Space Mountain !

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
TeenAnger

Hi , I just thought of this for where the 'black hole tent' is
Maybe keep the tent, but cut out a hole in the tent rather facing towards the towers or enterprise, preferbably the towers. You could have a space mountain type of ride. with firstly the ride going as far backwards and underground as possible, then suddnely jolting forwards and upwards with one giant loop ( still in darkness ) then breaking through the hole in the tent and continuing as heigh and as far forwards as possible before suddenly hitting the breaks . and rolling back down to the begining.

Would this be any good ? I know it isnt the most thrilling of rides But it may work. Maybe have the ride sets lying down , like the black hole used to be. or have it abit like the rita seats.

Jamie_x
[url=http]Image[/img]
Anonymous

I definitely would like to see another indoor coaster at AT, preferrably one with Space Mountain quality themeing, but I do think the Black Hole site would be too small. Perhaps in the car park behind Air would be ideal. At least that way we'd finally lose that horrible view of the car park on Air's last turn.
Certainly, I'd imagine a major indoor coaster is highly likely because there's a lot less noise than an outdoor one.
doom+sons1988

I'd imagine a major indoor coaster is highly likely because there's a lot less noise than an outdoor one.
Exactly. Also they demand far more theming and a intresting concept to be seen to be new and different.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
gloomywood

Alton Towers shouldn't even attempt to match disney standards, no way!. Black Hole's gone and it's forgotten by a lot of people I've spoken to. It was a terror of a ride, unsafe and poor quality. They shouldn't even try to imitate a pure genius, superb quality ride like space mountain.
Anonymous

Coming from a person who is in love with Duel, and obviously rates that a good ride.
AstroDan

They could EASILY put in a Mack coaster in the tent. They could do a MACK wild mouse with an elevator lift - to save space. The Matterhorn Blitz at EP takes 1,100 people per hour which for a wild mous style ride is very good.

Mack Wild Mouse coasters are very compact and the cars could be themed to space? Would work well.
gloomywood

Duel is a darn good ride, Why because it has good effects and is interactive. Alton Towers is a wonderful park, but it could never match the outstanding quality of Disney. They are the king of the theme park industry, trying to immitate a space ride like space mountain would be an awful mistake. They should make something useful of the tent and ermmm, ermm

DESTROY IT AND BUILD SOMETHING USEFUL
Ash

They cant. There not stupid its suicide!

Its much easier put something in a tent thats already there than one that isnt and you have to build from scratch!
Lozza

The black hole wasn't unsafe, it passed all the safety tests while it was running didn't it?!
I would love to see another coaster in the tent, something really compact with lots of really tight turns and brilliant theming. I think it would be a waste to put a flat in such a perfect place for a an indoor coaster plus it's already proven that an indoor coaster would attract people towards it like black hole did. I think that something that people will take notice of is needed there because x-sector is losing a lot of crowds and therefore making it worse for other more popular areas :D
:D
CGM

It was a terror of a ride, unsafe and poor quality.
Black Hole was perfectly safe, I can't think of any accidents that it's had. It may of just felt unsafe and out of controll. I personally loved the ride but anyway, I see no reason why Alton couldn't try a Disney standard of themeing. It's not just a case of "Oh Disney's done it therefore no one else has the ability". All it takes is good planning and investment which Alton havn't been doing in recent years. I thought that the Black Hole station theming was excellent anyway
Tom M

I heard on here sometime last year that a woman broke a rib on it when the breaks came on, pff as if. It was a perfectly safe ride and the only reason they had to close it a season earlier than planned was because H&S wanted them to put evacuation stairs on the spiral lift costing 300,000 I think which AT didnt want to waste on as they were getting rid of the ride for '06 season anyway.

Tom. :(
m4++

I would like to see this happen, it would fit in with the X-Sector theming aswell. Anyway Blackhole cant be that unsafe haven't they sold it to another park?
Beaver Dude

Hex is easily up to Disney standards as is Nemesis so I see now reason why the replacement of BH couldn't be.
gloomywood

[quote=""Beaver Dude""]Hex is easily up to Disney standards as is Nemesis so I see now reason why the replacement of BH couldn't be.[/quote]Hex is no way as good as the Illusions of Disney's haunted mansion. The AT Design team just haven't got the edge.

