Space Mountain !

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AstroDan

I am sorry, Disney are NOT the best in the world. That is such an easy thing to say.

To me, they are equal to some other superbly themed parks. Europa Park for one, is absolutely amazing in every department. For example, Poseidon's station is REAL stone! In fact, it's better than Disney as it feels less commercial and it is a helluva lot cheaper and has more coasters! Like, loads more coasters!

At AT, select rides like Hex and Nemesis, in my opinion are on a par with Disney. However Disney could NEVER beat The Towers themselves.
Ash

True but if you think about Alton based a lot on Disney with the castle AKA The Towers and also some of the rides are similar. It just doesnt have the same atmosphere though at all!
Lozza

I don't really think the rides are similar, obviously theme parks will have some things in common as it would be impossible otherwise. I wouldn't have thought alton are copying disney as you don't really ever hear about people comparing to two so much, they are both quite different parks with disney being more family orientated and alton going for slightly more thrills. Like AstroDancer said, disney aren't really the best in the world anymore, more parks like europa park are catching up fast!
:D
Ash

No they dont know but they did in the early days!

River Rapids
Main Street Carnival-Tower Street Carnival
Mickey and Minney-Henry and Henrietta
The Castle- The Towers
Towers Street-Main Street
Around the world in 80 days-Around the World in 80 days
Monorail-Monorail

All coincedence? I think not!

:P
gloomywood

Exactly!

Alton Towers attempts to mimic disney in every way! Take the Haunted House's Head in the fire (Madame Leota), The ghosts in the mist effect (The organ in HM) Disney will always do better because it is for EVERYONE. Alton Towers is for thrills with minimal Family orientated experiences. This means that it cuts off its audience at a certain point. Disney doesn't, it has the equation in perfect balance. AT needs work. I'm a huge fan, but it needs work. The Disney Magic is perfect, but AT should never try and match it with a space mountain immitation, the critics would slate it.

Any TRUE enthusiast will tell you that Disney always has the edge, and AT should never try and match it, it can try but it will fail. Masterminds like John Wardley are the only people that give AT a glimmer of hope, and there's only one of him, he should move to Disney, I think his expertise would be of much more use there and the pay would be better :) :P

GlOoMy WoOd
doom+sons1988

The Haunted House- Haunted Mansion ?
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Lozza

The Disney Magic is perfect, but AT should never try and match it with a space mountain immitation, the critics would slate it.

Any TRUE enthusiast will tell you that Disney always has the edge, and AT should never try and match it, it can try but it will fail.
I have to agree with you there, there is no point in alton attempting to copy disney, thats why i think they need something individual. Like nemesis, it's not the best coaster in the world and it hasn't got the best theming but it has a selling point that people associate with it (it being built in a hole) which makes it quite unique. A ride that could be built in the black hole tent would be better if it wasn't just a worlds first but very different and out of the ordinary.
The Castle- The Towers
alton towers didn'tcopy disney for that :P
Ash

You would be surprised!

There are quite a few likeness. Rides, themes, areas, entertainment!
Lozza

I didn't really realise the similarities of them from when they were in the past until you pointed it out. But i think they should really unassociate themselves with disney now that they are well established park, which they are doing. Yes in the past they may have copied them but who can blame them? it was a proven success and if they did copy, they didn't fail miserably to make them the park they are today. I don't know if i'm being dumb or something but i don't really see what makes it seem like they copy disney more than any other park do.
River rapids: a lot of parks have river rapids type rides!
Mickey and Minney-Henry and Henrietta: a lot of parks have mascots- it's not liek they have done them as rats or something else similar!
and i hardly think that having existing towers is copying disney's fake castle! :D
cressie

theres too many space moantains for my likeing but still there cool
i hope they build summat like it but not an exact copy of spce moantain
Nutty dreadz

I think it's a great idea - I've only been on the Space Mountain in Orlando, the Paris one looks much better.

It would great to do it in X Sector, and call it "Black Hole 2", or summit along those lines relating to the Black Hole.
It would fit so well with the X Sector theming - Only snag is, I think you'd need much more room, and there's not really much space to play with in X Sector. Could move Enterprise and Submission maybe, but I don't think it would be that easy to move Oblivion!
CGM

Why shouldn't people try to go after Disney? We're never going to get better theming if we don't try
doom+sons1988

Tussauds does not have the money or the talent to do anything in the standard of disney but they still should try.

I think Tussauds should set up a seperate company similar to Disney's Imagineering Ltd or Universal Creative. Something other than Tussauds Studios but a company that dreams up ideas that they think is impossible to recreate but have a try anyway.

The main problem with Tussauds is that they play everything safe, I think nemesis is the only risk they've ever made.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
UkRoCkChIcK

Am I the only person who was absolutely bored sh*tless by Disneyland, Paris? They've got like 2 rides which adults can go on, that's it. I've never been to the one in Florida, but IMO from what I've experienced on Disneyland it bites. At least Alton has it's theming in different parts of the park, so each ride/section is a new experience. I was totally blown away by Alton Towers when I first visited, Disney didn't impress me at all.

