to intise the public into the gardens and bring that bit of magic thats needed. Oh it really does sound magical when you put it like that :P
haydn!

Its good to hear that it appears they've finally remembered attention to detail is a good thing! Is there alot of empty space on the side opposite to Towers Trading? A few boutiques here could be good. Maybe do what Disney do and split the retail into seperate shops, like toys in one, clothing, sweets, etc, etc in seperate places as well as the "superstore" style Trading store.

Also, improvements to the gardens sounds good, although its not something I'd probably enjoy personally I think it would benefit the park. I like the idea of photo spots, better signage and maybe small information placques about the different species of plant etc?

The park could do well with adding a few little attractions like this. Maybe in Storybook Land they could add a walk through attraction which is meant to Henry Hounds house/kennel? A bit like the houses in ToonTown and Disney World.
Craig

Shops wise, maybe a seperate sweet shop would be a good idea. the place is heaving with people getting pic n mix at the end of the day (9 times out of 10 that includes me :P) so getting rid of that part of the shop into another location would leave more room for clothings and other bits and pieces.
Cobra_Roll

All these pieces of news... All on the same day...

Project: Dolphin has officially been put into action methinks!
<3-roll. Geddit?
Adz
Admin
Admin

Project Dolphin I think you'll find, is either suspended, cancelled or unrelated.
Squiggles

Am I the only one for whom the phrase "unique and unusual" sends a shiver up and down their spine. I dunno why, but when something is advertised as "unusual and unique" it often means... ummm... tacky. Take for example these fine gifts which are advertised as "unusual and unique".

Anything they add in there has to be sympathetic to what is already there, because as soon as you start to add random dross to them you will destroy whatever beauty they originally had. It is at times like these I'm glad they are Grade one listed, so that Tussauds can't just do what they like to them.

Of course if AT wanted to make the most out of the gardens (and indeed the ruins) the most sensible way to go about this would be to try and attract the sort of clientelle that enjoy walking round gardens; the largely untapped market of old people. Perhaps they could do this by introducing a *shock horror, we're not going to empty their purses in one fowl swoop* OAP discount. And the best thing about old dudes - they come by the busload and are cheap and easy to entertain!

[quote=""haydnjames""]Its good to hear that it appears they've finally remembered attention to detail is a good thing! Is there alot of empty space on the side opposite to Towers Trading? A few boutiques here could be good. Maybe do what Disney do and split the retail into seperate shops, like toys in one, clothing, sweets, etc, etc in seperate places as well as the "superstore" style Trading store. [/quote]

That's what Towers Street was originally designed for, it was originally about 10 different units, but all of these (barr the bank and restaurants) were removed when Tussauds took over.
Edwardo..... move me!
doom+sons1988

It sounds good whatever they mean but you couldn't do anything on the opposite side of the street unless you moved the admin to a different section.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Anonymous

[quote=""doom+sons1988""]It sounds good whatever they mean but you couldn't do anything on the opposite side of the street unless you moved the admin to a different section.[/quote]

:roll:
karen1

[quote=""Cobra_Roll""]All these pieces of news... All on the same day...

Project: Dolphin has officially been put into action methinks![/quote]

No it definitely isn't project dolphin, we were told that on Saturday. I don't think project dolphin is in operation any more. This new project has a different project title (although we were not told what!)

On a different note when I was walking through the gardens on Friday to take some photos I did notice that there were 2 guys working in the conservatory fixing the windows and tidying up.
Nutty dreadz

[quote=""Kelly""][quote=""Muggins""]When you say 'interact' Kelly, I think of a Maze! How magical would that be?! I could see it being a majour feature in the gardens if done well. Im having visions of a 1994esk advert, with Peter rabbit chasing someone through it . . . . Magical. [/quote]

Thats exactly along the lines of what i was thinking! I think a maze would be great, with the little challenges to do inside it! Just a little something to intise the public into the gardens and bring that bit of magic thats needed. Oh it really does sound magical when you put it like that :P[/quote]

Great idea! A maze would look quite nice - Fun for all round ages, and it wouldnt exactly spoil the views of the gardens either, so hopefully there wouldnt be too much complaining!! They could add a new family section to the gardens where all these games are. Perhaps they could have some of them giant board game things. You know, like garden Jenga etc. Or a giant chessboard like the one at the hotel.
Squiggles

The problems with a maze, or games in general is that they take up large amounts of space - something the gardens don't have. Plus they'd surely have problems getting permission from English Heritage for such large permanent structures being added. However, perhaps such things could be added in the woods next to the gardens, some sort of maze in the woods would be amazing, plus wouldn't cause nearly so many issues as trying to add one to the gardens themselves. (and it would be quite a unique addition)
Edwardo..... move me!
haydn!

A maze, one of the oldests and best family attractions would be a great addition to the gardens or woodlands areas. A hedge maze would fit in well with the gardens, however would take years to mature, so i think a wooden fence design would be best, espeacially suited to the woodland areas. It would be made to be as minimally intrusive as possible this way - with instead of wooden panneling, make a stick/branch fence?
jam&lob

I would like the conservatories to be turned into a tea-room type of thing. I think a small maze would be a great idea for the gardens.
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/
mike22

Hi people,

I hope in Alton Towers plans that they incoporate the idea of experiencing something extraordinary into the new elements in the gardens to give them that edge back again. Experiencing something extraordinary at the gardens at Alton Towers today! I love it - lol

Cheers

Mike 22:W