Merlin Entertainments General Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Robin

pm me who you are
Liam

What a god-tacky name "Merlin" is?!?! Do they have any class at all?!
Chris1

Notice the Chessington logo on Merlin's website......

I'd prefer it if Merlin kept the Tussauds above the attraction logo, just looks better...
Thomas

Agreed, the name Merlin is abit tacky, but im sure that's maybe only because we have gotten so use to Tussuad's maybe? :?

Would have been nice if they had kept the Tussuad's branding but i guess was not meant to be. Some good i would have thought could come out of it with a re-branding, some fresh new ideas :)
Redcoat Jase

I hope Merlin undo all the work Tussauds have done so that each individual attraction is exactly that, individual! I hate going to Thorpe Park and seeing 'Now Visit Alton Towers' or Thorpe Park being advertised all over Alton Towers, it just feels like you've wasted your time visiting 'this' attraction when 'this other' attraction is better!

I like the fact Merlin don't slap their name on all of their attractions that they currently have, and I really hope they stay this way! - I'd also like them to get rid of Tussauds Studios. It sounds kinda harsh, but I hate the way theming is the same at each Tussauds park and you look at it and think 'That was done by Tussauds Studios'... Some of it is good stuff, but it's just not original.
Tussauds was a 'quality' brand, up there with the likes of Walkers, Sainsbury's and Heinz, but I'm hoping Merlin are going to show Tussauds how to run an attraction properly now! :)
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
Danzaw*nk

I do agree about the theming, for most of Alton's recent theming it looks very cartoony and unrealistic - don't like it at all. Hopefully we'll see that change!

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
stokywolf

Each attraction will become it's own Individual attraction with no branding on it, just like the chessington logo, it will simply state that and not merlin ents.

Alton Towers will be just Alton Towers with no brand owning name on it.

I'm sorry to see Tussauds go, i love the brand and i feel like our tussuads attractions have gone too some cheap like company which just seems tacky and yuk. Not what i like at all!
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Ant

It is kind of sad to hear the name "Tussauds" will from this day and over time will be no more, Obviously except for Madame Tussauds of course.

Ive lost all respect recently for the word Tussauds, I used to think of it as quality now I just look at and think Rip off prices, Budget Cuts, Trying to scrounge every penny as possible, the name doesn't mean much to me as it once did the quality of the name really has gone for me. I think a fresh start and Merlin all the way, and a new era of quality so we hope.

But the no Merlin branding on the logos sounds like a start :D .
Dr Pop Rocket

Merlin can only do good in my opinion, Tussauds really had gone down hill over the past few years, there was no passion and enthusiasm, it was all about the money, which lead to some really bad moves and additions at the parks.

All of Merlin's attractions seem to be themed rather well, and they seem to take pride in their work, another thing which I read on another forum is that the Chief Exec of Merlin Nick Varney, grew his career through Alton Towers and was part responsible for the likes of Nemesis...

So hopefully he still has the same drive, passion and enthusiasm he had over 10 years ago, if he does, then we could have a bright future.

Dr Pop :)
Wes

[quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""]Chief Exec of Merlin Nick Varney, grew his career through Alton Towers and was part responsible for the likes of Nemesis... [/quote]

*whipes tear from eye*

Thats the most beautiful thing you can hear.
Redcoat Jase

Remember what happened when Tussauds took over Alton Towers back in the early 90's we got the attractions that made the place what it is today! Haunted House, Katanga Canyon, Nemesis. I would've thought that Merlin would want to make their mark on the place too.

Also, with Tussauds being removed, I would say that it puts an end to the whole catering issue, whereby everything looks the same Group-Wide as regards to signage and branding of outlets, which was terrible!!

If Alton Towers manages to be somekind of British Gardaland, I'll be over the moon, as it can only be better I suppose? :?
Wes

Just a point. How much of a say will Merlin actually have as to what happens to their parks?

Is it not normally up to management?
Redcoat Jase

[quote=""Muggins""]Just a point. How much of a say will Merlin actually have as to what happens to their parks?

Is it not normally up to management?
[/quote]

I would imagine the same input as Tussauds had, I would also guess the way things are 'done', by management or frontline hosts, would change to the Merlin way, or perhaps Merlin will adopt some of Tussauds' methods?

I don't see it as a bad thing that this has happened, At the moment, any change is good for Alton Towers.
leejay

I suppose they would just say we'd like x, y and z to be achieved. Hopefully the 20% DIC still own won't cause too much of a problem. I do love the way Chief Exec of Merlin Nick Varney doesn't shy away from where he grew his career. Maybe it is a little like his homecomming and we may see some sort of "This is Merlins era" mark.
Nick

When it comes to big decisions about investmets and rides etc, i'm sure that DIC will let the experts, Merlin, run the show, as they have the knowledge and experiance in the Theme Park Industry. DIC will be there purely for the profits now
leejay

[quote=""Nick""]DIC will be there purely for the profits now.[/quote]

No change there then ...

20% is still a hefty share in the profits though. Considering they are doing nothing for the company, and havn't really advanced it much either.
Danzaw*nk

Well the less the DIC do the better! :)

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Mi-Nigle

ok..so if merlin just took over tussauds then they have just wasted time on that promotion vid around the park, it hasn't been on for long.

or have i completely missed the point about this merlin thing?
Nick

They havn't just taken over, they have been the majority shareholder for a few weeks now, its just recently when the Tussauds name has gone
Wes

[quote=""Nick""]They havn't just taken over, they have been the majority shareholder for a few weeks now, its just recently when the Tussauds name has gone[/quote]

Where did you hear that?

Im sure that they have been processing over the past few weeks and had only been finalized and changed on the 22nd?