Oh and comparing the two monorails in the parks is just plain stupid saying 'AT have copied Disney'. I'm sure you'd soon have something to say if you actually had to WALK that distance to get into the park
Lauren

:? You cant compare alton towers to disney, for one they are in a totaly different country , disney is in a bigger area , makesmore money and has more visitors. Disney IS NOT the best in the world , check on RCDB and websites similar , disney cant be the best! As UkRoCkChIcK said ,
Oh and comparing the two monorails in the parks is just plain stupid saying 'AT have copied Disney'. I'm sure you'd soon have something to say if you actually had to WALK that distance to get into the park
And river rapids , allmost every park has river rapids its a extra water ride for the young and old to enjoy.
So i dont think you should compare alton towers to such a rich park.
Anonymous

[quote=""UkRoCkChIcK""]Am I the only person who was absolutely bored sh*tless by Disneyland, Paris? They've got like 2 rides which adults can go on, that's it. I've never been to the one in Florida, but IMO from what I've experienced on Disneyland it bites. At least Alton has it's theming in different parts of the park, so each ride/section is a new experience. I was totally blown away by Alton Towers when I first visited, Disney didn't impress me at all.
[/quote]

You can't be serious!

I could respect your point based upon Alton towers being themed imaginatively 5 years or so ago, but it's such a mish mash now. Take a look at Towers Street, which a couple of years ago had a fascia revamp making it consist now of about 5 themes, clashing like a colourblind transvestite. Ugland has been decimated and allowed to deteriorate. park is full of empty tents like an armageddon hit girl guide camp. Gardens have been run down for years, now overgrowing with Rhodedendron which looks pretty when flowering but takes no work at all. Forbidden Valley since Air doesnt link. X sector is best remembered for its steep hill. To me only Katanga works still as an immersive themed area, but even that is spoilt by the ridiculous 'hammer' P2P.

I suspect when you went to Disney in Paris you managed to disable at least 3 of your bodily senses, and probably all 5. DLP isn't perfect granted, but IMHO is let down by 'People' rather than the 'Place'

As to your quote of '2' rides I'm begining to think you didnt make it past the entry turnstyles. Maybe you took Minimum as Maximum?. DLP is a great example of integrated rides for the whole family to ride together with few cancelling out large chunks of family groups. DLP has 2 rides with height restrictions over 1.1mtr, Alton has 7. When you consider the Queue'ing time on an average day, it doesnt really represent an integrated family day does it?
haydn!

What a load of old b*****ks, Alton copying Disney? If they're guilty of this then so is every other sucessful theme park across the world.

In the early Days, Disney set the standard yes, and to an extent they still do. Though they now get tuff competition from Universal, Europa.

And what muppet can say Alton Towers copied of Disney with the Towers and Castle thing? If I'm not mistaken, the Towers at Alton Towers have been around since long before cartoons were ever made and Disney banked its first buck! Disney is about bringing fairytale to life - ever fairytale has a princess and a castle, hence why its the centre piece of every Disney park. Alton Towers use of the Towers is simply because it started out as a stately home visitor attraction, and gradually evolved into a theme park. Using the Towers as a marketing tool is common sense not fraud.

Other similar rides/areas/attractions I think are just coincidences with perhaps the exclusion of the Haunted House and Runnaway Train. Where these weren't copies of Disney rides, they were installed in direct response to the opening of Disney Land Paris.
UkRoCkChIcK

I suspect when you went to Disney in Paris you managed to disable at least 3 of your bodily senses, and probably all 5.
When I give my opinion on things I don't appreciate being slated to be made out to be some air head. You gave your opinion and I respect that, but I'm just saying DP doesn't work for me at all. The only rides I find that are any good for adults are Space Mountain and the Mine Train. Even then we had to queue for an hour and a half :(
but IMHO is let down by 'People' rather than the 'Place'
Nooo I'd have to say it was the place. The people don't come into the place being 'let down'.

On a final note though, please when people give an opinion, don't insult their intelligance just because you don't agree with everything they're saying. People are entitled to their own opinions.
Anonymous

[quote=""UkRoCkChIcK""]
The only rides I find that are any good for adults are Space Mountain and the Mine Train. [/quote]

Clearly that's your own perogative only liking two rides there but it is a rather sweeping statement saying 'any good for adults'. Granted, Disney is not full of 'white knuckle fairground rides' and if your primary reason for visiting is to only enjoy these, you are certain to be a bit dissapointed. I think the success of DLP and most European theme parks probably illustrates clearly that such visitors belong in quite a small niche and don't represent the majority of their customers

Whilst Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are excellent rides, they IMO are only a component of a successful theme park. I would rate Pirates of the Carribean equally but oh for so different reasons and find the parades and live entertainment well worth the entrance fee alone.

As for your Q time, did you not take advantage of the FREE resource of Fastpass?. Last time I checked Alton charge you for this and penalise you with equally as long Queues if you don't give in to their blatant profiteering.
Anonymous

[quote=""haydnjames""]
Other similar rides/areas/attractions I think are just coincidences with perhaps the exclusion of the Haunted House and Runnaway Train. Where these weren't copies of Disney rides, they were installed in direct response to the opening of Disney Land Paris.[/quote]

Don't forget the most blatant one of all, Black Hole. Initially themed like the Queue on Space Mountain in Florida, then changed into a cheapish Jules Verne stationesque experience once the DLP one had opened.