The Coasters which they produce, aka John Wardley, makes the best rollercoaster designs in the country. Nemesis is of good quality, but nowhere near as good as some of the coasters in the US. If AT ever even so much as tried to play catch up with disney, they'd fall flat on their face. Let's face it, Disney are the best in the world. They don't have to keep copying their own rides, Space mountain has been put into all the parks admittedley, however, they didn't decide to call it Space Mountain: Inferno. They're running out of ideas, and pretty soon it will start to get boring.

I think there should be another ride in place of the tent, but it should not try and imitate a disney ride, no way, they haven't got the quality and customer service disney has to make a ride like that special. They should think about something original, not the same stuff.
Adam

[quote=""Beaver Dude""]Hex is easily up to Disney standards as is Nemesis so I see now reason why the replacement of BH couldn't be.[/quote]

Yeah, i say Duel is better than Tower of Terror at Disney too! :roll:

Disney is Disney, Alton Towers is Alton Towers. Disney will always beat AT sh*tless no matter what ride it is.

The amount of time and errort put into themeing alone at Disney is why the rides are so amazing! Themeing makes a ride from good to amazing. AT try, but their just not good at themeing.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Lozza

^ exactly! Personally i think that the space mountain sort of theme for an indoor attraction is really good but it is pointless alton doing it. It is obvious that no matter how hard they try, disney's existing one will beat it hands down. I would personally love to see a ride of a similar standard of theming (we can all dream!) but a different theme, something to make it very individual and what people will realte to that ride and that ride only, like people always think of nemesis when blood waterfalls on a ride are mentioned.
Ash

I thought the stairs for the BH were £200,000?

Or am i wrong?

Anyway it isnt going to happen. It will be hard because the tent was made specifically for that ride which makes it harder! I would love to see something with a vertical lift which drops down and spirals around the lift tower. Into the smaller section where it does a helix then back for another helix around the tower. A high banked corner over the station and then down, round the tower and back up into brakes, a right turn then another for the station.

I will try to get pictures up asap!
CGM

Hex is no way as good as the Illusions of Disney's haunted mansion. The AT Design team just haven't got the edge.
I actually thought that Haunted Mansion was terrible compared to Hex. It didn't live up to the hype and it completely failed to scare me. Hex ticked both of these boxes
gloomywood

[quote=""CGM""]
Hex is no way as good as the Illusions of Disney's haunted mansion. The AT Design team just haven't got the edge.
I actually thought that Haunted Mansion was terrible compared to Hex. It didn't live up to the hype and it completely failed to scare me. Hex ticked both of these boxes[/quote]:yikes:

Disney's haunted mansion is not intended to scare people, it is pure genius and people will stand there in amazement looking at it thinking, how do they do that?

Hex- No way! When I went on, I travelled with a group of school mates (There were 15 of us in total) and every single one of us said - it's crap! All of us had visited disney and said how the ride failed to meet the criteria of a good dark ride, afterall what is a ride where you walk aimlessley for 10 or so minutes before entering a room that makes you feel see sick? Bigges mistake AT Ever made.

But back on topic, I'm not saying something shouldn't be there, I'm just saying they should NOT try and imitate the kings of the theme park world. The mouse will beet the towers with his more powerful magic anytime.
Lozza

^ first part i have to diagree with, i always thought that hex was quite well thought out and that you weren't just wondering aimlessly as as soon as everyone is in and the doors are shut pre shows are shown. In previosu years i wasn't overally impressed with hex but what i didn't know was that all the effects weren't working. On my last visit, despite been on many times before, it really impressed me with everything working.it's really wierd how little things make a difference!
On the second part i do agree, if they were to try and copy disney- they would fail miserably. They should try and make it individual and themed to the highest standards (not just stick a ride in a tent and hope no-one gets bored) and also keep all the effects working as the average person goes once a year or less and most likely won't be aware of the full effect of everything working on the ride :D